U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 AM

35,523 posts, read 10,525,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would not even consider canx your insurance. Believe me when I say one never knows when huge medical bills will hit you. They can come out of nowhere, and it seems as we get to our 60's we start to realize just that. I don't understand what you mean, things will be cheaper when your 65. Do you plan on just getting A and B and not having a supplement? I know in my case my Blue Cross thru my pension is currently $150 a month plus $45 for Dental. In 6 months I will be 65 and I will take Part A and B for the current cost. So my health insurance costs will go way up from what they are now. So I'm not sure how yours will be cheaper other than what I mentioned. You really need a supplement to Part A and B or things could get real expensive.

What makes you think they will go "way up?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,619 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
because... ""I know in my case my Blue Cross thru my pension is currently $150 a month plus $45 for Dental. In 6 months I will be 65 and I will take Part A and B for the current cost. So my health insurance costs will go way up from what they are now"

I can't even imagine $195 . month ($1700/month in my house for $20k annual deductible and no meds), so... ~ $50k out of pocket / yr. (and going up)

Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,494,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Because I will be paying for my BC/BS as I do today, and I will add the cost of the monthly Medicare premiums. So my monthly bill for health insurance will obviously be more than it is today. My BC/BS which basically will be my supplement to Medicare, goes up every single year.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:41 PM

8,797 posts, read 7,712,915 times
I might humbly suggest that you talk to the company that currently supplies your health care, explain to them your plan and see what they say. What I've heard is that while ACA companies can't turn anyone away, they may be able to delay enrollment until an open enrollment period. Rather than getting input from a forum like this, talk to your insurance company. At this point, everything with health care is a mess. I wouldn't count on what anyone says will be true in 2 1/2 years.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 AM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
***Verify everything I say because I do not claim to be an expert***

But here's what I was told. If the premiums are more than 8% of your income, you are exempt.

And for me the premium, even with the subsidy, is over 8% of my income. And I live in a state that didn't expand Medicaid so there is no affordable coverage for me.

But I'm sure all this is going to change again and again!

I'm sure I will be finding all this out for sure when I do or don't get fined on my taxes. But I think it's about $100 the first year. Worst case scenario.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM

10,009 posts, read 16,678,592 times
Quote:
Because I will be paying for my BC/BS as I do today, and I will add the cost of the monthly Medicare premiums. So my monthly bill for health insurance will obviously be more than it is today. My BC/BS which basically will be my supplement to Medicare, goes up every single year.
The only Medicare premiums are for Part B and the pharmacy program.

Check on the following with your BC/BS insurer:

If you sign up for Part B will your current co-pays be reduced? I don't recommend not signing up for Part B as your former employer may drop retiree coverage. If you are a Fed retiree switch to GEHA during open season because you will have no copays if you sign up for Part B and your total health care costs may in fact go down.

Is their pharmacy benefit at least equal to Medicare's pharmacy program? If yes you don't need to sign up for that but keep a copy of the policy paperwork so if you need to document that fact at a later date you have it handy.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,204,023 times
OP: Aside from the suggestions offered on this forum, in addition to getting in touch with your insurance company, I would suggest checking on the Health and Wellness forum, under the subforum, Health Insurance. They seem to really know what they're talking about from what I've read. Not sure if you posted this question or something similar beforehand ... sounds familiar. Good luck to you.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM

35,523 posts, read 10,525,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
because... ""I know in my case my Blue Cross thru my pension is currently $150 a month plus $45 for Dental. In 6 months I will be 65 and I will take Part A and B for the current cost. So my health insurance costs will go way up from what they are now"

I can't even imagine $195 . month ($1700/month in my house for $20k annual deductible and no meds), so... ~ $50k out of pocket / yr. (and going up)

OK--I understand. I thought there was some other expected increase due to your becoming 65 other than the Medicare premium.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 AM

3,416 posts, read 5,139,308 times
Quote:
If your current policy covers the same things as Medicare Part A & B then you can opt not to sign up for medicare. If you do choose to get Medicare coverage then you will have a variety of supplemental policies to pick from, if you want one, whether an Advantage plan or a Medigap plan. You are not required to have any supplemental policy. You are not required to keep the current policy from BC/BS. You will need to do some research to find out what the best option is for you.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,494,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The only Medicare premiums are for Part B and the pharmacy program.

Check on the following with your BC/BS insurer:

If you sign up for Part B will your current co-pays be reduced? I don't recommend not signing up for Part B as your former employer may drop retiree coverage. If you are a Fed retiree switch to GEHA during open season because you will have no copays if you sign up for Part B and your total health care costs may in fact go down.

Is their pharmacy benefit at least equal to Medicare's pharmacy program? If yes you don't need to sign up for that but keep a copy of the policy paperwork so if you need to document that fact at a later date you have it handy.

Yes I am a Fed retiree, and my BC/BS is thru my pension. I can keep it even when on Medicare. So it will be secondary to Part A and B. I am told I will have little to no copayments at age 65 with the combination of all these insurances.

I have been considering taking the GEHA plan if it will be cheaper than the BC/BS Federal I have now. I think as I get older it will be difficult to maintain the BC plan, simply because the premium goes up every single year. Since there is a penalty every year for not signing up for Medicare, I have decided to just take it in Nov when I turn 65.

I will research the GEHA plans and see if they are cheaper than the BC one I have now.

Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement