U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:52 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Try this:

A-MAZ Water Stain Remover | Biodegradable, Non-toxic, Eco-friendly & Safe.

Works. Up to a point. Then you replace the glass. Robyn
Thanks! Sounds good and I'll keep it in mind for when I have glass shower doors again. I'm sure I will, one of these days. In the meantime my shower curtain does a fine job. Hopefully someone else can use the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:13 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There's a difference between being orderly and cleaning floors and toilets and similar.

IOW - get over it. Unless you don't want anyone to know that you're using your toilet for its intended purpose. Robyn
Choosing not to have a maid is not something I intend to get over or need to get over. It's a choice. Besides, It's only me here and I can keep my own house clean.

I had a couple high school kids mow my yard 2 summers. It turned out to be a constant hassle & battle. I decided it wasn't my job to train them. As much as I complain about it, it's easier doing it myself.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I lol every time I read about housekeepers and I lol at myself here.
I would love one myself but I'm the type of person who would clean the house for the housekeeper because I wouldn't want her to think I was messy or sloppy or lazy.
I'm a messy housekeeper, but then if it was all neat I'd feel unconfortable. And most of all I HATE strangers touching my things. She said I didn't have to be there. I said of course I would and would follow this person around to make sure they didn't steal anything. She said she's just straighten the 'knick knacks' and clean. The 'knick knacks' was my alter (I'm wiccan) and some cleaning person would be keeping paws off. I said she wouldn't touch that or my books and added a few other things. I said she wouldn't use anything with bleach, amonia etc. (it was a small apartment and didn't vent well to begin with and I'm allergic to bleach, don't want amonia in my air)

She didn't mention it again.

If ever I need such a person I will follow them and dictate every step because its my space and I don't want someone mucking it up. And I'm one of those people who like the things I'm doing sitting where I do them, which is usually in my favorite chair in the living room. So all my projects sit on the table and will remain. I know someone who can only tolerate white walls since she can tell if they are clean. I don't say she's wrong for her. But why do people think that its okay if you like things where they are useful, even if its 'messy' that you need correcting?

I think its perfectly all right to not want someone redoing the things you have just how you like them. (I did not do well in a multi person home).

Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Choosing not to have a maid is not something I intend to get over or need to get over. It's a choice. Besides, It's only me here and I can keep my own house clean.

I had a couple high school kids mow my yard 2 summers. It turned out to be a constant hassle & battle. I decided it wasn't my job to train them. As much as I complain about it, it's easier doing it myself.
I have a fairly large backyard, but it doesn't grow much. The front has more water and does. Since the house went in my name I pay for it to be mowed. So I bought a push type mower. It works fine in the back. I paid the neighbor to mow the front so it was short enough (and wasn't one of the half on the street with a notice on the curb) and can mow it myself now. The cost of the mower was about three mows by someone else.

Sometimes it pays to get your own and go and get some exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement