U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times

Advertisements

Minervah, you'll be arriving in Cleveland just in time for "Johnny Football" fever....are you ready for it
Those Cleveland Brown fans are going wild right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:08 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Minervah, you'll be arriving in Cleveland just in time for "Johnny Football" fever....are you ready for it
To others in the AFC North the statement Brown fans are going wild sounds out of character.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Regarding numbers one and two, I think that many retirees don't tend to move where they think the grass will be greener or where there is a perceived nirvana but rather for more practical reasons. I admit I am going by my experience and those of the majority of what I read as well as my friends. What I see is that younger people might move for more idealistic reasons but older people tend to make a relocation choice for much more practical reasons such as the many already stated here: COL, taxes, weather, to be nearer to family from whom they may have moved away or have move away from them etc.

In my situation when I was in my thirties, I moved 2,000 miles from friends and family to a new city for the adventure and to begin a new life for various reasons. I didn't think the grass was greener or I was going to Nirvana. I just hoped that life would be different and maybe better. And that turned out to be true. Now I am relocating close to the area from where I came because it will just work out better for me in every way especially financially.

Anyway, there are so many factors as to why one relocates. These have been hashed out over and over again. There is only one truism and that is the reasons for relocation are different for different people. And those will probably be different at different times of people's lives. My first move was because I wanted to. My second is because I have to. I simply can no longer afford to live where I am. But that's okay, I have some great things waiting for me where I am going. It isn't Nirvana but it will do nicely.

There is no one size fits all. It's nice to have options but sometimes people don't. As the saying goes, you just have to bloom where you're planted. Sometimes you just have to replant yourself.
I should have put COL on here but I was pressed for time. The words I used were hasty but I will not take it back. You are right COL is a factor. It should be taken into consideration. Thanks for bringing that in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Boy this is a great post and has given me cause to pause. Our plan is to downsize and re-locate, Maryland is a very espensive place and I'm not sure retirement will be an option given our limited resources. But every time we take a trip we return home and I don't want to move. I know we will need to downsize, the upkeep and costs to maintain our current home is too much, and I'm not sure there are affordable options near us. But you make great points
Now as to staying in place or not downsizing is an excellent option. It is one that is on our table.

For those who do not know I am 2 years into a 6 to 7 year plan to figure out where I will be when I formally retire. I am military. I have pensions I admit. I have been doing this military thing for almost 37 years now and when I hang up my boots I hope to have just under 40 years. I am married to a wonderful woman who has put up with deployments and separations of various lengths and locations for the past 34 years. We did well in living while we had the chance. We have had a wonderful life and I regret not one minute (okay just a few times). I am ready to call it a day soon. Not yet mind you but soon. When I do I do not expect to have to work, but I might. It will be doing stuff I want.

So my point for our family is we are used to other locations. We are not really tied hard to Massachusetts. It will be fairly easy to relocate provided we find what we want. The one thing the two of us want is a smaller place and after that all is up for grabs. I want to golf a lot and she will accompany me a lot of times. I do not want to deal with yard work but I can do some. I will not be shoveling snow. If it snows I am just going to stay home and be with my C-D buddies or play computer games drinking coffee. So staying in MA under those circumstances can work if we say find a condo or townhouse that does HOA and takes care of that. COL is kind of high but is it more than what it would be for me to sell here move and buy into a new place somewhere else? I don't know. It is something being weighed in on our decision. If we do move where is it that the two of us will end up? We don't know yet. We have tossed out some ideas. Our list is short and we will visit and even stay but when we decide it will be a compromise between the two of us.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
First of all, I have to say how much I will miss you, Minervah, even though we've never met. I'm saddened that you have to leave a place you've obviously enjoyed living in. As a Floridian who is relocating to Portland upon my husband's retirement, I regularly check and have posted in the Portland forum and have read so many helpful posts written by you. I wish you the best in your replanting!

I'm excited about my own repotting adventure, and now the other poster who asked where people who already live in Florida retire to, knows the answer is "as far away as possible". I know it is the dream of many to retire to a place that is warm and sunny and I wish them well. I enjoyed my time here, but I'm ready to try something new for the last third of my life. When our business obligations are filled, we'll be heading to Oregon. We're downsizing drastically and it's a very freeing feeling. Taxes are not really an issue for us. We will have deductions. Plus, I think some of the places with the lowest taxes also have the fewest government services and at this point in my life, I think I may need more of them. So, I don't mind paying my share.

And, we're going from number 33 on the list to number 51! Woo-hoo! Except these lists are absolutely meaningless.
Thanks, and the best of luck to you as well. I always enjoy your posts. Maybe we can wave as we pass by each other on the way to our respective relocations.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well I'm not much on football but I will be really happy to be once more in a MLB city. Go Indians! And I can still support the Cubs since as well since I don't think there will be too much of a chance of their meeting up any time soon.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Well I'm not much on football but I will be really happy to be once more in a MLB city. Go Indians! And I can still support the Cubs since as well since I don't think there will be too much of a chance of their meeting up any time soon.

Actually, they play periodically due to interleague play. Fortunately, you don't have to wait until the post season.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually, they play periodically due to interleague play. Fortunately, you don't have to wait until the post season.
Oh, oh, that could cause a problem. As a lifelong fan of the Cubbies, I would feel I should show my loyalty but as a newly minted Indians fan, I would have to cheer for them as well. Such a dilemma! This is a small perk of relocation for me.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Oh, oh, that could cause a problem. As a lifelong fan of the Cubbies, I would feel I should show my loyalty but as a newly minted Indians fan, I would have to cheer for them as well. Such a dilemma! This is a small perk of relocation for me.
At least you have ONE advantage - tickets at Jacob's Field are readily available these days.

When I lived in Cleveland in 1995-2000, tickets were pretty/very scarce as nearly all games were sold out. There were times, we drove to Three Rivers to get goo dtickets to a baseball game.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:56 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Even I know who Johnny Manziel is (without even looking it up ) - because I live in the JAX metro area. I wish the Jaguars had drafted him instead of Bortles. I don't know which player is or will become the better QB - but we could have used the excitement. Robyn

Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
...Now as to staying in place or not downsizing is an excellent option. It is one that is on our table.

For those who do not know I am 2 years into a 6 to 7 year plan to figure out where I will be when I formally retire...

I want to golf a lot and she will accompany me a lot of times...Our list is short and we will visit and even stay but when we decide it will be a compromise between the two of us.
Since you golf - if you want a long golf season - that narrows it down a whole lot. Basically to the SE or perhaps parts of the west (like Arizona). Perhaps there are parts of California and Hawaii that might be a good fit - but most of the places I know in California are "high priced spread" and I don't know Hawaii at all (just went there once).

Do you like hot and humid in the summer - or even hotter but dry in the summer (like a hair dryer)? That narrows it down even more.* I'm in the hot and humid camp - so it's the SE for me. What's your minimum low temp for golf? My late FIL's was in the 40's - so he lived in NC (my late MIL wouldn't play when it was in the 40's outside). Our minimum low temp for playing is high 50's - and preferably warmer. Which is why we're still in Florida. Note that you'll still get hot and humid in almost all parts of the SE in the summer (except if you're at altitude - which = colder/much colder weather in the winter).

Once you get to Florida - ice storms are an "almost never" (last one where I live was in 1989 - it was so unusual that everyone remembers it!). They are not at all uncommon in certain parts of the SE. I don't like ice storms (I'd rather have snow).

A military "culture" - or at least a respect for the military - may or may not be important to you. If it matters - you'll find my part of the world - north Florida - agreeable. At a minimum - you'll find a lot of retired military on various local golf courses (some offer military discounts IIRC).

What are the differences between you and your wife? If you hum a few bars - I can perhaps make some suggestions - at least in my neck of the woods. I'm pretty familiar with a fair amount of the SE - and - especially - the area where I live. In all honesty - you could do a heck of a lot worse than NE Florida given the general parameters you've mentioned. Robyn

*One way to look at things if you're a golfer. You'll get summer discounts at courses where I live. But - in places like Phoenix - you get discounts for starting your summer round after about 8-9 am. Won't lie to you. It's hot here in the summer. But Arizona is the only place where I ever wound up with heat sickness trying to do outside stuff in the summer.

Last edited by Robyn55; 05-21-2014 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement