U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 PM

71 posts, read 108,871 times

Advertisements

I'm still in the process of trying to undo the damage I did from eating what I wanted for so many years.
Granted, a lot of that eating was enabled by my dearly departed mother, and the rest due to programming by the 'food' marketing parasites.
Everyone should eat what they want, but just be aware that 'If you're gonna play, you're gonna pay', in some way or other.
Just don't complain about it, since you made the choice.
Now I say this with the knowledge that many of the diet recommendations of doctors have been proven to be completely erroneous, so there are many people that believe they are eating healthily based on these recommendations, but in actuality are making themselves increasingly diseased.
If an individual wants to achieve optimal health, then the first rule is to listen to your body, since it will give you clear messages when it isn't being supported by what you put in the pie-hole.
The regular need for anesthetics/painkillers and other palliatives is a sign that you need to, more than likely, alter your choices for ingestion.
Food is your best medicine, if it supports bodily health.
An important consideration is that the USDA food pyramid was originally proposed upside down compared to how it was presented to the public.
In other words, grains, instead of being the base of the pyramid, were shown at the top as being something to eat only occasionally, due to their adverse effect on health.
The original pyramid was quickly altered when the grain cartel lobbied to get grains as a foundational food group.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the dietary myths that we have been subjected to at the expense of our health.
So, for those who are trying to stay healthy, it's clearly a minefield of BS that one has to sift through to find out what's actually beneficial to the body.
As a general rule, follow the money to find out where the BS is the greatest.
And for those that want to eat what they want, go for it, just don't complain about the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:18 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,739,778 times
the vast majority of people having health problems is not from what they ate but the amount that they ate in relation to the excercize they were getting.

Simple !

Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
Default There is more to this than just weight per se.

I agree that maintaining a reasonable weight is very important for health, but there is something much more serious than just weight per se, and that is diabetes. While it is true that diabetes is associated with being overweight, one does not have to be overweight to have it.

In the case of diabetics, the long term penalties for just eating what we want are severe indeed: blindness, kidney problems, amputation of feet and/or legs. All that is a hell of a price to pay for some self-indulgence.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,739,778 times
It was amazing the amount of actual fat that many of my ancestors ate.
Ancestors that lived into their 90's.

However they worked hard on farms years back where there was much physical labor.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times
In my younger years I was grateful just to have something to eat.

Today when I can have whatever I want my heart, liver, kidneys and teeth holler no.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-18-2014, 11:25 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,589,606 times
My grandfather is 91 and is more cautious about what he eats now then he was when he was in his 60s. He wants to keep trim and also to be as active as he can. He is extreme where he weighs his food and himself too. He loves to travel and be social. The last couple years he has slowed down and it really bothers him so he really focuses on being as healthy as he can hoping it will help him to be able to be strong and still enjoy life.
Being younger I always viewed it like some where when you get to a certain age why worry but when you actually are at that age you probably want to feel as good as you can and so just like when younger you are concerned about the choices you make.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A thread about doughnuts inspired this question. I haven't had a doughnut in years, and am still, at age 66, trying to eat healthy and lose extra pounds.
My family joke is, I'm serving Cinnabons and cigarettes at my funeral.
Part of me is saying, give up and eat what you want, but I haven't given in to it yet.
You?
Eating "whatever you want" has good points and bad. I have been eating everything I want for several years now. I do think it has caused my feet to swell, but I can no longer see them.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:27 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,306,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A thread about doughnuts inspired this question. I haven't had a doughnut in years, and am still, at age 66, trying to eat healthy and lose extra pounds.
My family joke is, I'm serving Cinnabons and cigarettes at my funeral.
Part of me is saying, give up and eat what you want, but I haven't given in to it yet.
You?
About the time I started eating real food is when I started eating what I wanted to. My Mother fed us well and as healthy as she could and we currently follow that trend but still have what we want, when we want in moderation as far as foods deemed not healthy.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:42 PM

39,578 posts, read 47,812,904 times
I've always eaten whatever I want and haven't gained any weight. The only change is I've lost the desire for some foods that used to love to eat.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 AM

19,844 posts, read 19,937,680 times
I always did and still do eat pretty much what I want.
If I avoid or am moderate with something it's because of the noticeable, more immediate negative effects, not for health reasons.
For instance, the belly bulge has to be watched because I simply can't tolerate the feeling when bending over, of having it in the way.
No, or very restricted gluten, does that fairly well.
Plus, I'm too cheap to want to have to buy new bigger clothes
Extra calories from alcohol went to the 'no-no' zone when I decided I'd rather be awake when Jeopardy came on .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement