U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's not many places left to invest your "cash" for a decent return.
Sure you get a blip of a downturn but the always bounce back higher than before.
careful... there is ALWAYS next time

I have had my share of 'laggards" (and a dooZy at the moment). (some commercial bare land... 8 yrs and not moving) Much cheaper to buy a commercial building than to build one... and who needs a building? (Amazon). Just Dr's and dentists and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 11:05 AM

223 posts, read 275,094 times
I haven't read all of the posts but I did read something a few months ago that indicated that many investors from South America are buying up properties in Florida. They are seem to have issues with the currency in their own countries and feel that US real estate is a good buy. I'm not sure, but I believe that this only applied to Florida and not to other states. It seems that the tropical climate in Florida really appealed to buyers who were accustomed to warm weather.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,795,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh it's not just housing but farmland is being bought up as well for cash.
People with money to spend are getting rid of their cash in favor of tangible assets.
Yep...there not making any more land, and would buy it over a house or condo.

Cool thread that says what we already know..many foreign buyers with cash and the market is back and has been for some time now. The boomers selling and downsizing and making a few bucks is cool..But we are talking about RE here, and when will the bubble burst again...It seams like a 10 year cycle!!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 PM

71,778 posts, read 71,875,234 times
Oh yes they are making more land. Battary park city here in manhattan is sitting on landfill where the water once was.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:16 PM

29,808 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Oh yes they are making more land. Battary park city here in manhattan is sitting on landfill where the water once was.
Foster City outside of San Fran same thing.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Sounds like a healthy place to build..yeah think After the payoffs and cleanup i'm sure they will build, but get real..

They ain't making the good stuff anymore..

Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Sounds like a healthy place to build..yeah think After the payoffs and cleanup i'm sure they will build, but get real..

They ain't making the good stuff anymore..
Foster City in Calif is very high end with a younger very well educated population.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,526,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
How many of the homes are actually "people" buying them vs. companies buying them and turning them into rentals?

When I lived in Atlanta in 2012, large numbers of homes were being scooped up by investment companies who would then do minimal repairs and touch ups and put them on the rental market.
Yup.

I remember an article from 2012 about a group of private investors that bought 800 distessed properties in the Phoenix area to rehab and rent out.

There have been a lot of big investment companies like Blackstone and Colony Capital that have bought properties in bulk at big discounts.

There are also a lot of foreign money snapping them up from Canada and China. Especially Southern California and Florida. Canadians are buying vaction homes in Florida, Chinese are buying homes for their young adult children to live in while they attend college in SoCal.

The average wage earner is still locked out of the market with bad credit and heavy student loan debt.

That's what I'm seeing as I study housing from the point of view of a small-time landlord/investor.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Foster City in Calif is very high end with a younger very well educated population.
What does younger and very well educated have to do with building on toxic land. Sounds like the very well
educated may be a bit naive..

Let's see, I'm getting married and plan on having kids and they can play on the former toxic landfill!! But I'm
highly educated..

Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
What does younger and very well educated have to do with building on toxic land. Sounds like the very well
educated may be a bit naive..

Let's see, I'm getting married and plan on having kids and they can play on the former toxic landfill!! But I'm
highly educated..
They are young well educated, affluent who tend to vote Democratic and are into environmental issues. My son and then fiancé lived there for two years I had your same level of apprehension when they moved there and then I did the research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or