Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 AM

723 posts, read 868,659 times

Advertisements

well I'm 26 and I don't even really know what a credit score is, let alone worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
LOL, RIIIIGHT. You 2 are "Special" I'll bet you can drive safely while drunk too right?
Actually, I don't drink. Never have. 'Course you won't believe that, either - because, of course, you know everything.
Quote:
Oh.... You LEASE! And THAT'S a smart financial decision.
Do me a favor: I don't listen to Dave Ramsey, but give him a call and "school" him on how a lease is better.
Well, he's wrong. Leasing makes sense, depending on the variables. But, you wouldn't know that, either. Because you haven't a clue what those variables might be.

Why are you on Retirement anyway - aren't you like 30 y/o???? What you believe to be true for your peer group is certainly not true for most of the 60/70 y/o people on this forum

Old 05-27-2014, 01:38 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
if you use a debit card as a credit card (don't do pin) it has the SAME protection (if it's a visa or MasterCard logo debit card) as one of their credit cards.

I've had mine stolen several times, I just switch to a different. Necking account/debit card and my money's been returned within 24 hours. (YOU get the money back while they investigate) and my max liability is $50. And it's never cost me that!

I don't buy new cars.... That right there has saved me more than your credit cards ever have you.
(aside from the fact that credit cards... Cards of any kind don't SAVE you money. Your more likely to SPEND more money with cards than cash. I spend mostly cash, just use the cards for gas (some times) and ordering things.
Saves me plenty.

Credit Card Basics: Everything You Should Know - Forbes

So much for "earning money" with credit cards....
you are not trying to convince us again with your claim about debit cards. you were already shown how wrong that assumption is, we don't need to go over it again. your experience does not change the laws. the problem is and we see it all the time ,people do the transactions with their pin numbers most of the time.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-27-2014 at 01:50 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Actually, I don't drink. Never have. 'Course you won't believe that, either - because, of course, you know everything.

Well, he's wrong. Leasing makes sense, depending on the variables. But, you wouldn't know that, either. Because you haven't a clue what those variables might be.

Why are you on Retirement anyway - aren't you like 30 y/o???? What you believe to be true for your peer group is certainly not true for most of the 60/70 y/o people on this forum
1. I'm medically retired from the Corps.
2. You don't want younger people to plan for retirement? There have been threads about this...

As to the lease.... Spain it to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you are not trying to convince us again with your claim about debit cards. you were already shown how wrong that assumption is, we don't need to go over it again. your experience does not change the laws. the problem is and we see it all the time ,people do the transactions with their pin numbers most of the time.
yes, yes, yes. For the umpteenth time.... Your ok with your credit card contract with visa/MasterCard, but not the debit card contract....
And the way your phrasing t is (again) quite simply a LIE!

As to people using their card "improperly" well truth be told, I used to....they STILL gave me all my money back.
But now "we all know" just swipe your card and click "credit".... Your worrying about what people do and do not do....that's their business...
You don't stop them from blowing it on lotto tickets either...

Old 05-27-2014, 02:18 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
you keep believing your own bull-sh*t . just because you got your money back does not mean a thing . you have certain restrictions on debit cards that have to be met before you have zero liability.

believe what you want but for anyone interested in what the card policies are :

"Discover offers the best fraud liability for PIN debit card transactions in that cardholders are NOT liable for unauthorized transactions, while Visa and MasterCard’s policies have significant shortcomings. (American Express does not offer debit-based PIN transactions).

Liability for a Visa PIN debit card transaction depends on whether VISA or an unaffiliated PIN network processes the transaction, but there is NO WAY for cardholders to determine how a given transaction will be processed. More specifically, cardholders will either enjoy $0 liability if a transaction is processed by VISA or get no additional coverage beyond what is available via federal law if it processed by a third-party network. In certain cases, the latter situation could result in the cardholder assuming full liability for the unauthorized transaction.

MasterCard does not offer added liability protection for unauthorized PIN debit card transactions. If it cannot be proven that the cardholder furnished the PIN, liability is limited by federal law to $50 if the fraud is reported within two business days and $500 if reported within 60 days (no limit thereafter)."
'

does that sound like the same zero liability credit cards get to anyone else here?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
- So, there's even a silver lining when shelling out all that cash.

Yes, finances continue on in the same fashion, it seems. Clothing/auto expenses less. Other than that, not much has changed.
To me it is still money in and money out with the same goals of money in exceeding money out with the same big question of how to allocate the difference. The biggest difference may be that the part being allocated for retirement is now in play, with perhaps different management needs/goals.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
well I'm 26 and I don't even really know what a credit score is, let alone worry about it.
And your are on the retirement forum because?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
One thing that I have found is that life does get a lot easier as you get older. The pressures to grow in a career are mostly gone, you know pretty much who you are and are comfortable in your own skin, and financially you are more set.

Personally, I pay cash for everything, last car payment I had was in 1985 and I only use my debit card for every purchase, no credit cards at all. So my credit score means about as much to me as my batting average. Life is good, except for these aches and pains.

Don

Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times
A question for those here with experience running credit checks for insurance companies: Can they do a "soft check" with only the last 4 digits of someone's SS number, rather than the entire number? This in order to provide a rate quote.

Having once gone through the nightmare that is identity theft, I'm extremely cautious (okay, paranoid, LOL) about giving out my SS#. For instance I don't give it to medical providers (and it irks me that Medicare will force me to... don't get me started...) and I certainly don't want to give it to every Tom, Dick and Harry insurance agent if I need to comparison-shop rates upon renewal of homeowners and auto insurance. I used to be able to get a rate quote without providing my SS# (realizing that if I do decide to go with a particular company, I will have to provide it; but we're talking the shop-around stage here) but over the past couple of years I'm finding that they are insisting on the entire number before running a quote.

So I'm wondering if they can do a soft check with only the last four digits? anyone know? (I did ask my current agent; she didn't know)

Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Find out. Ignorance is nothing to be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement