U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 PM

293 posts, read 438,854 times

Advertisements

I expect that as I get older, my metabolism will slow, and that it will become harder and harder to remain mobile if I'm carrying excess weight as my muscle strength declines. So I think I'm going to have to be even more careful and more restricted as I age in order to stay mobile and self-sufficient. I don't want to be one of those 80 year olds who can't lift themselves up out of a chair, or who can't take a bath because they're not strong enough to get out of the bathtub. My mother has that problem, and she predicted that in a few more years I'd have it too, but I just said "no way." I'm doing Weight Watchers now, and swimming laps to keep my upper body strength, and I want to continue being active and mobile for as long as I can. Not become a lump of lard who has to rely on my middle aged daughter to take out the garbage and bring in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 04:58 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,880,366 times
When I am 80. Because if I live that long I will have outlived all of my relatives, living or dead. I will eat steak, ice cream, all the pizza I want, homemade cookies and pastries, malts, burgers, fries, and lefse (Norwegian). I probably should let the nursing home know so they will be ready to cook all of this.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM

11,285 posts, read 8,455,818 times
I do pretty much eat what I want but usually when I find out something is really bad for me I don't really want it. I use moderation, too. I'm bad about eating junk then not eating anything to counteract the calories.

Right now I'm doing vegan cuz I want to. I do feel better.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM

21,546 posts, read 44,085,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A thread about doughnuts inspired this question. I haven't had a doughnut in years, and am still, at age 66, trying to eat healthy and lose extra pounds.
Part of me is saying, give up and eat what you want, but I haven't given in to it yet.
You?
Nope.

Has nothing to do with weight and everything to do with how I feel.

I feel like crap when I eat crap - especially refined white flour and sugar - and, for me, that includes pastas and rice. Never could handle that stuff years ago, and certainly can't now. Never eat fast food.

Only indulgence is organic ice cream in small amounts and once in a blue moon (like twice a year) a very high-end piece of pastry in tiny bites. Otherwise, diet is very high protein, with salads and fresh vegetables and moderate amounts of raw fruit.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:15 PM

223 posts, read 275,274 times
I just gave up ice cream last week. Now, I eat frozen yogurt instead. It just wasn't worth feeling like crap every time I ate ice cream. I try to eat healthier now, but I don't think that I'll ever give up the foods that I consider to be treats. I exercise daily( strength training, jogging and interval training), but it is very difficult for me to lose weight, so I focus on being healthy instead. I spent too many years trying the diet fads of the moment. Low fat, low carb, etc... They only work briefly for me and I find myself obsessing and weighing every morsel.

I'm not diabetic. I have naturally low blood pressure, low bad cholesterol and high good cholesterol. I'm not much of a meat eater. Most of the meat that is served in our house is lean turkey or chicken. I've been trying to eat six servings of veggies and fruits daily and a portion of my exercise comes from caring for the garden. I also drink a lot of water before and after my workouts and essentially all day. It is rare for me to drink anything with calories and I sometimes have a pitcher of unsweetened herbal sun tea in the fridge.

I suppose that if a doctor told me that I needed to change my ways in order to combat a health issue, I'd probably take his/her advice. Until then, I eat to live!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,157,423 times
I don't need to lose weight and I eat whatever I want. Fortunately, I don't eat a lot. I never eat after 5 pm. For my last meal today I had nothing but ice cream and a bite-size piece of Snickers.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 AM

18,378 posts, read 23,565,807 times
food is such an important part of life, and one of lifes rewards, no matter how you look at it is great tasting food-whether its an apple, or a buffet of fried foods..

its all in moderation, lifes too short to deprive yourself of what you like to eat..
but,,,as one poster said, i would be eating oreos, big macs, blizzards everyday

if i had my druthers, id be eating rib eye steaks, lobsters, pork ribs, burgers, just about every day..
everything in moderation, - i do eat my steaks and ribs,,
i have a hell of a sweet tooth and have to keep that in check..

but i also think,,,if you exercise,,, and burn up calories, you can eat more liberally,

i do despise the food nazis telling us what we should and shouldnt eat -

Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,492,106 times
Just compare how long a person is dead to how long they are alive. Everything in moderation.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,026,116 times
I try very hard to maintain a healthy weight and nice figure, which limits what I can eat. I try to eat well, but have to admit that I really like foods that are not good for me, so I eat those in small quantities. Portion control is my way of eating what I like while maintaining my physique. I sometimes wish I could eat everything I like, but the reality is I'd be a fat blob if I did.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,357,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post
I'm still in the process of trying to undo the damage I did from eating what I wanted for so many years.
Granted, a lot of that eating was enabled by my dearly departed mother, and the rest due to programming by the 'food' marketing parasites.
Everyone should eat what they want, but just be aware that 'If you're gonna play, you're gonna pay', in some way or other.
Just don't complain about it, since you made the choice.
And for those that want to eat what they want, go for it, just don't complain about the results.
Great post, "George". Love your monicker by the way, I wonder how many people get the reference--not many I suspect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement