U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 7,831,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Our house in FL is semi open; the kitchen isn't seen from the front door and it's on its own off of the family room. Master bedroom/bath on one side of the house with two bedrooms/bath on the opposite side and open space in between. There is natural light from three triple sliders that open onto a screened lanai from the living room, family room and our bedroom with vaulted ceilings adding to the openness. The house gets the most from its position to how the sun rises and sets. I love natural light.

So with that said, I'm back in NY for the summer in a typical old NE house; built to maximize the warmth in the winter with smaller windows and doors on almost every room. There are huge maples that keep the house cool and shady, but there isn't a ton of sunshine coming in. The thing I miss most here is having a window over my kitchen sink. I'm staring at that same wall I've looked at for thirty years, alone with my thoughts again instead of watching how big the lemons are getting on my tree in FL. One window and it's the thing I miss the most, house-wise.
Many years ago, I lived in an apartment without a window over the sink. When visiting a neighbor in the next apartment, I found the solution. I hung a framed picture of the beach over the sink. I installed a curtain rod and hung curtains on either side. Maybe you could put up a pic of a lemon tree?

I live in a two-story cape and as I age, I think I would like an open-plan, all-on-one-floor space. Living alone, I really don't care if the kitchen is in view. Just as long as I don't have to travel too far to get to it.

Entertaining is not something that enters my mind. Two years ago, I gave up hosting my family for Christmas. If they want to stop by for coffee and a bite, they can jolly well look at the disarray.

Umbria, I always hated those gatherings where the "guys" watched the game, (any game, there's always a game) and the "gals" sat in the kitchen and gossiped, like the "guys" thought they should. Go down to the corner tavern and watch the game, just like you're "supposed" to. Or stay in the open-plan with the guys and watch your game while the gals go down to the tavern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:06 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

Umbria, I always hated those gatherings where the "guys" watched the game, (any game, there's always a game) and the "gals" sat in the kitchen and gossiped, like the "guys" thought they should. Go down to the corner tavern and watch the game, just like you're "supposed" to. Or stay in the open-plan with the guys and watch your game while the gals go down to the tavern.

Yes

Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,138,058 times
What I dislike most about the open concept house that I'm in is that the vast majority of people who come to the house enter via the side door in to a sunroom which is about 13 x 21 with doors leading outside on each end. One long wall has lots of windows and the other one has a door that leads into the rest of the house. You pass by a 1/2 bath and a tiny laundry room opposite the bath and then enter the kitchen. You have to walk through the kitchen to get to the dining/living room space. That's the part I really hate. The two bedrooms on the main floor (one is the master) open directly to the dining room and living room space.

I do occasionally daydream about the house I would design if money were no problem. It would not really be open concept.

The other thing I dislike about the lack of wall space is that there was not enough room for all eleven of my bookcases in the house and one got put in the garage for shelving. Also not much room for artwork.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 PM

[quote=zugor;34983104]What I dislike most about the open concept house that I'm in is that the vast majority of people who come to the house enter via the side door in to a sunroom which is about 13 x 21 with doors leading outside on each end. One long wall has lots of windows and the other one has a door that leads into the rest of the house. You pass by a 1/2 bath and a tiny laundry room opposite the bath and then enter the kitchen. You have to walk through the kitchen to get to the dining/living room space. That's the part I really hate. The two bedrooms on the main floor (one is the master) open directly to the dining room and living room space.

I do occasionally daydream about the house I would design if money were no problem. It would not really be open concept.

The other thing I dislike about the lack of wall space is that there was not enough room for all eleven of my bookcases in the house and one got put in the garage for shelving. Also not much room for artwork.[/QUOTE]

Hadn't even thought about art work! No walls - you're right.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 PM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
I always liked our closed in, walled in, cosy New England houses but a while back an older cousin said--all we need is ONE BIG ROOM. She lives in a gorgeous old Cape but all the rooms are very separate and they live in their family room. The LR is a ghost room and so is the dining room.

I think some of it depends upon what age we're speaking of. If you're retiring at age 55, who cares? Anything you want.

But at 65 and 70 you've got to think about all that walking around and maybe having surgery and trouble navigating the doorways and separate rooms. I will agree that I hate being able to see into a messy kitchen. Yet I want the kitchen in ear shot of what they're talking about in the LR or family room. I don't want to be left out just because I'm doing the cooking.

This current little house was previously lived in by a couple and the wife was in a wheelchair. The LR is too tiny but it is wide open to the dining area (which you could make into a bigger LR) and it's open to the kitchen but the kitchen is around the corner so you can't see into it.

The one bedroom is private but the back bedroom/office can be walked through to get to the backyard and deck. It has an extra wide door for a wheelchair. What I would wish for is the one big room--a big LR and then the rest of the house would be fine the way it is. The laundry room/pantry is right off the kitchen and the bathroom is conveniently located. The car gets parked in front of the house with three steps up to the porch to carry groceries in. That could be worse; it's pretty good. All tile floors so no vacuuming except that we added a few rugs for decorative purposes so now I have to vacuum. I'd vote for a bigger front, screened in porch. I don't care for decks and bugs. I want my private space that's almost outside for reading and relaxing. And yes, a window over the sink is mandatory, preferably with Andersen style windows for easy opening. And a window in the bathroom--I've seen too many without windows.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 PM

4,104 posts, read 2,576,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I am also thinking of a situation where you have friends over - the guys are watching the game and the ladies are - where?
At first I did not get why anyone would not want an open floor plan. We have always had very open plans. But the difference comes from above - when company comes over, we don't have a TV on and the guys and ladies are all out in the kitchen together, arguing politics, current events, religion, sports, education, the arts, whatever. It eventually spills over to the dining area. But open plans I think foster more togetherness, which I like.

But to each his/her own and you should go with what you're comfortable with.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Finished basement.
Stairs???

Old 05-27-2014, 11:43 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,557,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Stairs???
Like many people I grew up with two grandmas. One died at age 73 falling off a ladder while she was cleaning something in her house. The other died at age 83 shortly after falling down the stairs to the basement where her laundry was. No. Stairs.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 AM

255 posts, read 233,762 times
It was important to me that the kitchen not be visible from the front door but otherwise I enjoy our open floor plan. If I entertained much I would have opted for a larger den than I have now. Love not having stairs!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
It was important to me that the kitchen not be visible from the front door but otherwise I enjoy our open floor plan. If I entertained much I would have opted for a larger den than I have now. Love not having stairs!
Yes - I wouldn't want the kitchen to be seen from the front door. I saw several where the kitchen was the first thing you saw - not to the side but actually facing the front door. Bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement