U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla98 View Post
Uhm...I've lived here for 10 years and have never complained about traffic. There is 170,000 people in the summer months and 200,000 in the winter. And that is only because of the snow birds..lol
It is all relative to what you are used to, for me I thought the traffic, especially on Cape Coral Blvd was awful.

I've decided I do not want to live in any coastal area that has a flock of snowbirds coming for the winter, SW FL from Sarasota down fits that bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:33 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It is all relative to what you are used to, for me I thought the traffic, especially on Cape Coral Blvd was awful.

I've decided I do not want to live in any coastal area that has a flock of snowbirds coming for the winter, SW FL from Sarasota down fits that bill.
My husband and I have lived in Florida for 40+ years - and agree with you in terms of snowbirds. We like to live in areas where most residents are year round residents. We were in Miami for 20+ years - and have been here in NE Florida for almost 20 now. Not many snowbirds in either area. When we decided to leave Miami - we skipped over SE and SW Florida because it was basically too much snowbird country for us.

Florida is a really big state. And here where we live - NE Florida - it isn't snowbird country at all. OTOH - we do get cool and sometimes downright cold weather in the winter. Although not as cold as places in NC - Georgia and SC. Robyn

Old 05-26-2014, 02:00 PM

8,984 posts, read 7,753,935 times
I would first consider what life style I am looking for meaning is an over 55, association living arrangement for you. I personally lean in that direction with Sun City, Hilton Head (Bluffton) SC and The Villages, FL. of interest especially as I am a golfer.

You mention the coast. How far from the coast do you mean? Coastal land is expensive and can be prone to flooding. Additionally the closer to the coast, the more chances of being hit by tropical storms, hurricanes where as being 10 miles off the coast can make quite a difference. Also insurance rates can be quite high near the coast. Living on the coast has it attractions but how much is one willing to pay becomes the question. Often just 20 miles off the coast can still be considered coastal living, but much less expensive.

The only way to assure year round warm weather is to be in FL, south of Orlando. That area can also get jam packed during the winter with snow birds seeking warm weather. If wanting the warm winters then, I would suggest the west coast of FL. An older, more settled, less party hard area then the east coast of FL.

The east coast from Wilmington NC to Jacksonville FL and the Gulf coast of FL, AL, and MS can get a touch of cold during the winter but little to no snow. Most Yankees consider the winters there to be mild. Myself I would narrow it to the east coast from Charleston SC to Fort Pierce FL and the FL west (gulf) coast from Naples to Pensacola. The middle of FL north to south (with the exception of the Orlando area) can be pretty much country type folks. Watch some get all over me for that....LOL

Hope this helps.

Last edited by johngolf; 05-26-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM

39,288 posts, read 20,376,459 times
Quote:
For me it would be Wilmington/Southport NC
Hubbie wants SW FL....I hate Fl with a purple passion, but he says NC isn't warm enough in winter, maybe so, but it can't be as cold as NJ.

I've now asked him if he wants that much warmth to check out the AL and MS gulf coasts..I'd be miserable in FL
lol, same here. I would have been happy to move to NC but the gulf coast if fine too. Anything to get away from this snow even though NC does get cold. We loved Naples but for some reason my husband has Fort Myers on his radar.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:55 PM

39,288 posts, read 20,376,459 times
Quote:

I always joke I must have done something really bad in my last life to live up here in the snow belt. Long story why we didn't move sooner. We were in Cape Coral and Naples in Feb and the traffic wasn't too bad. Maybe it's what us snow birds are used to though.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My husband and I have lived in Florida for 40+ years - and agree with you in terms of snowbirds. We like to live in areas where most residents are year round residents. We were in Miami for 20+ years - and have been here in NE Florida for almost 20 now. Not many snowbirds in either area. When we decided to leave Miami - we skipped over SE and SW Florida because it was basically too much snowbird country for us.

Florida is a really big state. And here where we live - NE Florida - it isn't snowbird country at all. OTOH - we do get cool and sometimes downright cold weather in the winter. Although not as cold as places in NC - Georgia and SC. Robyn
That is food for thought...will have to check the area out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement