U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:27 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewoman59 View Post
What about Raliegh Durham North Caroline. does anybody know if that is a nice place to retire?
I live in SO California. and my husband is a Disable Vet. we need to live close to a VA hospital.
how the weather. Don't want to live where there a lot of humid summers. really think the South is Beautiful. I was born In Georgia. Just want to fine a nice place to retire. tired of the ratrace in California. and need a change. thank you :]
Everywhere in the southeastern U.S. has hot, humid summers! Higher elevations in northern Georgia, NC, TN should be more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 05:23 AM

29,774 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
What about Raliegh Durham North Caroline. does anybody know if that is a nice place to retire?
I live in SO California. and my husband is a Disable Vet. we need to live close to a VA hospital.
how the weather. Don't want to live where there a lot of humid summers. really think the South is Beautiful. I was born In Georgia. Just want to fine a nice place to retire. tired of the ratrace in California. and need a change. thank you :]
The Raleigh/Durham Triangle is a wonderful place to live and retire. However summers are hot and humid.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
We retired to the Raleigh/Durham area. Love it. Summers are hot and humid. But not unbearable. I walk to our community pool nearly every morning. Just stay inside under A/C in the afternoon.

But spring and fall -- oh my. We've had our doors open for a couple months now.

The VA hospital in Durham does not seem scandal ridden like some. At least nothing that has hit the papers. Durham has terrific restaurants.

Area is growing and traffic can be daunting. Probably not by southern California standards, but still. Homes are much more affordable.

RDU is a great airport. Well laid out and flights all over creation.

Amtrak runs through town with several stations in the area.

3 hours to the beach. 4 to the mountains.

Eastern Tennessee is nice as well. Not sure of the VA facilities. May want to start with a list of VA facilities to see which are in areas that sound appealing.

List of Veterans Affairs medical facilities by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
NORTH CAROLINA

Sales Taxes

State Sales Tax:4.750% Prescription drugs, medical equipment exempt, food subject to 2% county tax. Counties may add an additional 2% to 3% tax.
Gasoline Tax: 56.2 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: 62.2 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: 45 cents/pack of 20
Personal Income Taxes

Tax Rate Range: Low – 6.0%; High – 7.75%
Income Brackets: * Lowest – $12,750; Highest – $60,000
Number of Brackets: 3 The tax brackets reported are for single individuals. for married taxpayers the same rates apply to income brackets ranging from $21,250 to $100,000. Lower exemption amounts allowed for high-income taxpayers. For tax year 2012 the starting point for calculating a taxpayers taxable income is the taxpayer’s federal adjusted gross income (AGI). The previous starting point was the taxpayer’s federal; taxable income.
Personal Exemptions: ** Single – $1,200; Married – $2,500; Dependents – $0 Click here for more information.
Standard Deduction: Single – $3,000; Married filing jointly – $6,000. If you or your spouse are 65 or older you may claim an additional deduction (See state tax instruction booklet)
Medical/Dental Deduction: Federal amount. Income tax credit for premiums paid on long-term care insurance that covers the individual, a spouse or dependent. Credit is equal to 15% of premium cost but may not exceed $350.
Federal Income Tax Deduction: None
Retirement Income Taxes: Social Security is exempt. At least $4,000 in exclusions for federal, state and local pensions (depending on dates and length of service); up to $2,000 exemption for qualified private pensions, including IRAs. Out-of-state government pensions also qualify for the $4,000 exemption. State retirees with at least 5 years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989, will be permanently exempt from state income tax on their retired/retainer pay. Be sure to investigate the Bailey decision. Taxable income also includes income derived from gaming in North Carolina. For more details on retirement income deductions, click here and on the tax form page 13 – click here.
Retired Military Pay: If an individual had five years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989, all military retired pay is exempt from taxes. Otherwise, a deduction of up to $4,000 is allowed for military pay or survivor’s benefits.
Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before Sept. 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.
VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.
Military SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.
Property Taxes

All property, real and personal, is subject to taxation and is assessed based on 100% of appraised value. Taxes are collected by cities and counties. Click here for tax rates.
There is an elderly or disabled exclusion which excludes the greater of the first $25,000 or 50% of the appraised value of the permanent residence of the qualifying owner. A qualifying owner must be at least 65 years old or be totally and permanently disabled. The owner cannot have an income amount from the previous year that exceeds the income eligibility limit for the urgent year which is $27,100 for 2012.
The state also has a circuit breaker property tax deferment program. Under this program, taxes for each year are limited to a percentage of the qualifying owner’s income. The qualifying owner must either be at least 65 years of age or be totally and permanently disabled. For an owner whose income amount for the previous years does not exceed the income eligibility limit for the current year, which for tax year 2012 is $27,100, the owner’s taxes will be limited to 4% of the owner’s income. For an owner whose income exceeds the income eligibility limit, which for tax year 2010 is $40,650, the owner’s taxes will be limited to 5% of the owner’s income.
Inheritance and Estate Taxes

On June 27, 2011, a bill was signed into law by North Carolina governor Beverly Perdue. This law clarifies that the North Carolina estate tax does not apply to the estates of decedents who died in 2010 but will apply to the estates of decedents dying on or after January 1, 2011 with a $5,000,000 exemption, which is indexed for inflation in 2012 so that the 2012 exemption is $5,120,000.
For further information, visit the North Carolina Department of Revenue site.
* The tax brackets reported are for single individuals. For married taxpayers, the same rates apply to income brackets ranging from $21,250 to $200,000. An additional middle income tax credit is allowed.
** Taxpayers who claim standard deduction or itemize deductions on federal return must make adjustments.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:24 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
There isn't anywhere in the SE that isn't hot and humid in the summer - or even the late spring. Unless you're somewhat at altitude (like the mountains in NC - which - of course - are colder/a lot colder in the winter). Robyn

Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We retired to the Raleigh/Durham area. Love it. Summers are hot and humid. But not unbearable. I walk to our community pool nearly every morning. Just stay inside under A/C in the afternoon.

But spring and fall -- oh my. We've had our doors open for a couple months now.

The VA hospital in Durham does not seem scandal ridden like some. At least nothing that has hit the papers. Durham has terrific restaurants.

Area is growing and traffic can be daunting. Probably not by southern California standards, but still. Homes are much more affordable.

RDU is a great airport. Well laid out and flights all over creation.

Amtrak runs through town with several stations in the area.

3 hours to the beach. 4 to the mountains.

Eastern Tennessee is nice as well. Not sure of the VA facilities. May want to start with a list of VA facilities to see which are in areas that sound appealing.

List of Veterans Affairs medical facilities by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't know your temperature tolerances - but - when places are 80+ (like they were in your area today - mine too) - it's A/C time IMO. I'm not comfortable with an inside temp over 76.

Also - being 3 or 4 hours away from anything is not much of a recommendation unless someone isn't very interested in the things that are 3 or 4 hours away (you're talking - at best - about long weekend trips - not an afternoon at the beach). I think an hour max away (and I'd prefer 30 minutes) from things you want/need on regular basis makes a lot more sense. Robyn

Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Very useful. It shows how much NYS is effected by NYC in state rankings, usually driving it up to 1st or 2nd. Upstate metro areas are at or below the US average, however, and comparable to FL metros. Are local taxes included? Or just goods and services?
I think it is just goods and services, but even with taxes(which can vary by household in NYS- for instance, Vets generally get a property tax exemption and there's STAR), Upstate NY areas are essentially around the national average, give or take. I live in the Syracuse area, by the way and have been on here for years trying to explain that Upstate NY's overall COL is on par with some Southern state metros. I even had to make up the term "the Interior Northeast", just to differentiate the difference within the Northeast.

Like the saying goes, "It's the coasts and everything else".

Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I took most of the quote out to make it shorter.

Thanks Robyn I have FL on my list (short list). It isn't very high and I will explain. It is hot and humid and for a longer period of time. That is not a bad thing but we would like a slightly shorter HH climate. The more important goes to the differences between DW and me. She wants to have mountains in view. It is a Fung Sui (pronounce schway) thing. I am not sure it is spelled correctly but it the art of arranging your life. Setting your house to face a certain direction depending on your personal sign (the Chinese zodiac among others). My wife is Korean/American. She was born there and brought much of that with her. I encouraged her to keep her language and culture so this is part of that. Well in Fung Sui keeping three peaks be it mountain or large trees to the north will keep out a cold atmosphere. Trees work very good as they will block the coldest winds in fact so there is some practical application in there. But it kind of goes further back. Mountains are a large part of the Korean peninsular. So it goes back to that root for her.

I know she doesn't expect to live in the mountains but she does want to at least be able to see them with not much of a trip. Sort of a few miles away. So keeping that in mind I like the ocean being that I love swimming but I can take a large lake in lieu of that. So we can compromise there. So currently areas under consideration are Northern SC, Northern GA, Southern NC in the Charleston/Greenville area. We are also looking at Raleigh Durham area. Currently on the study list is the triangle area in TN between Nashville Knoxville Chattanooga. I know those areas are prone to some ice storms and even some snow.

I can give up some time for inclement weather and my coldest golf would be mid to upper 40's depending on a few other conditions. We are going to FL in the spring next year and I anticipate looking at real-estate there as well as other things. We are going to the Orlando area with some kids.

Out west is probably not on the card but SA TX was on my list due to military support. Arizona is a possibility but remote. We will probably visit every state during retirement as well as a great number of countries. We love to travel and we will do a lot of that early on so we are really just looking for a warm stable area that we can return to as a home base. Florida has an excellent tax structure for us as retirees and Northern FL and the panhandle area is one that might be an option. She has not travelled much of the country yet. I have. I have stayed in most zones of the country over time to cover all climates that region had except for the SW (TX, AZ, NM and CA). Other then that I have been there.

Still seeing as I know my lovely DW, I can point to the area in my second paragraph as a probable. We have family and friends still up here in the NE so that is also a huge factor in our decision. We might not move at all. I can always snowbird so that option is on the table too. So many things we have to consider and thankfully we have the time and resources and determination to do the homework, put together a list (you have that), and make an informed and thought out decision.

Thanks again Robyn
I'm just throwing it out there, but besides the snowy winters, you may like something like this planned community in the Syracuse suburbs: Radisson Community Association, Inc - Home Page

It has a golf course, a range of housing options, an HOA(for some areas) and plenty of shopping close by. This is another similar community in that same area(Baldwinsville): The Hammocks at Timber Banks | Apartments in Baldwinsville NY There are plenty of golf courses in the area too.

Syracuse has a VA Hospital and Syracuse University has programs for Veterans as well.

While there aren't peaks, the hills to the south of Syracuse gives the skyline a nice view. Plenty of lakes and parks as well. The Adirondacks are about an hour and a half away.

There is a Korean church on the city's East Side, as well as some Korean restaurants and Asian markets that may sell Korean products. Having the University brings people from all over the world. So, you can find a variety of cultures in the area.

Fort Drum is only an hour and 15 minutes away as well.

You may also like the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario and the 1000 Islands as well for getaways all within an hour and a half or so.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm just throwing it out there, but besides the snowy winters, you may like something like this planned community in the Syracuse suburbs: Radisson Community Association, Inc - Home Page

It has a golf course, a range of housing options, an HOA(for some areas) and plenty of shopping close by. This is another similar community in that same area(Baldwinsville): The Hammocks at Timber Banks | Apartments in Baldwinsville NY There are plenty of golf courses in the area too.

Syracuse has a VA Hospital and Syracuse University has programs for Veterans as well.

While there aren't peaks, the hills to the south of Syracuse gives the skyline a nice view. Plenty of lakes and parks as well. The Adirondacks are about an hour and a half away.

There is a Korean church on the city's East Side, as well as some Korean restaurants and Asian markets that may sell Korean products. Having the University brings people from all over the world. So, you can find a variety of cultures in the area.

Fort Drum is only an hour and 15 minutes away as well.

You may also like the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario and the 1000 Islands as well for getaways all within an hour and a half or so.

Thanks for the suggestion. As nice as the area is and how many of the things I am interested in. The one thing that will drop that off the list is the possibility of snow in May. Not in the rest of my life will I do that.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. As nice as the area is and how many of the things I am interested in. The one thing that will drop that off the list is the possibility of snow in May. Not in the rest of my life will I do that.
Extremely rare even in Syracuse. I honestly wouldn't think about snow in May around here. You may find this to be interesting as well: Military.com | Best Places for Military Retirement - #10 Syracuse, NY

CNYcentral.com - Latest local news, weather and sports for Syracuse and Central New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement