U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:09 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,153,497 times

Advertisements

Both my parents lived to age 97 and neither were ever overweight, so I came by it naturally, but mom was a fanatic about not being fat and for some reason she thought I would become that way. Apparently, because one of my father's sisters was overweight. Mother discouraged me eating bread. She didn't and always said people who eat bread will probably get fat.

The last 16 months of her life, she was in an assisted living center and it turns out she loved junk food, which had always been a secret. Since I was the one to go get it and bring it to her she had to admit her weakness. It was not easy for her to say bring me some more sugar wafers. I kept her well supplied. The crumbs were bringing in ants, so I was busy trying to keep them out. The director mentioned the ants and I assured her I was taking care of it and explained about mother and the sugar wafers, which were a high point each day for mother. The director said she wouldn't say another word about it. Mother always had her wits. I can only hope for the same.

More than anything mother didn't want me to wait on her. She wanted to wait on me. But, she was content to not be at home, since others took care of her where she was. I was there daily. Dad had died 3 years earlier and after her heart attack, she wasn't expected to survive for long, but did for 16 months. Had she lived 7 days longer, their live spans would have been identical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 PM

33,924 posts, read 42,185,115 times
I was 14.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,541,077 times
At what age will you start eating whatever you damn well please?

If I change "will" to "did" in the question above, the answer for me was when I went away to college. Up to that time I ate whatever my mother cooked. After that, I have eaten whatever I damn well pleased.

But my priorities have changed over the years ... quit drinking many years ago, eat way more veggies and fruits than I did when I was younger, less meat (especially red meat), more fish, and so on.

Most people reach a point where they at least consider some changes in their lives that may help increase the quality and length of their lives. For me, that happened as I was approaching my 50th birthday. I'm 62 now, and - knock on wood - I'm feeling pretty darn good.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,299,862 times
I just realized that from my birth until I was about 1 year old I ate what I wanted. At the time I only wanted milk.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,075,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Never - it's a very sad state of affairs but I'd gain 50 lbs a day if I ate what I wanted to: tons of icecream, oreo cookies, tostadas from Taco bell, onion rings fried with tons of ketchup, real coffee, strong, perohies, homemade pizza .....
+1.
If there's one thing I've learned by surviving healthfully to age 65+, it's this: Food is NOT what life's all about.
Food is not even in the running.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,421,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
The most frustrating thing is if you have "dueling diets" -- meaning you're supposed to eat one way because of one medical condition, and also follow an entirely opposite diet because of a different medical condition.

I have high cholesterol (and WILL NOT take statins) which by following a low-cholesterol/low animal product diet that high in veggies, fruits and whole grains I can reduce to a level only slightly higher than "optimal".

But I also get kidney stones, and the recommended diet for THAT is low-oxalate: high in animal products (thus high in cholesterol), low in whole grains (i.e., white rice is okay but brown rice is not) and many fruits and vegetables.

Throw my IBS and my food allergies on top of that, which eliminates many veggies and fruits that are "safer" on both other lists, and I'm left with, basically, a handful of veggies plus the kind of carbs that we're NOT supposed to eat!

So basically for me, the entire subject of food has become a case of "pick yer poison", LOL
I assume you have consulted a dietitian? There is new thinking about sat fat causing high cholesterol. More studies are showing that a diet high in carbs can cause conditions that cause heart attacks.

I can't take statins. I don't tolerate them. I take niacin and a fenofibrate, and those meds help a lot. They help my body produce the "good cholesterol".

I don't know why you would have to follow a diet low in whole grains as opposed to refined, but I would revisit those topics with a dietitian who is current with the newer research results about diet.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,849,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I just realized that from my birth until I was about 1 year old I ate what I wanted. At the time I only wanted milk.
I agree. Not only did I enjoy milk more then, but I certainly enjoyed the container it came in.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
<snip>
I don't know why you would have to follow a diet low in whole grains as opposed to refined, but I would revisit those topics with a dietitian who is current with the newer research results about diet.
LOL. I suspect that StressedoutNYer avoids whole grains for the same reason I did. BTDT. Nothing like excusing yourself at a restaurant to dash into the ladies room before the check is even paid.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Whole grains are high in oxalate; refining the grain strips off the bran which contains more oxalate than the rest of the grain. People whose body forms calcium-oxalate kidney stones (which are the most common type) are supposed to avoid foods that are high or very high in oxalate. Oxalate is only found in plant products, not in animals. Unfortunately, most of the healthiest foods are also the highest in oxalate; these include spinach, soy, nuts, wheat bran, whole wheat flour, berries, etc. Moderate-oxalate foods are only supposed to be eaten in small amounts (for instance, 1/2 cup of boiled carrots which are moderate-oxalate is considered as an acceptable serving). Unfortunately many of the low-oxalate fruits are citrus which I can't tolerate for other reasons.

People who have to follow a low-oxalate diet, for kidney stones or certain other conditions, are not supposed to consume more than 50g of oxalate PER DAY. That is impossible to do unless the person eats animal products. As my urologist said, "You can't follow a low-oxalate diet if you're a vegetarian."

For the morbidly curious, here's a list of foods grouped according to very high, high, moderate and low oxalate. http://www.ohf.org/docs/OxalateContent092003.pdf

Oh yes I've consulted a dietitian. After going through my various medical conditions and recommended diets she basically said there's no good answer, and I have to somehow find a balance of "bad" foods (as per my various health issues) that I'm personally comfortable with. Diets based on a medical condition often don't agree with diet recommendations for the general public who aren't dealing with (or are perhaps only dealing with one) specific health issues.

I'm grateful that I don't have celiac, because ALL of the alternatives to gluten (except for white rice) are high or very high in oxalate, LOL.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM

34,700 posts, read 33,718,482 times
18 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement