U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,070,096 times

Advertisements

well, food isn't what life is all about, BUT when you have health problems that alter your taste and limits what you can eat to just pretty bland food, which I have had to do with this metallic taste in my mouth, then you really appreciate all the different tastes and flavors that are out there to enjoy. When you go to parties or lunches with friends and can't eat most of what is offered, it's not fun. I really miss pizza. I've read that as we age, our sense of taste diminishes and that's why older folks like to eat foods with stronger flavors because it doesn't taste that strong to them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:28 PM

9,596 posts, read 10,949,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
well, food isn't what life is all about, BUT when you have health problems that alter your taste and limits what you can eat to just pretty bland food, which I have had to do with this metallic taste in my mouth, then you really appreciate all the different tastes and flavors that are out there to enjoy. When you go to parties or lunches with friends and can't eat most of what is offered, it's not fun. I really miss pizza. I've read that as we age, our sense of taste diminishes and that's why older folks like to eat foods with stronger flavors because it doesn't taste that strong to them.
This is why you should eat the foods you like now No one can predict the future.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
For those who say "14" or "18" I say "me too." It's only since I have aged that I can't eat anything I want. I mean literally. It's isn't because of diabetes or high cholesterol or anything of that nature, it's because as I age, my old digestive system cannot handle many things it used to and I get sick.

I think the premise of the question here is that once you reach a certain age it's "What the heck, I'll eat whatever I want because I'm at the end of the line anyway." But unfortunately, our bodies won't always allow us to have that option.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:39 PM

6,975 posts, read 12,504,449 times
I see on a regular basis what eating whatever one wants, and not taking care of yourself does to a person. My brother-in-law is almost 67. He has always been overweight, out of shape and somewhat annoyed by people that eat healthier. He is an Extremely sedentary type person. I have watched my sister's more active life, become as sedentary as his during the course of their 15 years married now. They get virtually no exercise, though thankfully she eats better than him. She has given up trying to get him to eat better. She said it became a waste of time with him, as he became irritated with her repeated requests to change his diet and lose weight.

Now he has developed Epilepsy and told me, he doesn't care about his weight and he can eat whatever he wants. He has hamburgers and bacon and egg sandwiches just about every day. Ice cream late at night, Dunkin Donuts which is just a few blocks away. I wanted to say. Well I hope you never develop Diabetes, because you seem to be someone that is not capable of any discipline. He is just under 300 lbs now, and I fear his life will be shortened because of his inability to care. I've had to give him a ride to Doctor's appt's a few times. Now I'm not comfortable with his 300 lbs trying to get in the small front seat. I haven't said anything about it though. Past experience with him, is he gets mad rather quickly on the subject of his weight and eating habits. So people stay away for the topic. Which is also wrong. It is very sad to see a person behave like this, though he says he is not depressed. I think he is very depressed, but he has always been very overweight. So eating whatever you want can really get out of hand, especially as a person gets older.

My advice is if you are someone that feels you can eat anything anytime, then that is your business. However I hope people know how quickly it can get out of hand. Good Health is nothing to take lightly, you can lose it in a very short amount of time.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:39 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,393,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I see on a regular basis what eating whatever one wants, and not taking care of yourself does to a person. My brother-in-law is almost 67. He has always been overweight, out of shape and somewhat annoyed by people that eat healthier. He is an Extremely sedentary type person. I have watched my sister's more active life, become as sedentary as his during the course of their 15 years married now. They get virtually no exercise, though thankfully she eats better than him. She has given up trying to get him to eat better. She said it became a waste of time with him, as he became irritated with her repeated requests to change his diet and lose weight.

Now he has developed Epilepsy and told me, he doesn't care about his weight and he can eat whatever he wants. He has hamburgers and bacon and egg sandwiches just about every day. Ice cream late at night, Dunkin Donuts which is just a few blocks away. I wanted to say. Well I hope you never develop Diabetes, because you seem to be someone that is not capable of any discipline. He is just under 300 lbs now, and I fear his life will be shortened because of his inability to care. I've had to give him a ride to Doctor's appt's a few times. Now I'm not comfortable with his 300 lbs trying to get in the small front seat. I haven't said anything about it though. Past experience with him, is he gets mad rather quickly on the subject of his weight and eating habits. So people stay away for the topic. Which is also wrong. It is very sad to see a person behave like this, though he says he is not depressed. I think he is very depressed, but he has always been very overweight. So eating whatever you want can really get out of hand, especially as a person gets older.

My advice is if you are someone that feels you can eat anything anytime, then that is your business. However I hope people know how quickly it can get out of hand. Good Health is nothing to take lightly, you can lose it in a very short amount of time.
Since there is no connection between obesity and epilepsy, I don't see how his weight and lifestyle have hurt him. He is 67 years old and seems to be content with his life. People who are physically active and enjoy that lifestyle seem to be unable or unwilling to accept the fact that there are people who do not. I am not a physical person and never have been. My idea of a GREAT day is staying in bed most of it. Yes, I eat whatever I want and yes I am overweight (although I am nowhere near 300 lbs). If your borther-in-law is content with his lifestyle, you shouldn't judge him and imply that he is depressed and unhealthy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
There are lots of myths about how to live long. Some of them revolve around diet. This was an interesting piece on "60 Minutes." Gaining a bit of weight is better than being thin. Vitamins on the whole don't do much good. Coffee and booze in moderation is good for you. Some of these people ate sweets some didn't. Most didn't seem overly concerned with diet. All exercised as best they could and had a good social network.

60 Minutes Reveals the Secrets to Living Past 90, and They May Surprise You | Senior Lifestyle

I think the food industry along with the vitamin industry has done a pretty good job of telling us that we will live longer if we will eat this or that or take this or that supplement. I think we can learn from these 90 year olds. They remind me of my mom who lived to be 94, she loved her sweets but took them in moderation just because that was the sensible thing to do. She ate vegetables sparsely but little junk food. Her diet was basic Eastern European stuff; meat, grains and potatoes. She was never overweight.

Genes have a lot to do with health. Eating has a lot to do with health. Lifestyle has a lot to do with health. They all go into longevity. I wouldn't nag anyone about their eating habits, the information is out there, we all make choices. Who can really be certain what works and what doesn't? Today the experts will tell us this is a bad food and tomorrow they will tell us it isn't. Remember when eggs were evil? Now they're just fine.

I'll take my chances as long as it doesn't give me a tummy ache or obviously put on the pounds.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Genes have a lot to do with health. Eating has a lot to do with health. Lifestyle has a lot to do with health. ....
I chose to quote just a small portion of your sensible and well-reasoned post. I did that because I wanted to add: "Being socially connected has a lot to do with health." (Perhaps you were meaning that social connectivity is part of lifestyle. If so, my addition is unnecessary - I just thought it was important enough to deserve its own mention.)

Old 05-22-2014, 06:15 PM

6,975 posts, read 12,504,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Since there is no connection between obesity and epilepsy, I don't see how his weight and lifestyle have hurt him. He is 67 years old and seems to be content with his life. People who are physically active and enjoy that lifestyle seem to be unable or unwilling to accept the fact that there are people who do not. I am not a physical person and never have been. My idea of a GREAT day is staying in bed most of it. Yes, I eat whatever I want and yes I am overweight (although I am nowhere near 300 lbs). If your borther-in-law is content with his lifestyle, you shouldn't judge him and imply that he is depressed and unhealthy.

20yrsinBranson

His weight has hurt his heart, and he is paying the price for it. He has been advised over and over by his Cardiologist that he has to lose all this weight. Content and just not caring are two very different feelings. The Epilepsy is a new problem and it seems completely controlled with Meds. No one is judging him to be mean to him, but it is very difficult to see it happen. If this is called being content with one's life. I don't think so in his case. Otherwise he would make an attempt to lose the weight, at least to be around for my sister. The other because his health desperately depends on it. All of us take turns to drive him now because of Epilepsy. To his job, to his doctors. I help with that, but I refuse to drive him to Dunkin Donuts. I draw the line there. I have a small KIA, and he really cannot fit in the car properly. They are looking into buying a roomy SUV, because their Camry isn't comfortable for him anymore. My sister has tried to get him over and over to eat a healthy meal, but he immediately gets irritated. So I don't believe anyone is judging him for the sake of judging him. People are concerned. I believe we are bewildered because it is out of hand, and we see where this will all end. He probably will not have a long life, but it is his life. So perhaps your correct. If there is any contentment for him, then so be it. Still. One has to help themselves because no one can do it for you.

So again eat what you want and do what you want to do. That's not everyone's situation in life though.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Default Sorry, but I am not buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Well, he may claim to be content with his life, but I am not buying it. He has to struggle to get into and out of his brother-in-law's car, an act that normal people wouldn't give a second thought to. Do you think he is really (deep down) content about that?

When he is on an airplane he has to be aware that he is crowding the person sitting next to him (provided the airplane is full, which is pretty common). Do you think he is really (deep down) content about that? Or maybe he refuses to fly to avoid that embarrassment and discomfort? He may claim he doesn't like flying, but why do think that would be (if that's the claim)?

At 300 pounds, he almost certainly struggles to go up a flight of stairs, another act that a normal person wouldn't give a second thought to. Do you think he is really (deep down) content about that?

Do you really believe (deep down) that he is very likely to be "healthy"? If so, I would suggest you are deluding yourself big time.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM

1,926 posts, read 994,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I see on a regular basis what eating whatever one wants, and not taking care of yourself does to a person. My brother-in-law is almost 67. He has always been overweight, out of shape and somewhat annoyed by people that eat healthier. He is an Extremely sedentary type person. I have watched my sister's more active life, become as sedentary as his during the course of their 15 years married now.
He has always been overweight? He is 67? He and your sister have been married for (only) 15 years, which means that he was overweight when they married? His normal may not be everyone's normal.

I don't know why I don't weigh 300 pounds.... or 500. I like food and I am less active every day. Weight exacerbates every health issue that plagues me. Food is a wonderful, immediate antidote to every aggravation. I watch a program on TLC about people who weigh 1000 pounds and I get it. The only thing I don't understand is why I'm not in the queue.

My mother use to say that you only had to gain a pound a year and in 20 years, you would be 20 pounds overweight. If she was here today, I would tell her that she was spot on. The only upside is that I don't have wrinkles. Would I rather be thin and wrinkled? I don't know.

I don't weigh. I can tell without weighing myself when I need to slow down because I am truly uncomfortable with more than my usual 20 pounds. I can't imagine what it must be like to be morbidly obese because just being moderately obese is no fun at all. I would be really sad if I couldn't take care of my feet.... or see my feet.

I've always eaten what I wanted but eating is definitely a bigger part of my life now. Dealing with the consequences is no fun. I wish that there was a time in the future when I could plan on not giving a damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement