U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,058,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I copied it to the general forum. It will be intersting to see what people say. I do have to wonder about Austin being a hard place to find a doctor who takes Medicare. How do you find such things out? If that's true... that's a good thing to know.
You could probably post a question about it in the Austin sub-forum. There may be someone on there who is 65 and would know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 04:34 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,509,075 times
What is even funnier about this is that this article's companion article on the "best places" to retire to has San Francisco as No. 1.

but , it is a great city. San Francisco. I'd live there if I could afford it.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 PM

13,317 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I filled out one of those self-test things about ideal places for retirement. One came up for me- "Worcester." A city 30 miles west of where I am now, and not a place I'd want for anything, never mind retirement.
Those surveys often say "good weather" without specifying what "good" is, and a lot of hot, humid places are considered good for retirement, whereas I'd hate it.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,049,244 times
Yes, those little tests just don't seem to ask the right questions for me and come up with places I really wouldn't want to live in. I have traveled in all but 7 of these United States so it isn't like I don't have an idea of what different areas are like.

I agree with Nancy, if SFO was affordable, it would be on my list. I lived 20 mi south of the city some 30 years ago and it wasn't very affordable then but it was the best place I have ever lived. Way to expensive to live anywhere near there now.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Recently retired and and hour and a half east of San Francisco.

A great place to visit, we go there at least 6-7 times a year, usually staying overnight. But to retire, with those hilly streets?

I took my dad there last year (he is 80) and he noted that it was just like stepping in a time machine back 50 plus years, but he noted the lack of elderly folks. He assumed they all probably had heart attacks negotiating the hills.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,028 times
I too took one of those retirement selfs test just for grins. I tried it several times and varied my answers a little bit every time. It always came up with some wacky place I would never move to. They all assume that nice weather is warm/hot. For me that's the opposite of ideal weather.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,795,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know it is a beautiful city but it is insanely expensive and out of the reach of most Americans. It is totally unrealistic.
I dunno if it's totally unrealistic ... we really do miss the Bay Area. I'm not just talking about SF but the whole area in general. Since my husband wants to retire earlier than I do and, I could actually increase my pension by tranferring there (since the pay rates for my job are higher there) ...

Our long term plan is to sell the house when the market gets better (obviously years from now) and transfer up there ... just to see if we could make it work, even with the higher COL.

That way my husband could retire and play in his favorite area while I increase my pension. If it turns out to be too expensive then, I'll go ahead and retire with my higher pension ... and we'll move someplace else.

It's just that we really do love the Bay Area and would like to try to make it work before we write it off completely. We can always move someplace cheaper but ... we can't help but wonder ... what's the point of retiring in a place that you really don't like just to save some money?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 PM

13,317 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I wouldn't retire somewhere I really didn't like just to save money. But some places just can't be done because of expense.
And some people will have to do whatever they can do, not what they'd like to do, because they didn't prepare much, or had financial setbacks despite their preparations. I know many of the former- dunno what they thought was going to happen, but now they can only do what they have to, not what they want.
I hope to stay where I am and make some trips out West. I thought of moving West, and don't think it makes much sense, especially for older age. I live in an expensive area with great medical care (Boston area) and if I couldn't afford my house or became frail or something, I think there are housing options that could work. I'm not crazy about the area, but it's very familiar and I don't think any other area offers a corresponding level of things that work.
I do leave my mind open- maybe if I retire and have health and enough money, I'll make a decision on vacation and move somewhere else.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
This topic gave me a laugh since we often discuss the best places to retire. I guess we should know the worst ones so we can avoid them. No I don't really go by these lists but I do read them. You want all the information you can get before making a move.
I liked the question at the end of the article about the 13 Worst. It said, "Want more?" Nooooooo.

But do you think a lot of people retire to places like these or is the retiree population in those places mostly people that have lived there all or most of their lives. For example, have you ever heard anyone say they want to retire to Queens, NY, Washington, DC or Bridgeport, CT from someplace else?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:39 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,052 times
No I don't know of anyone moving to those kinds of places. Lol we get loads of retired people moving here where I live on the Oregon coast. Just about all the cities here have lots of retired people.

I am inclined to think many retirees like a smaller town. I go to southern California once in a while to visit my grandchildren. I always notice the lack of older folks down there. It's almost all big cities crammed together down there. I think when people retire from there they move elsewhere a lot of the time. Some of the desert cities in CA have lots of older folks, but those cities are smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement