Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:13 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,297,022 times

Advertisements

My doctor put me on a low salt diet, but that is the only restriction. He actually said to "eat well" and he continued that me biggest challenge will be keep my weight and not lose any. At the time I didn't understand his comment, but I do now. He put me on medicine that kills my appetite. For months I had to force me to eat. The strange thing is that what tastes good to me is red meat, fish, turkey and chicken and potatoes, tomato's and vegetables. He said to stop eating fruit. I have no desire for anything sweet.

I eat better now then at any other time in my life.

So, since I eat what I what, I guess that I eat whatever I damn well want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,838,709 times
I eat what I want now. I don't pig out every meal, but if I want donuts or ice cream, I have them. Food's never been that big for me, so its not like I'm going to gorge myself. IMHO, once you've reached a certain age, eat and drink what you want. Ever been to a nursing home. Living a long life isn't all its cracked up to be.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,729,241 times
I'm not sure I'll ever just eat whatever I want. Perhaps on my deathbed, then, why not? Before that, it would impair my health and well-being in some way, so why do it?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,377,694 times
For the majority of my life, I never got to eat what I would like to. So basically I have gotten use to that lifestyle. Though it can be very difficult when I have to eat out. Now and then I might slip up with a sweet, but it is a rarity. I'm pretty disciplined on the subject. I live in Massachusetts the home base for Dunkin Donuts. For anyone that has been here, then they would know the chain has a ridiculous amount of stores here. I am exposed to the culture of Donuts and coffee every day here. Believe me it is a culture here. I admit I would like a donut now and then, but I have only been to DD a few times in my 64 years. So if I can watch what I eat so can others. It sickens me to see so many here not take care of themselves.. Eating their DD every damn day, getting heavier and heavier. Including much of my family.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Generally, I eat what I want. It's not a very good diet, but it makes me happy. I spent a lot of time trying to eat "right" and hating every minute of it. Life is too short to dread every meal. I'd rather enjoy life a little.

20yrsinbranson

Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
Sigh, I would if I could but I can't.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,974,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sigh, I would if I could but I can't.
Sadly for many of us that is true. When we finally reach the point where we can afford to buy and eat whatever we desire, our health prevents us from doing so.

Our own bodies can become cruel masters.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,832,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I eat what I want now. I don't pig out every meal, but if I want donuts or ice cream, I have them. Food's never been that big for me, so its not like I'm going to gorge myself. IMHO, once you've reached a certain age, eat and drink what you want. Ever been to a nursing home. Living a long life isn't all its cracked up to be.
I understand your line of reasoning but I don't subscribe to it entirely. Eating a poor diet could be one factor in putting people into nursing homes, as opposed to continuing to live independently and then just eventually dying. Under certain circumstances, being diabetic is one of them, a good route to a nursing home would be to eat plenty of donuts, regular ice cream, etc.

I do agree that a long life, per se, is a bit scary. A better goal might be good health during whatever life is left to us. In your particular case, your donuts and ice cream may not be harming you at all, but not all of us are that lucky.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
I don't know. I am trying now to be careful and moderate, forgoing carbs whenever I can. Carbs are my personal menace. I even limit my fruit consumption. I don't desire a lot of foods I should not have, but I do miss good bread. When I eat out, I have begun leaving a portion of the meal on the plate. When I eat with friends or family, I decide if it is good policy to eat a small portion of "forbidden" things or whether to abstain. But I watch portions. If there is a meal where I can do without a carb, I go without. I don't eat potatoes, white bread, doughnuts. I seldom eat white rice or corn chips. Its that kind of abstention. I do indulge in sweets sometimes, although I feel I've lost sweet tooth.

My mother began eating anything she wanted in her last decade, and she got very, very fat. I honestly don't want to do that. But who knows? Maybe if I get as old she got, I won't care.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 PM

730 posts, read 1,293,804 times
The most frustrating thing is if you have "dueling diets" -- meaning you're supposed to eat one way because of one medical condition, and also follow an entirely opposite diet because of a different medical condition.

I have high cholesterol (and WILL NOT take statins) which by following a low-cholesterol/low animal product diet that high in veggies, fruits and whole grains I can reduce to a level only slightly higher than "optimal".

But I also get kidney stones, and the recommended diet for THAT is low-oxalate: high in animal products (thus high in cholesterol), low in whole grains (i.e., white rice is okay but brown rice is not) and many fruits and vegetables.

Throw my IBS and my food allergies on top of that, which eliminates many veggies and fruits that are "safer" on both other lists, and I'm left with, basically, a handful of veggies plus the kind of carbs that we're NOT supposed to eat!

So basically for me, the entire subject of food has become a case of "pick yer poison", LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement