U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,523,899 times

Advertisements

This article entitled, "Most Popular Places to Retire for 2014" lists the 100 most popular retirement spots "compliled by calculating the 100 towns that receive the most online visits of the 900+ cities reviewed at this advertiser's website during the last 6 months of 2013."

Most Popular Places to Retire for 2014 Topretirements

Florida has the most cities/towns listed with 23 and Asheville, NC is ranked #1 in popularity.

I would prefer a listing that identified where the most retirees actually relocated, normalized based on the population. But with 100 cities and towns listed, it might be useful for those looking to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 04:51 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,927,825 times
One problem I can see with this list is - for example - St. Augustine FL is on the list. But I don't know whether the list is talking about the city proper - or the county - St. Johns County - of which the City of St. Augustine is a pretty small part population and square mile wise. I tend to doubt the former. But who knows? I - like most people here - live in unincorporated St. Johns County - not the City of St. Augustine - or any other incorporated area here. When it comes to Jacksonville FL (also on the list) - there may be a problem in this regard - but a much smaller one. Since almost all of Duval County is the City of Jacksonville (except for 4 small incorporated areas). Robyn

Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,856,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
New polls are in from BankRate dot com. The parameters they use to determine the 10 best and 10 worst states are very valid and oriented toward retirement.

10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

10 Worst States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

You can start in one poll and at the end it continues with a link to the other.
WOW. California didn't make either list.

And after 24 years now in Utah - we're really ready to leave. The State DABC (Dept. of Alcohol and Beverage Control) just decided that Oktoberfest up at Snowbird Ski Resort can't serve beer.

SERIOUSLY? The Stupid - It BURNS

I think I'll start a count-down calendar.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
62 degrees inside or out is ideal temp range in New England, even if it's humid. Cool humid air is nice, especially on the ocean.
In the 70's today and though it was sunny, I found it a bit chilly. Low 80's is my favorite.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM

82 posts, read 97,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Are you talking about The Villages? FWIW - I don't think of The Villages as being part of any metro area in Florida (it's kind of sui generis IMO).

Also - if people are thinking about trends in terms of medical care in metro areas - I think the large *public* research/teaching hospitals that treat poorer people on Medicaid and the like are very much in decline these days. Whereas the private ones - like Mayo - Cleveland Clinic - etc. - for people who can afford them - are becoming more dominant. Robyn
While looking to be within a location near teaching and research hospitals I was not specifically referring to public hospitals, which of course may be quite different from private ones. Mostly looking to be near those in the same category as the ones you mentioned - Mayo, Cleveland, etc.
Agreed, The Villages is not even remotely near an urban metro area, which is something for others to consider before moving there. For serious medical emergencies (believe it or not, like people being very badly injured in golf cart accidents), there is a (medivac?) helicopter arrangement with Orlando. I'd still prefer to be <20 minutes from a good research/teaching hospital than a brand new, hotel-like medical facility with limited services, IMHO.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM

6,074 posts, read 5,334,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
This article entitled, "Most Popular Places to Retire for 2014" lists the 100 most popular retirement spots "compliled by calculating the 100 towns that receive the most online visits of the 900+ cities reviewed at this advertiser's website during the last 6 months of 2013."

Most Popular Places to Retire for 2014 Topretirements

Florida has the most cities/towns listed with 23 and Asheville, NC is ranked #1 in popularity.

I would prefer a listing that identified where the most retirees actually relocated, normalized based on the population. But with 100 cities and towns listed, it might be useful for those looking to relocate.
Nice post and link. You hit on something when you said "it might be useful for those looking to relocate." Because the fact is, you do not need 100 places or 20 retirement destinations, you only need one. The right one for me is the right one for me, not for you, not for a poll of other retirees, not for anyone else. Desert or beach? Small town or metropolis? Close or far to the mountains? Hot or cold? Bar scene or live theater? Art festival or bikers convention? My paradise might be your hell and vice versa, but it really does not matter what anyone else thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement