U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:35 AM

22 posts, read 41,078 times

Advertisements

I would love feedback from the thousands of us out there that are researching where to retire along the Southeastern coast. From VA to NC to SC to GA to FL. Where have you looked, what has made an impression? What are the top priorities on your check list and what communities are in the lead?

Thank you. Sharing will hopefully eliminate a lot of leg work for everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
I like the area around Southport, NC, mainly because there is housing there I would be comfortable in and because of the intracoastal waterway.

Another choice would be around Litchfield, Georgetown, Pawley's Island, SC.

And finally, Hilton Head and areas around Charleston. I particularly like Kiawah and Isle of Palms but missed my opportunity 30 years ago for buying at a good price at either of those locations.

I have a fondness for Savannah (some of my family is from Savannah) but housing is hit and miss.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
Nothing north of Central Florida -- If one is going to move to live on/near the beach/ocean, warm weather is required. In the Panhandle of Florida this year (Pensacola - Jacksonville), it was largely cold (or at least uncomfortable on the water) between October/November and Mid May. It's only now starting to warm-up.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:14 PM

364 posts, read 553,066 times
The real break in water temperatures along the east coast is the outer banks of North Carolina, that's where the Gulf stream takes a right turn and heads off to England. If you look at any water temperature map you will see a sharp drop-off from the south end of the outer banks to Norfolk and above. It's true I wouldn't swim off our beaches in North Carolina anytime before May, but April in Myrtle Beach is comparable to June in Atlantic City. I think anything from the Crystal Coast of NC south is great, you can swim May through October and that's quite enough for me.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabc08 View Post
I would love feedback from the thousands of us out there that are researching where to retire along the Southeastern coast. From VA to NC to SC to GA to FL. Where have you looked, what has made an impression? What are the top priorities on your check list and what communities are in the lead?

Thank you. Sharing will hopefully eliminate a lot of leg work for everyone!
The Crystal Coast of NC

Places to Stay | Crystal Coast NC | Outer Banks

Old 05-21-2014, 03:51 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,301,479 times
Fernandina Beach, FL. Just above Amelia Island. Old Florida at its best. Interesting architecture, walkable, artsy, funky, charming.

Beaufort, SC and the area around it- Lady's Island, etc. Part of the GA Sea Islands. Historic but building up. Spectacular beauty, expanses of waterways, salt marshes, etc.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:32 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,959,888 times
Amelia Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8arhJVfeHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcR36KRAn60

Last edited by JBtwinz; 05-21-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 05:44 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,508 times
Southport, NC area. ��⚓⛵

Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,335,268 times
Far enough south to be warm, far enough north to afford, pleasant calm waters of the gulf...Clearwater to Venice, Florida.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 PM

494 posts, read 880,580 times
For a retiree who doesn't need to depend on the local economy to earn a living (and doesn't mind spending the hottest part of the day for at least half the year or possibly even a bit more indoors in air conditioning), I think Southwest Florida (gulf coast), where I live now, is awesome.

Lots to do, some relatively affordable places as well as upscale homes, beautiful beaches/sunsets, and on the whole very nice people. Insurance is more costly in most coastal areas of Florida than what I'm guessing may be typical elsewhere (and I suggest staying out of high-risk flood zones if you buy a home), but insurance costs vary widely depending on the particular property you buy, and some other costs are lower than in some other places, so nice homes are possible for a range of people's budgets.

I've lived in several places around the country that are considered very desirable places to live and still feel lucky to live here, so that says a lot about the place. (But of course this is just one of many great places for retirees; other places that I'm less familiar with are probably just as nice--my impression is there are a lot of good places to choose from for retirees.)

Last edited by City__Datarer; 05-21-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement