U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,828 times

Advertisements

I've pretty much given up looking at any of these "Best Places to..." lists, because they're usually too one- (or at the most, two-) dimensional.

What I'd be interested to see would be a list for "Best Places to Retire" based on fast/nearby access to EXCELLENT medical care (hospitals, etc). I bet it would probably match the typical "most expensive places to.." lists, though, because most will be either in or near major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 AM

741 posts, read 641,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
These list always make me chuckle. I think there should be some range of sizes metro areas they compare (within some kind of range). To compare Danville Il and NYC is ridiculous IMHO. Why not Metamora IL or even smaller towns. Of course the cost is going to be less in a tiny town.
Yes. And the statistics presented, while probably the most recently calculated ... are about 1.5 years old by now. There can be wide or significant swings in COL in the communities and what we see today can be very different a year or two from now. It's an interesting read, but I certainly wouldn't make a decision relocation using the information as the determining factor.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I've pretty much given up looking at any of these "Best Places to..." lists, because they're usually too one- (or at the most, two-) dimensional.

What I'd be interested to see would be a list for "Best Places to Retire" based on fast/nearby access to EXCELLENT medical care (hospitals, etc). I bet it would probably match the typical "most expensive places to.." lists, though, because most will be either in or near major cities.
They put out that list. If that is your priority then just look for "top hospitals in the US".

Top 10 hospitals in the United States - CNN.com

Old 05-16-2014, 12:09 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
One thing I would wonder about is the amenities these places have to offer senior citizens. I can't see myself moving to many because they don't have what I need. My choice, to which I am moving in a few weeks is Cleveland Hts, Ohio. It has bus service, is located four miles from the Cleveland Clinic which is a big reason for my move, a neighborhood that is a couple of blocks from a grocery store and other shopping. There are also other advantages for seniors. All this and a reasonable COL.

This "Best Places" lists are never really accurate. Best places for whom?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:36 PM

730 posts, read 1,027,828 times
The list in the OP makes no separate mention of Long Island or any part thereof. Are we to assume it's part of the "New York/Newark/Jersey City" group? Nobody in their right mind would describe LI as anything other than "very high cost of living".

Any list that would group LI with NJ and PA is inherently flawed, LOL.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
We took the opposite approach by re-locating from Houston (52) to Philadelphia (20). Building careers in a less expensive Houston allowed us to sock away cash so we could pick where we wanted to live when the time came. While more expensive, our quality of living took a giant step by re-locating.

I've generally found you get what you pay for. Our move to Philly is no exception.
Well, SOMEONE gets what you pay for, might not necessarily be you.....

Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
We took the opposite approach by re-locating from Houston (52) to Philadelphia (20). Building careers in a less expensive Houston allowed us to sock away cash so we could pick where we wanted to live when the time came. While more expensive, our quality of living took a giant step by re-locating.

I've generally found you get what you pay for. Our move to Philly is no exception.
That interesting statement leads to a rather open-ended discussion, so I'll jump in. First, I have no doubt that in your particular case (leaving Houston to live in Philadelphia) the statement is true. It makes sense to me, plus of course I have no reason to doubt you. The higher cost of living in Philly is well worth it to you because the quality of life is better for you, probably on multiple levels.

But I question whether the bolded sentence is true generally when applied to the cost of living in different metro areas in the United States. My counter-example would be a comparison of New York City (#2 on the list) versus Los Angeles (tied for #10). Both cities have vibrant and world-class cultural offerings, New York City being ahead in the area of live theatre. New York City also gets the nod for people who wish to live car-free. But there is that huge (for some of us, anyway) factor of climate/weather, and I don't think that needs any explanation.

Of course the whole thing depends on what an individual wants most in a location, but for me the lower cost place (Los Angeles) is a FAR superior place to live, all things considered. I realize I am open to the charge of bias because I live here, but I couldn't resist responding to your interesting thesis that we "get what we pay for" in terms of cost of living. Again, I think it's true in some cases, but not necessarily as a generalization.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:44 PM

4,628 posts, read 4,470,900 times
How does one get rich? Find a need . . . then fill it. I see a need here.

Whoever writes a computer program that they can sell for about $25 to $35 that allows the user to specify which parameters are most important to them and then spits out a "best place to..." list will become wealthy.

They could issue updates every year, just like TurboTax does. Have a window pop up listing all the variables with a slider to drag from 1 to 10, or lest important to most important. Be sure to include filters, such as, "no city larger than 25,000 permanent population", or "within five miles of hospital".

There are a lot of baby-boomers out there who are tech literate and would purchase such a program. Anybody from here write such a program . . . I want a 'finder's fee"'.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,148,021 times
Quote:

Yep. This list only takes into account the Cost of living. I'm sorry, but I am not moving to some hell hole to save money.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM

1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
Quote:

I didn't move to my to my relatively small ( pop 30,435) university town on the cumberland plateau in tn for access to excellent medical care, but the hospital here appears to be more than adequate and we are a short flight to vanderbilt. Our facility is a "national award winning, state-of-the-art regional medical center that serves the entire 14 county Upper Cumberland region".

I live about 4 blocks away in an older residential neighborhood. Walgreen's and passable grocery (I don't shop there but I wouldn't starve) nearby. Lots of programs for lower income elderly. You have to hunt for them but they are there. Plenty of churches if you're so inclined. They don't bother you if you're not.

we have the university for diversity and "culture".

I didn't look at the list.

Last edited by newcomputer; 05-16-2014 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: added something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement