U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM

553 posts, read 794,904 times

Advertisements

President Eisenhower penned to his brother, Edgar Newton Eisenhower, on 8 November 1954:

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

Read more at snopes.com: President Eisenhower on Social Security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 01:27 PM

2,597 posts, read 5,292,786 times
Yes, I can remember when there were moderate Republicans.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Yes, I can remember when there were moderate Republicans.

and I remember when there were moderate Democrats.

More recently called " Blue Dogs"

They are nearly extinct also.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
I think he like many then realized that SS was headed to a crisis eventually has boomers where being born. Too many supported by too few eventually. Its was a great deal for government when first enacted as they controlled all excess funds other than was going outward. Few people realize the effect of boomers leaving the work force other than just taking their SS; its the excess money coming in that government is use to spending. Its means cuts other than SS or raising taxes to replace. the excess use to spending.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:31 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
I doubt many realized back then how many able bodied people would be drawing disability SS.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:05 PM

553 posts, read 794,904 times
Gee, I thought it was a Texas Oilman and dog painter, in the name of weapon of mass destruction (WMD), silly me.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:33 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,347,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think he like many then realized that SS was headed to a crisis eventually has boomers where being born. Too many supported by too few eventually.
Don't think Ike could have realized that. People then had larger families... there were many more babies being born than there were adults living at the time. The population inversion came when boomers had fewer children per family than all previous generations. Part of that was because the pill came along. Ike couldn't have known that would happen.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I doubt many realized back then how many able bodied people would be drawing disability SS.
Or that folks would live well beyond their retirement ages, and still be collecting SS and Medicare 20+ years beyond that retirement.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:12 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Or that folks would live well beyond their retirement ages, and still be collecting SS and Medicare 20+ years beyond that retirement.
Agree with your general thought, but just a detail: Medicare didn't exist during Ike's presidency - it was started under Lyndon Johnson in 1965.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or