U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:08 PM

10,322 posts, read 9,372,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Square, and I was a square back then...hippies, haight ashbury, psychedelic drugs....it was like hearing about another planet...
When folks comment about the '60s', it's usually about the things you mentioned which didn't really start to kick in until the mid-60s. There was also the assassination of President Kennedy, Martin Luke King, Jr., and Bobby Kennedy; and of course the Vietnam War.

1960 - 1963 was, for the most part, a calm time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:13 PM

18,828 posts, read 4,941,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
When folks comment about the '60s', it's usually about the things you mentioned which didn't really start to kick in until the mid-60s. There was also the assassination of President Kennedy, Martin Luke King, Jr., and Bobby Kennedy; and of course the Vietnam War.

1960 - 1963 was, for the most part, a calm time.
Yes, I was commenting on a limited view, there was alot more, I just turned 13 when the 60's
started, married in 1970, a year after they ended, quite a ride...

Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
CNN is starting a 10-part series tonight (May 29) on the Sixties. They'll probably romanticize it, but it should bring back memories.
Thanks for this.
It might help me remember the parts I can't remember

Old 05-29-2014, 05:14 PM

241 posts, read 226,709 times
Rat Pack

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
I got Hippie, which isn't surprising, but it was a really stupid poll. Most of the cultural stuff had nothing to do with the sixties.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 PM

466 posts, read 290,403 times
Hippie. No surprise there

Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
Speaking of 'hippie', I've always wondered if that was the 'demo' group description of everybody that went to Woodstock. I mean every time you see a pix of the place you see people 'floating' and 'groovin'' like they're made out of vapor or something plus with flowers in their hair as a nice fashion device...;-)....hmmmm ...was it really like that? (just asking from deep withiong the 'canyons of my mind' you know since I had to go to work that famous Woodstock day!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,583,756 times
It was like that actually since it was a group pretty narrowly focused in age & cultural tastes & motivated enough to travel a few hours to hear that kind of music (hippie countercultural rock, not Top Ten or R&B or pop). So in that sense it was relatively homogenous & the vast numbers of "us" pleasantly shocked us. Obviously there were all kinds of people there but there was a definite "spirit" in the crowd.

Once you found a seat in the massive crowd you stayed there & people nearby would share food, drinks & joints since getting out of your position to get that stuff would be a major expedition & you would never find your place back again. (I think going to the john meant you would wander around the grounds & explore for an hour or 2 after taking care of business, hard to remember now) We would ultimately meet up back at the tent to sleep.

Also the massive rainstorms with the subsequent drenching & inescapable mud created a real sense that we are "all in this together" & we should pull together & make the best of things which inadvertently created a team spirit. Not to be too cliche about it but, yes, it was that good! And then we all had to return to this world again. Sorry you didn't make it, I must've taken Friday off, or that was after I got fired from a job as a teen, but I had bought the ticket months in advance.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,278,076 times
Anacronism. That is where I belong in relating to the 60's. Had no opinion or none of the above been quiz choices, that would have been my selection in most of the questions. Like so many others, had no idea who many of the personalities were. Answered as best I could, and, of course, came out Square.

Without taking this thread too political, of all the decades in which I have been alive, the 60's was the worst, for several reasons. Aside from personal reasons, this decade marked the start, Imo, of America's social, moral, economic, and political decline, a decline which continues to this day. I am very much a child and product of the 40's and 50's, and will remain so for what little time I may have left.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM

6,558 posts, read 3,656,219 times
Revolutionary...I'm not surprised.
It is time to change the world! Who's with on this???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or