U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 AM

197 posts, read 243,080 times

Advertisements

I went to Legacywriter.com (I think that's what it was) and for $20 was able to make a simple will for my dad. Had no problem with it when he passed...filed it, went through probate, etc.

Now, I understand one might want something else if the situation is more complicated. Ours was a simple matter.

I would do it again, will likely do that for my husband and I. This is a good reminder to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM

8,388 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I still don't have a will nor do I need one. Yet...
One does not "need" a will until one dies. Then having a will becomes necessary.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 PM

71,463 posts, read 71,652,652 times
well you can let the laws of your state take over if you are happy with that. but certain states can cost your heirs dearly if there is a lot to probate.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:23 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
One does not "need" a will until one dies. Then having a will becomes necessary.
Not in my case. If an estate needs to be opened, the court will appoint an executor and the executor will follow the steps found in the MD Estates & Trust statutes.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well you can let the laws of your state take over if you are happy with that. but certain states can cost your heirs dearly if there is a lot to probate.
Agreed.

Coincidentally, my father and I discussed his "need" to complete his will. He was scheduled to meet with his attorney today for the final draft of a "simple" will. However, he's unnecessarily stressing over nominating me to be his appointed Personal Representative (rather than my siblings) and it's driving me crazy. I finally told him if his only goal is to have his estate divided equally among his children, then he doesn't need the damn will. The State will appoint an executor (probably me) and the outcome will be the same. With or without a will, his estate will be probated.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 PM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
These guys have a good reputation.

Online Will - Create Your Will Online - Nolo

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:46 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,310,108 times
Friend died last year, 57 yrs. old. No will, owned property and considerable 401K. Property and personal possessions were awarded to mother by court as next of kin, 401K had beneficiaries stated.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:02 AM

4,356 posts, read 3,689,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Has anyone created a will online ? Is it legal and above board ? I don't have the money to have a will done by an attorney. Input appreciated..P.S. It would be a super simple will...
I would think they are ok as long as you had a good under standing of the laws and made it self proving. I would call the bar association and ask for a recommendation for an elder attorney. Then call for a price. It may not be very expensive for a straight forward will.
Check your beneficiaries on your bank accounts etc. You probably want to say TOD (transfer on death) and these will go outside of your will. Do not make anyone (spouse is ok) an owner with you now.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You don't need to do it online. Just write one out saying who gets what when you die. Sign it get it witnessed by two people and keep in a place where it can be found after you die.

Hand written wills are valid in most states. My wife is an estate planning attorney.

And like others have said, if your estate is of any size, get a trust set up to avoid probate. On a 300K estate $1500 spent today will save your estate $15,000 (more or less) in probate fees.
I think the witness signatures should be notarized or else you will need the witness to verify that they signed when your will is probated. This is called self proving.
Trust? Probably not for a lot of reasons. What state are you in? This might help with the answers. The need for trusts can change by state. If you do a trust then your assets have to be owned by the trust on the date of your death. Trusts might also have to file income tax returns but probably not if properly drawn.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Is this directed to me? I have had thoughts of taking myself out if old man Alzheimer's decides to visit, but that's not the point.

If I die without a will, my property will be distributed according to Maryland law. Maryland law mandates that my property be distributed equally among my children. It's all good.
Might want to title your assets with a beneficiary to make life a little easier for you children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or