U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We have 'hard water' where I live and it's full of lime and other minerals that can really mess up ANYTHING glass. It seems like no matter how hard we try, or work at it, shower doors, coffee pots and windows will still get stubborn and awful spots. We use everything from CLR to plain vinegar to try to avoid it. We have finally got the water softener hooked up to both of our houses so maybe that'll help.

Same problem here in southern NM. I use a squeegee on the shower stall walls and the glass shower door each time I use it and then I wipe the glass door down with a towel. None of those new chemicals that promise to keep your shower/doors clean works! And I suspect the chemicals wouldn't be a good if you are on a septic system. Even having the water softener won't solve the problem totally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We have a bidet. If I were building today - instead of 20 years ago - I'd put in one of those Toto toilets that does everything except wash the floor when you're finished doing your business . Robyn
I have one of those in another bathroom - it was $500 for the bidet/butt seat. I wanted the one with the hair dryer and powder puff but that was something like $2,000 !! Problem with this bidet seat is that guests freak out and are afraid to even use the toilet until I explain what it is. Then, they have to tell everyone and everyone at the party goes into the bathroom to examine it. I tell you, it's a conversation piece. (how did we get onto this from open floor plans !)

Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 AM

38,116 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Don't tell me toilets are going to be out in the open too?

Well, whatever. Not as shy as I use to be anyway.

Love my Toto toilet. Never use the blow dryer. Takes too long. But everything else is just the berries.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 AM

491 posts, read 597,951 times
I like my open kitchen/dining/living room. It allows me to have more people over than if each room was separate.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
There's a bar downtown where they have 1 way mirrors in the stall- you sit on the throne and watch the crowd. People know it so they knock on the window Imagine if the 1 way mirror stuff started to fade

OK - carry on with the open plan stuff.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 PM

730 posts, read 1,026,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I wanted the one with the hair dryer and powder puff but that was something like $2,000 !!
Errr.... hairdryer and powder puff...??????!?? Dare I even ask....?

I must be waaaaaay out of the home-designing loop, LOL

Old 05-30-2014, 02:41 PM

9,744 posts, read 7,027,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are building though many let you make changes to the floor plans. Walls and half walls added or removed (as long as not a structural wall).

A key to look for with less cabinets is a pantry.

I did that to a bathroom that had the toilet separated from sink/tub with a wall/door.
Had that wall/door removed so it was just one room instead. Those separate toilet rooms just feel so claustrophobic.
True enough. And they'd be much harder to navigate should one need to use a wheel chair to get around..

Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM

9,744 posts, read 7,027,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I want my kitchen separate with a service area and an exit to outdoor space. I don't think I would like it to be in the very front of the house.

For one thing, I don't like food smells throughout the house. When I see a truly open floor plan, I always think "These people must not cook cabbage".

And if I was sharing the space, I would definitely need to be able to be away from the tv. My husband, and many of our friends and family, have the tv on whether anyone is watching or not. I like peace. The picture on the tv is just as distracting to me as the sound.
We have one of those "open plan" houses, built that way mainly to maximize the outside views of our tidal canal/river and mangroves , but we find it very convenient. The kitchen is closer to the back of the house ( where the views are), a galley kitchen on one side of the great room separated by a large wrap-around counter- you can't see the kitchen from the entryway due to a partial wall strategically placed. I haven't cooked much cabbage, but it seems that the stove vent and fans work very well for getting rid of the smells and smoke.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:08 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,833,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
What I wonder is: how long will it be before the "OOOh, gotta have an open floor plan" changes to"What were they thinking" and the big thing will be putting walls up. It will happen.
We are already thinking that. One of the floor plans that we are looking at in the new area has a kitchen that is kind of off from the living area but open to the dining area, which is then open in another direction to the living area. Anyway, I can live with the kitchen as it is, but are already thinking that if we do get that floor plan we will probably add a partial wall between the dining and living areas. Not completely closing it off, but at least making it look as though it is divided a bit.

Like someone else also mentioned, we have many beautiful LE prints that we purchased from our visits to Hawaii and with no walls we can't hang them all! It is depressing me to have these stored away because our current home has so many windows. So we are also looking at that fact in the new area.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:29 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Going to build....fire at will. The plan is from scratch and has gone through many revisions. Every time we show the plan folks have input. We usually incorporate some things.................I should also mention this has not gone under the architects knife yet. It will eventually.
OK - the first big problem I have is that although there's a central open area - the walkway between the right and left sides of the house (from NE to SW) pretty much cuts across the living areas. With no defined path. You just kind of have to navigate your way around the living areas to get from one side of the house to the other. It's somewhat easy to deal with this issue in the kitchen/dining area (don't stick with that dining island in the middle of the "walk path" - much harder to do in the living area). Also - a big U kitchen like you're drawn was never fashionable - certainly isn't now.

The master bathroom looks pretty stupid - especially with that toilet sticking out from the right wall.

I don't understand the stairway in the laundry/utility room area. Where does it go? And - in an area like this - there should be more room for cabinets and the like.

If I'm reading the plan correctly - there is a super huge patio area with a pool area quite a distance away from the house. Why? Also - the MBR is *so* far away from both the pool and patio areas. Why put the guest BR and what looks to be a home office on a patio area and not the MBR?

The 2 bedrooms on the left side of the house don't have their own bathrooms - or even a "Jack and Jill" bath. Just a bathroom down the hall. Doesn't work for me.

FWIW - I hate rooms that have all kinds of angles because the house doesn't have hallways.

IMO - this is not a small house. Which means it will cost $$$. It isn't well designed IMO - and wastes/misallocates a lot of space IMO. In my experience - architects aren't especially fabulous in terms of construction stuff - but are really excellent in terms of floor plans. I recommend that you get one to maximize the bang for the buck in the house you'll be building (as well as putting together a great floor plan for you). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement