U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,299,862 times

Advertisements

The best way to live a long healthy life is to pick parents that have a long line of healthy ancestors that lived a long productive life.

Diet seems to be secondary.

I somehow managed to pick ancestors in which the males tended to be short lived. But to be fair most were killed in either accidents or war. I currently am the longest living male in my traceable family history I was the first male in my family history to have lived past the age of 65.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
I have some who lived long lifes and others who didn't; so I disagree. Bad habits can shorten life IMO; regardless. Good genes can prevent likelihood of some diseases but diet and exposure can change everything. Plenty of bad life styles who parents out lived them that I have seen. Modern life makes living the exactly life style really difficult; just as many ancestors died from what we see as easily cured diseases. Look at a older cemetery with families. Look at now many died before age 5 just one or two generation ago. Medical care alone can make a difference as I have seen.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,210,083 times
I enjoy what I want but in moderation. I love all kinds of bad-for-you foods. But, I don't make a feast out of them on a regular basis. Moderation is the key. Life is too short for bad food.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 AM

1,327 posts, read 783,088 times
I eat clean 80% of the time. I eat whatever the hell I want the other 20% of the time! Works for me.

Woodrow, we got to pick our parent's before we are born? I have the BEST Dad in the whole wide world... I can't wait to tell him that I actually PICKED him to be my dad before I was even born!!!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 AM

5,177 posts, read 8,703,964 times
Smile Ugh, weight but....

Just concentrating on how I FEEL - I have an adorable dog which is 8 years old and she is 20 pounds - when I pick her up, I can feel she is 20 pounds!

Well, that is the stress I've put on my body. I have now lost 12 and really want to lose another 6 by the end of the month. Then, I'll be 18 pounds down and my goal of another 14 by 07/24/2014 is within reach!

I am writing down how I FEEL rather than what I eat and it makes all the difference. My cravings are gone, they really are and I'm getting more done, being more productive and just feeling like enjoying life a bit.

But, then, I also pick up my dog (20 pounds) and I realize I have put this strain on my heart which isn't good.

I'm on no medications and I don't plan to be. That's my goal - getting healthy and staying there. Food is now becoming secondary and this is a HUGE lifestyle change for me.

I sleep through the night, no waking up at all. This was huge for me a couple of months - I woke up a couple of times and a few of those I would be having problems breathing. Definitely a wake up call.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:14 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
good for you! I think weight loss is probably the #1 cure for alot of ills. I remember picking up a 10 lb bowling ball and WOW that is heavy and it's just ten lbs. I've found losing even a little weight and not eating alot during the evening really helps with the sleeping issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement