U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM

71,643 posts, read 71,777,271 times

Advertisements

that thriving easy economy pre all the credit was at a time we manufactured most of the worlds goods.

now our gdp is 70% consumer spending.

bye bye spending bye bye jobs and the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,036,182 times
I couldn't care less. I am NOT my credit score. I have credit cards, but mostly I use cash ... if I can't afford it I don't buy it.

I have decided as I grow older that I am going to rebel against the status quo, because we are all fed lies and manipulated by news media and advertising.

I have my retirement home (I am blessed) and a good job until I choose to retire. I am with the OP although I'm not really that old yet, but I am NOT going to be intimidated by these numbers one day longer!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,036,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing that I have found is that life does get a lot easier as you get older. The pressures to grow in a career are mostly gone, you know pretty much who you are and are comfortable in your own skin, and financially you are more set.

Personally, I pay cash for everything, last car payment I had was in 1985 and I only use my debit card for every purchase, no credit cards at all. So my credit score means about as much to me as my batting average. Life is good, except for these aches and pains.

Don
Don, I am totally with you on this! Great post!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,219,341 times
Some states, such as Maryland, do not allow insurance companies to refuse to renew or increase the premiums of current policy holders based on the holder's credit. Thus, no need for the company to pull credit scores on current policy holders.

Some states, such as Maryland, prohibit most employers from using a credit score to deny employment or otherwise negatively affect the terms of the offer.

Some debit cards, such as my credit union debit card, provide the same protection as credit cards. (It helps to read the terms of the Agreement).

Credit scores are not nearly as important as they were in the "old days". Even with a great credit score, one still has to deal with the wretched information shared by Data Brokers. See, FTC Recommends Congress Require the Data Broker Industry to be More Transparent and Give Consumers Greater Control Over Their Personal Information | Federal Trade Commission

Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,162 times
A friend lives in a crime ridden area. Her house will be worthless when it's paid off.
Told her to walk away and move to the states so she doesn't get shot or worse.
Will not listen thinks she has to keep her credit score up. She's late 70s.
Family would help her. Totally nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or