U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 PM

4,698 posts, read 2,546,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I consider the kitchen to be "private space;" I don't want to open my kitchen to everyone who I happen to let through the front door. I have seen homes that were completely open from living room to kitchen to family room.

I think having the kitchen open to the family room is fine, because the family room is also "private space." If I were entertaining friends, it would be in the family room, not in the living room.

I think the open concept is a way for builders to pay less in construction costs and charge more for concept.

As far as getting around when older...that's an argument for wider doors and halls and larger bathrooms.
I lived in Europe for some time and loved that they had actual doors (wood frame with opaque glass that let light in) to their kitchens. It provided privacy, but more importantly it contained the odors of foods.

Although I enjoy the aroma of a good meal as it is being cooked (whet's one appetite), I absolutely hate that the odors linger throughout the house for hours. Coffee smells great while being brewed, and stinks if the coffeemake stays on. In Europe, they could cook fish inside the house and the house would not stink. Here, forget it (depending on type of fish, of course.)

I despise the modern open floor plans of recent years (I have framed art for the walls), even though I do like larger rooms. My biggest problem is that I live in the SF Bay Area, and the houses that are built in the style I like (and have adequate square footage) are extremely expensive.

I hate laminate flooring, hate lumpy/saltillo tile throughout (but like matte finish tile floors in the bathroom), love perimeter heating (floor vents), love real wood floors which "gives" more underfoot, which feels much better to the legs). Most of all, I hate what I call the "real estate investor" look which includes most of my least desirable features. It's so obvious when they remove walls and or a large part of a wall. And they all (around here, anyway) have some features that give away the fact that they were purchased cheap and then "turned over" for resale.

I wouldn't even consider a home where the kitchen is visible from the front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If I think about becoming older, frail, and possibly needing a wheelchair or walker, the open space looks like freedom to live on my own. Lots of doors and tiny rooms are not good for the mobility impaired. I would tile the whole place and make it as easy to care for as possible. If I was buying new, all the power outlets would be at waist level. And the shower would be large and walk in with a bench seat. And a shower curtain that can be easily replaced. No nasty hard to clean glass door!
My small house was built for my mom who had it done to her 'scale'. Plenty of floor space for the eventual walker, etc., no doors inside the house...not even the bathroom. But there's plenty of privacy anyway and all that can be seen, unless you're up pretty close, is the sink, medicine cabinet and a small cabinet. The shower I LOVE! It's huge and has a really nice, large, built in seat and NO glass door. Nice shower curtain though. I do wish she had put tile in, rather than Berber carpet. There IS tile in the kitchen and bathroom. And she had the kitchen built 'small' also. The counters are very low because she's only about 4'9" anymore so needs things lower. For me it means an aching back by the time I'm done with the dishes because she also had one of those new modern really DEEP sinks installed. I need a small dishwasher!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
I do not like it open floor plan. There is nothing more depressing than having to look at kitchen that you have prepared dinner in while you are eating. All I can think about is doing dishes. I don't mind an open dining/living room, but the kitchen should be behind closed doors so you can enjoy your guests without freaking out about the kitchen being a mess.

Also, it is nice to be able to sit at the dining room or kitchen table, reading a book without having to hear what everybody else in the house is doing, especially if they are watching an obnoxious televison show.

I have always preferred the rooms of my house to be as separate as possible. I hope that this "open floor plan" trend dies out.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
What I wonder is: how long will it be before the "OOOh, gotta have an open floor plan" changes to"What were they thinking" and the big thing will be putting walls up. It will happen.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Noting at all. Somebody up thread mentioned "nasty" glass shower doors and hoped for shower curtains.
We have 'hard water' where I live and it's full of lime and other minerals that can really mess up ANYTHING glass. It seems like no matter how hard we try, or work at it, shower doors, coffee pots and windows will still get stubborn and awful spots. We use everything from CLR to plain vinegar to try to avoid it. We have finally got the water softener hooked up to both of our houses so maybe that'll help.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM

241 posts, read 226,788 times
Don't know. We have been living in the closed off/claustrophobic roomed house for some time. It has taken us about 20 years to say, please...open it up.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We have a bidet. If I were building today - instead of 20 years ago - I'd put in one of those Toto toilets that does everything except wash the floor when you're finished doing your business . Robyn
We have the Toto toilets at work and I really like them. The first time I used it, and it flushed by itself, it made me jump! lol

Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My small house was built for my mom who had it done to her 'scale'. Plenty of floor space for the eventual walker, etc., ........
Why would your mom, or anyone else, think about an "eventual" walker? That makes it sound like an inevitability. If someone wishes to plan for floor space in case a walker becomes necessary, there is certainly nothing wrong with that. However, I don't understand the attitude that we are all going to be crippled and disabled.

In other words, it's not the planning for a worst case scenario that I am questioning, but the wording which indicates inevitability.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM

34,689 posts, read 33,695,295 times
I don't like living in a fishbowl. I don't need to eyeball everyone all the time and they don't need to eyeball me. It's the same reason why I don't care for homes with a lot of glass (windows).

However, I live in an apartment so who cares what I think on this topic...not even me.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I wouldn't own a house without a bidet!
I would love a bidet but have never owned a house in which the bathroom was large enough to accommodate one (plus the toilet). They've all been "bowling alley shape" bathrooms. :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement