Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

I am 58 and eat what I want now. I also love my wine and get plenty of calories there, too :-)

I'm doing things backwards. I'm going to eat what I want until the doc says I need to change my wicked ways. I'm sure the day will come. Already, I'm fat enough that the nurse who checks me in to see the doc always asks if I have diabetes. I tell her, "Not yet!"

I am not a sweets eater, but I do love my carbs - pasta especially. So, if/when my sugar levels get weird, I'll have to cut back on the carbs, but that day has not come. Same with salt, etc. So far, so good.

I think it's one of the wonderful things about getting older - not worrying about how thin I am anymore. I'm even letting my gray hair grow out. I don't care if I'm fat. I tell my friends that I'm jolly, not fat.

When the day comes that the doc says, no more of this or that, or you will surely die soon....then I'll decide if I want to live longer bad enough to cut out the whatever it is.

I'd even still be smoking if it wasn't so expensive, and you could still smoke in your apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
When I was young, I was naturally thin and had that eat-what-you-want advantage in some ways. But I tried to limit myself after I started working taking care of the elderly or ill people. I wanted to stay a bit healthy so I wouldn't wind up with a lot of medical problems later on. I'm a senior now, and trying harder to eat healthy. My weight has crept up slowly over the years, but I'm not considered overweight. Still, I get tired frequently and have a few medical problems that aren't serious so far. Oh, and I keep my sugar intake as low as I can. After I detoxed on sugar long enough, anything that's sweet enough for the average person would absolutely gross me out! No artificial sweeteners used.

Last edited by Lee W.; 05-19-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't think I will ever eat anything I want. If I did, my diet would be like--ice cream, pie, donuts, brownies, chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, Hostess cupcakes, blueberry muffins. That would be my meal. Dessert might be a small bit of chicken or a hot dog, maybe some potatoes or other vegetable.

I have to keep at it or I'll devolve into an undisciplined sweet eating sick blob.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 PM

741 posts, read 764,169 times
Quote:
At what age will you start eating whatever you damn well
please

My observation has been that people get to that point ... when they're ill without the possibility of recovery (terminal) ... and they eat what they damn well please.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A thread about doughnuts inspired this question. I haven't had a doughnut in years, and am still, at age 66, trying to eat healthy and lose extra pounds.
My family joke is, I'm serving Cinnabons and cigarettes at my funeral.
Part of me is saying, give up and eat what you want, but I haven't given in to it yet.
You?
At what age will you start eating whatever you damn well please?

When you are too old to enjoy it.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:46 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
four years ago, I went paleo and no sugar. I love it.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
At what age will you start eating whatever you damn well please?

When you are too old to enjoy it.
That's how my parents were.
"It just doesn't taste the same!"

For those of you actually waiting to start eating whatever you please, remember this ...

From the National Library of Medicine > National Institutes of Health:

Most tastes come from odors. Sense of smell can diminish, especially after age 70.

You have approximately 9,000 taste buds.

The number of taste buds decreases as you age. Each remaining taste bud also begins to lose mass (atrophy). Sensitivity to the four tastes often declines after age 60. Usually salty and sweet tastes are lost first, followed by bitter and sour tastes. In addition, your mouth produces less saliva - causing dry mouth - which can affect your sense of taste.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
As someone with spina bifida, my GI would freak out if I did that as well. German pancakes, white toast, bacon, and hash browns for breakfast (or a Bavarian donut if on the run). Veggie burgers and xl fries for lunch. sushi, kettle chips and cake for dinner. Sierra Mist to drink at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Various cocktails involving rum, creme de menthe, curacao, or creme de cacao.

Candy of various, various kinds, in bulk, to munch on (gumdrops, honeycomb, jellybeans, butter creams).

This is the stuff I really like. But my GI would go to hell, and so would my blood pressure. I don't care really that I'm fat, but I don't like the physical discomfort that goes with it at times.

I like the thread, though!
Thanks to colitus, I'm missing several parts of the GI track. I've sort of gotten use to actually thinking if this is a good idea or not. Mostly I conclude the stuff I should leave on the shelf is not worth the results. The really really frustrating thing is a lot of stuff you should eat and are good for you are also on the not so good to eat list.

At least I eat spices at will. My sil can't tolerate them. We don't go to each others homes for dinner. I love spicy mexican and use a lot of oriental spices in everything. If I'm going to be eating small meals, every single bite is going to taste good...

Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

The number of taste buds decreases as you age. Each remaining taste bud also begins to lose mass (atrophy). Sensitivity to the four tastes often declines after age 60. Usually salty and sweet tastes are lost first, followed by bitter and sour tastes. In addition, your mouth produces less saliva - causing dry mouth - which can affect your sense of taste.
I sure as hell wish my sweet taste would diminish! I am 70 and it's still in overdrive!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I was a weird child I suppose since I detested sweets, fried foods, soggy veggies, and meat. Other kids called me Bugs Bunny because I was always eating raw veggies. I was very skinny and underweight they said. I was given something to make me gain weight but all it did was make me vomit, and I lost more weight. Dad told the doctor to leave me alone.

I have eaten what I want my entire life and have never weighed more than 105 lbs. at 5'1". I suppose my tastes in what food I like just happens to be healthy. I never gave it a thought how "healthy" it was. However, if once a year I want a hot fudge sundae, Big Mac, or a thick steak and fries, I just go with it because I have learned in 65 years to trust my "yuck food" cravings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement