U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 AM

241 posts, read 226,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Is the point to have the garage with a lower floor so that carbon monoxide (which is heavier than air) doesn't rise into the house?

It's not a national code requirement to have the garage floor at a different (I'm presuming, lower) level than the house. It is a code requirement that the garage be fireblocked from the house and that the door between the two is self-closing.
Around here (northern IL) all the garages I have seen are lower and the ones I have seen in FL are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 AM

30,129 posts, read 47,361,961 times
In Texas it is the same way -- there is a step up from attached garage into pretty much any house I have seen...we have FL vacation house w/attached 2 car garage and there is step up into house--but haven't seen that many FL houses as TX to know if that is standard...

but don't think it is carbon monoxide--
In Texas and in FL many water heaters are placed in garages--
I think one reason those floors are lower is flooding--
by having the garage floor lower you hopefully trap any water overflowing from the water heater's pan it sits in and prevents damage to the house...
Also any other flooding coming in that way would be minimized to certain extent...

Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 AM

20,178 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
In Texas it is the same way -- there is a step up from attached garage into pretty much any house I have seen...we have FL vacation house w/attached 2 car garage and there is step up into house--but haven't seen that many FL houses as TX to know if that is standard...

but don't think it is carbon monoxide--
In Texas and in FL many water heaters are placed in garages--
I think one reason those floors are lower is flooding--
by having the garage floor lower you hopefully trap any water overflowing from the water heater's pan it sits in and prevents damage to the house...
Also any other flooding coming in that way would be minimized to certain extent...
However just as often in Texas the water heater is in the house itself (some are even in the attic), so there would not be a code requirement to have every garage lower than the house when there is no requirement to have every water heater in the garage.

I suspect the only reason garages tend to be lower than the house is because the house is always on a foundation that will place it at least a few inches above ground level, while the garage is naturally very close to ground level.

I'm looking at a house for purchase right now that has living space above the garage--thus the garage requires the same foundation as the rest of the house--and the garage floor is dead level with the rest of the house.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 AM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
I like the open space. Here in NE the old house stock is chopped up little spaces and kitchens that are an abomination. I am not part of a 'we' and I don't format my space with consideration for others. I mostly like to keep people out of my space. Yeah, I'm a weirdo. And neurotic as hell about space. Even tho I have spent my entire life without a 'decent' kitchen, I still feel that the kitchen is the heart of the home and would prefer to have a very big eat-in kitchen. Dining rooms are for setting up the sewing machine, junk mail accumulation, etc. I have gotten used to dining rooms over the years, but I still think it's weird to eat in a room separate from the kitchen and one usually outfitted with a carpet so you have something to soak up the spilled gravy.
Even in that theoretical kitchen you are describing there is usually an adjacent area suitable for gathering the gals. And there are ways to create the feeling of separation by using freestanding cabinets, shelving, or other furniture to define a space. In one of my houses I separated an office space from the living room by using pairs of bookcases back to back to create a wall. The space between the two sets of paired bookcases formed an entry.

I am having the opposite of your problem. In my very tiny price range I cannot find the open space I need to set up a studio for my various activities. It has to be near the kitchen because I need water, microwave and stove accessibility for felting, dying, etc.

I think that the suggestion to use a bedroom as a media room is very practical and it can even do double duty as a guest room should you need that.
I live in, what I would call, a large studio built from a one car garage/workshop/carport. Only one wall that separates the bathroom and part of the bedroom from the kitchen/dining. The 'wall' between the bedroom and living room is a large entertainment center. It works great. Since you can see my bed and all from the door when you walk in I have a desk and file cabinet with a large fish tank on top to kind of separate it. It works. I don't have to worry about entertaining but have plenty of room for company and dinner guests.

I won't be living here forever and my next place will have 2 BR, or other dedicated area, for an office/hobby room. Things are getting out of hand here. lol

Old 05-29-2014, 08:26 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Open spaces presumably cut down on those "What did I come in here for? " moments.

BPS Research Digest: How walking through a doorway increases forgetting

I live in an older two story bungalow and have a lot of those "senior moments". When staying at my son's guest cottage, I have three rooms: bedroom w/door, kitchen, and living room. The openness and simplicity works well for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 AM

649 posts, read 554,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm looking at a house for purchase right now that has living space above the garage--thus the garage requires the same foundation as the rest of the house--and the garage floor is dead level with the rest of the house.
Most newer homes in the South, outside of Florida, are this way. If they have a FROG (Finished Room Over Garage) then you are correct about the foundation and level of the garage floor.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Open spaces presumably cut down on those "What did I come in here for? " moments.

BPS Research Digest: How walking through a doorway increases forgetting

I live in an older two story bungalow and have a lot of those "senior moments". When staying at my son's guest cottage, I have three rooms: bedroom w/door, kitchen, and living room. The openness and simplicity works well for me.

I have grown very tired of caring for this house - way too big and way too much work. Your described simplicity sounds nice. I definitely have more stuff to get rid of - more furniture etc...

Just mowed the front yard and am pooped - still have the park in the back yard to do - bah!

If had a maid to care for the inside I'd be OK with just futzin in the yard all day - where did that darn maid go?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:04 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
Our last two homes have been open floor plan. Love it! Traditional walled rooms now make me feel closed in.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM

6,591 posts, read 3,674,133 times
My (Spanish revival) house has a kitchen, dining and living room all in one long space with some definition to each space (half wall, columns, step down living room, etc) but still a unified visual space. I converted a bedroom/office into a TV room and have only a small (seldom used) TV in the living room. I dislike the open concept style but this serves me well and is sort of a compromise. I like wall art and framed photography and wish I had more wall space for that but otherwise I'm OK with it.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Back to the open floor plans (really do need walls in that safe room - but no window)~~~~~

One thing I didn't notice or pay attention to - electrical outlets. I assume they are on the floor but are they next to the few walls that exist and others on the floor? How do they determine where on the floor?

Curiouser and curiouser~~~~
Now that I have lower-back and knee issues and thus bending (and even squatting) is painful, I wish that the outlets were hip-level instead of being only 8-12" up from the floor! I would hate to have the outlets in the actual floor itself. Ouch!!

Someone mentioned windows: Give me a wall space instead of a window any day. I removed the second window in two of the bedrooms in my current house, and also a sliding glass door in the den. The den already had 2 windows, and there was another door to the backyard in the adjacent room, so all that glass was overkill. Like another poster said, I don't want to see my neighbors nor do I want them to see in. I do, however, love shelves for books etc and wall space for art; both of those give me much more pleasure than a window would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement