U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times

Advertisements

You also have costs today that you didn't have in the past.
TV was free remember ? Few, if any, had internet. Most meals were still made from scratch and FF was a luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You also have costs today that you didn't have in the past.
TV was free remember ? Few, if any, had internet. Most meals were still made from scratch and FF was a luxury.
In 1970, there was no internet, and no cell phones and no cable tv.

Most homes had a maximum of 2 phones. We had one in the hallway downstairs (there was a "built in" niche made for the phone to be placed there!) and one upstairs in that hallway.

Folks who "ate out" once a week were NOT the norm, but if they went to a restaurant, it was usually on Friday or Saturday night and was a big deal.

Many areas did not even have a McDonalds or any other type of "fast food." In 1970, I am not even sure that Hardees was widespread - I am thinking they were established in the late 60s. Seems like french fries were 12 cents, lol. I believe we got the first McD's in my town in 1971 or 1972. All the others - Burger King, Taco Bell - I never saw them til later. I have been told White Castle was around but they were in a different part of the country than where I grew up.

People were buying color TVs by 1970, but if there were 2 TVs, one was the "old" black and white, lol.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,521,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
think about the fact a pencil cost 1 days wages back in the early days ,today a few minutes of work . a bicycle about a weeks wage .

think about the fact in the 1800's one ounce of gold bought a good mans suit and a pair of shoes. know what one ounce buys today? a good mans suit and a pair of shoes.
My parents bought me my first bicycle in 1971 at the Coast to Coast hardware store and it cost $50, which was probably just about the weeks wage you spoke of.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think if someone keeps honest records about the total costs of owning - especially over a period of many years/decades - it's hard to make money for the most part. Some areas - like where my father's old house is (where the land value is huge because of the boating access) - are the exception - not the general rule. Robyn
It was hard for people in the 80s to guess which affordable areas would become the most demanded in the future, where the major employers would locate and where the best schools would be. Wherever your home is, there are going to be the ongoing costs of repairs, maintenance and renovations. Property taxes are included in rent so everyone pays that. When you add up all of the money spent on the home over 20-30 years it can often exceed the ultimate sale price, but for many areas you will still exit with enough to pay cash for a home in a less expensive area, because all that money you spent already, and now you have a home ready to sell for $700k and you only owe $150k or perhaps the mortgage is paid off. In our area, many of use close to retirement have chosen to stay where we are until then, and our values have come back to what they were before the crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or