U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:01 AM

8,102 posts, read 7,072,801 times

Advertisements

When people turn 80 the birthdays, and holidays will have no meaning and these people can gorge themselves with the food which they long to have , but to no advantage as the muscles are getting weaker and the doctors can take their cars away and lock them in homes which do not help them get going .....Best to eat right and keep busy with exercises all your days and live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 AM

670 posts, read 817,707 times
Default Eating Whatever You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
When people turn 80 the birthdays, and holidays will have no meaning and these people can gorge themselves with the food which they long to have , but to no advantage as the muscles are getting weaker and the doctors can take their cars away and lock them in homes which do not help them get going .....Best to eat right and keep busy with exercises all your days and live
You're obviously very young...and very incorrect.

My grandfather was 89 and still chopping his own wood for heat. He still had a hobby farm and raised his own veggies and had chickens. I remember him saying that he was afraid of slowing down, as he didn't want to grow old.

He even commented on the older men who would sit in the park feeding the birds and squirrels. He called them "old timers."

He died at 98 of a stroke and was still very physically active right up until the end.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 AM

563 posts, read 428,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Never for me too. I'd gain weight too, but before that, my GI tract would make me pay, and pay, and pay for the insult if I ate all that food!
As someone with spina bifida, my GI would freak out if I did that as well. German pancakes, white toast, bacon, and hash browns for breakfast (or a Bavarian donut if on the run). Veggie burgers and xl fries for lunch. sushi, kettle chips and cake for dinner. Sierra Mist to drink at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Various cocktails involving rum, creme de menthe, curacao, or creme de cacao.

Candy of various, various kinds, in bulk, to munch on (gumdrops, honeycomb, jellybeans, butter creams).

This is the stuff I really like. But my GI would go to hell, and so would my blood pressure. I don't care really that I'm fat, but I don't like the physical discomfort that goes with it at times.

I like the thread, though!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:58 AM

9,756 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I eat what I want, but keep in mind to maintain eating in moderate quantities.

I have no weight problem at all, weigh in at 172 lbs at a slight bit over 6'1". Exercise has really allowed me to be pretty unconcerned about weight gain.

I was a bit of a "fat kid" growing up, peaking at almost 230 lbs at age 18. I went on a serious diet to get ready for being drafted into the army, and lost 70 lbs. Since then I've weighed between 165 and 190, but never really had a weight problem again. And it has been 44 years since I went on my diet.

As time went by, I found I could eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I keep in mind portion control.

I really think that's the key to maintaining one's weight.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,323 times
Never for me too. Allergies and IBS have killed that dream, LOL

Sure I could pig out on chocolate but then I'd pay for it with a week of itching and two days of migraine.
Sure I could enjoy that ice cream or the pasta sauce, but then I'd be following the BRAT diet for the next three days.
Etc etc etc. It's just not worth it.

I do miss the days when I could eat anything I wanted (other my original five allergy foods) with no aftereffects and no weight gain either. But those days aren't coming back ever, LOL

Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
There was a time when I could (and did) eat whatever I wanted ... until about late-forties. Had I not 'wanted' more lean than fat, I probably would have been as big as a tugboat. (I grew-up in an 'always eat everything on your plate/table' house). By about 50, my metabolism changed to where I could still eat whatever I wanted, ... but, my body refused to process it as efficiently as when I was younger.

Nevertheless, I've always been tall enough to spread the weight upwards 6'2/3-- until my late fifties, when I ran out of places to spread the weight vertically. Now, I have no place to go, but, "out" ... which I seem to be doing, regardless of what or how much I eat. Although I still pretty much eat what I want, I'm finding that my tummy and head/taste buds have arguments over what and how much I eat, with my tummy often getting in the last word.

If I could still comfortably eat whatever and whenever I wanted (like on cruises or a pot lucks), I probably would, ... except like everything else, I no longer 'want' the same things I wanted when I could eat 'with immunity from consequences.'

Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 AM

5,170 posts, read 8,694,591 times
Smile World's worst eater here....

I'm not the worst but I tended to like all the bad stuff - not fast food but ice cream, bread, baked potatoes, stuff like that.

Well, the weight crept up and I was not a fat person - my children are always on me and I know they are disappointed in how I look. I've had a lot of stress the last few years and even though I had faith, cookies and cream hollered at me every night (sometimes a second time too).

I'm not short and I have long legs so I hide the weight well. Most people think I'm 145.

In February of this year, I had the flu, cold and sore throat. I had it for most of the month and after that, I swore I needed to get healthier.

In March, I cut back on the bagels, potates and ice cream. We didn't cut out the ice cream but went to 2 or 3 times a week. Six weeks later - the result - 1 pound - and I still felt weird. Kind of dizzy in a fog which I attributed to February's illness.

Well, I read a blog about cutting out sugar and decided to try it for 30 days - I write down how I FEEL not what I ate and I'm surprised at the results. Ten pounds but I FEEL so much better, no more acid reflux (started in February), no more shortness of breath, etc. I also feel more focused on LIFE.

Even Saturday night, I ate a small teeny piece of a butter peanut cup in my husband's ice cream. Huge effect even for that small amount. I'm shocked it's had this effect but just trying to concentrate on feeling better and enjoying life. I wrote how I felt down so the next time I get tempted, out come my notes and that cures my desire.

This is a huge lifestyle change for me and I plan to get to my goal weight slowly and then eat very moderately. I will say that my cravings are going away which is something I always wanted and now how I see how just a little bit of sugar affects me, I feel awful I've been such a horrible eater and what I've done to the old body.

Also, I've seen the inches disappear.

But, this is just me and how it affected me which I'm shocked about.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,323 times
Here's a miserable "can't eat it anymore" for you: After I gave birth to my son, EVERYTHING in the allium family (garlic, onions, shallots, leeks, chives) became pure poison to me. Even the slightest tiny bit of it will produce... well, trust me it would be way TMI, lol.

No more Caesar salad. No rack of lamb. No shrimp scampi. No garlic bread. Essentially zero Italian food (other than plain pasta topped with just butter or olive oil). Try to find anything without a trace of either onion or garlic (in any form) in it, in a restaurant or any kind of prepared food. It's not fun. Even eating a plain broiled chicken breast that was cooked on the same grill where they cooked the standard "rubbed" version (with garlic or onion in the spice rub) will make me sick.

The upside is that I never spend money on restaurant eating anymore, LOL

Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,699,211 times
I eat whatever I want to now, at 46.

We are all going to die from something, whether that be cancer, heart attack, or getting run over by a bus. I am not going to waste the alive years of my life worrying about every damn thing I see or hear about.

With any luck, I will leave this world with a nice marbled piece of Prime Rib in my mouth, a tall Blue Moon in my hand, a great natural tan, and some 420 for dessert.

Life is too short. Live it while you are alive.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 AM

14,398 posts, read 7,923,957 times
I eat what ever I want. Meh, quality over quantity. I'm not morbidly obese but I could lose a few pounds. Especially after that love affair I had with pie and ice cream at work last night. It was soooo good.

Oh I forgot to mention that I did walk the dogs after work for an hour and a half last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement