U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 PM

241 posts, read 226,988 times

Advertisements

This is called the dollhouse view.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Umbria:

Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought like this. When I mention my "aversion" to the open floor plans, I get looks that basically say "Are you crazy? Get with the times!". When we bought our current home in SC it was the same way. I avoided any floor plans with a totally open plan. If I could see the sink with some dishes soaking in it while sitting in the living area, that plan went out the door along with me. We finally settled on one that has a large opening between the kitchen and living room, which negates the excuse of people saying that they want to be able to talk to their guests, but I can't see the sink or the countertops. Plus I have the wall space on either side of the opening for cabinets. I also threw out galley style kitchens because if hubby is going to be retired he is going to help in the kitchen and I don't want to have to be constantly running into him while cooking.

And you are definitely right about losing cabinet space. We have been kicking around the idea of possibly moving closer to our daughter and went to the area to look at homes this week. The guy at one of the 55+ communities was so excited to tell us about the redesigned kitchen in the models which basically tore out a wall with 4 cabinets on it, tore out an "L" shaped peninsula with 2 cabinets under it, and only gave back 2 smaller cabinets and a narrow set of drawers, along with opening the sink to the living area and removing the only window because he had to move the stove there! He couldn't figure out why I wasn't thrilled. Hello?? Where is all the kitchen storage space? I don't like to cook and would love to eat out all the time so I could get rid of all my pans, etc., but that isn't reality. There was barely enough storage in the old version of the kitchen, much less the new one!
Anyone that removes the only window deserves a slap along side the head.

I realize that this 1) a retirement home 2)I need to change my thinking a bit - and I knew that - but what I saw was so ~~~~~~clearly a $$ savings for builders so someone spent a lot time convincing the public that this new concept is "it".

I can see a cabin or a beach cottage where all convention goes out the window. But I hear people say "This is my dream home" - huh?

People in my neighborhood are all busy ripping out walls and it pays. A house not far did that and added the mandatory granite counter tops and sold a previous $300,000 for $450,000. It still only has the single car garage and for MN that usually is a very bad thing.

I really wanted to ask the builder, who was there, what that house in NC really cost him to build - but I knew he either wouldn't tell me or he would lie.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 PM

241 posts, read 226,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
When I did my big remodel and had the house rewired, I had some electrical outlets put in the middle of the floor in two of the large rooms. I don't use them but I thought they could be useful in the future.
We are doing hardwood and have seen some with flush mounted wood covers, they look good.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:04 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,562,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
My neighbors in WI just furnished a house with garage floor same level as house. I will ask him this weekend how he got it past the code guy.
That must be regional code. I don't think I've ever been in a house in Arizona with an integral garage on a different level from the house. Every garage I've been in here that is attached to the house has a door that opens directly into a hallway or foyer (which is what mine does), the kitchen, or a laundry room. Lots of people here have freezers and/or pantry cabinets in their laundry rooms so items brought in by car can be stored away immediately without dragging shopping bags through the house. I've been in several homes in Southern California that share that design feature. We have no steps to travail between garage and house.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:39 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,476,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Might be getting odd to some of you but I live 20 minutes from the Mexican border and alone in the country as I've mentioned previously in this forum. Twice in my life someone his tried to kick the door in, in the middle of the night. Last year, there was an officer involved shooting: shotgun blast, 11 handgun shots, in front of my home. There have been other threatening events.
You live in an EXTREMELY high crime area. In your region that must take precedence in your home plans, I agree.

In this area, keys are left in vehicles. All winter long most vehicles are left running while folks are in stores shopping. Very few homes are ever locked. It is an entirely different lifestyle.

Quote:
... And ANYONE who thinks the cops are going to help when you have seconds is just not realistic.
I certainly agree. We have so few officers that same-day response is not expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
... One thing I didn't notice or pay attention to - electrical outlets. I assume they are on the floor but are they next to the few walls that exist and others on the floor? How do they determine where on the floor?

Curiouser and curiouser~~~~
We have a few outlets in the floor. My Dw has a large desk, so there are outlets for her [plus Cat-5]. I have a desk so I have outlets and cat-5. We have a Jacuzzi so it has an outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
... The idea of a formal dining room is an old one. There is nothing wrong with having one if you really want one, but most families don't sit down to big family dinners anymore. In some instances, it is a waste of perfectly good space that you could be USING for living in. Ditto for formal living rooms. I remember when most families didn't allow family members to use the living room because it was reserved just for company! The concept of a great room addresses these issues and ensures that you are using all of the space in your home.

To me, an open kitchen is ideal because I can interact with guests while I cook and not feel that I'm missing out on anything. When it is time to eat, I will just lengthen the table in the dining area of the open floor plan and voila! It's an instant dinner party.
We host a few events, so we like having a large table to sit around. I made it many duty stations ago out of a full sheet of 3/4" plywood, so it is very firm and stable.

We raise our own poultry and pork, I butcher outside and my Dw does all her own meat cutting. The table is handy as it is large enough to hold both sides of a 500 pound pork carcass, while she works it over getting all of the appropriate cuts.

We produce, dehydrate and jar herbs. A large kitchen and table come in handy.

My Dw has canning get-togethers with friends over and they spend the day canning stuff.

For us, it works well with our lifestyle.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,476,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think one issue you bring up is the issue of your lot. What's on the sides - and what's in the back. We bought a relatively narrow but very deep lot. The houses next door are perhaps 20 feet away - but our rear yard goes on forever (like hundreds of feet). When we designed our house - with an architect - we wound up with almost zero windows on the sides - but tons in the rear. IOW - close to neighbors - but very private.

FWIW - our architect sited our house perfectly so we are honestly not aware of the houses next to us unless we're walking around the house outside. Architects are underused and under appreciated these days IMO. Robyn
You do bring up a good point about architects, they can make a huge difference.

Our nearest neighbor is a long distance away. We have over 1/4 mile in every direction from our house, to simply reach the borders of our property. It is all dense forest. None of our neighbors can beyond their own properties, and we can not see far enough to see off of our property.

Homes might only be 1/2 mile apart, but it gives you the sense that each home is totally isolated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
In all honesty - unless it's a matter of finances - like you can't afford to live anywhere else in the US - ...

Is where you live the absolute cheapest place to live in the US - and the safest when it comes to a cheap place as well? I tend to doubt it. But I could be wrong. Robyn
There are cheaper places to live.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM

1,926 posts, read 992,155 times
I like the no doors, no guest room house. I rarely close my doors and they do take up space.

I must be very old fashioned. I use to love having people over for dinner but I had dinner ready when my guests arrived. I could make gravy and put a pan of bread in the oven while everyone was getting seated and getting drinks sorted out. I never felt isolated. And LOL about guests seeing you drop something on the floor, or, my mother's pet peeve, licking your fingers. Of course, this thread is about retirement and I admit that I don't move as fast as I once did, but neither do I give dinner parties anymore.

Also, like someone else said, I think of the kitchen as personal space. I am more likely to run you out than to want to visit with you while I'm cooking. People that I invite into the kitchen are generally close friends or family.

I do like my big kitchen and the fact that when you come in the front door, you can see through the kitchen and out the back door to the garden. That view and no steps were the two features I liked immediately.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM

30,141 posts, read 47,370,265 times
We bought home about 5 yrs ago as empty nesters that is larger than house we lived in for 20+ yrs raising our kids--
it has open floor plan and other items we thought we wanted--
some of them we were right about--we are glad to have two bedrooms downstairs -- both with attached baths--
and it is nice to have a second floor for our daughter and other friends/relatives who want some privacy themselves...
but the dedicated study my husband wanted has been more of a storage room for his bookkeeping vs working there now that he has a laptop and works at kitchen table so he can see the tv in the LA...

our open kitchen has a raised counter/bar with the sink in center of dishwasher on left and stack of drawers on right--
the top is raised high enough that the sink is blocked from view from the LA which is good when dishes are in the sink
but it does make extra noise when I am running water -- I notice my husband will immediately raise the volume on the tv when I start to clean up after dinner ...

We don't entertain as much now as when we lived in the other house which had a closed kitchen and didn't have direct access to backyard for grilling...but this layout works well when we do have company--
there is a second counter/island w/ prep sink that works as a serving bar or just big prep area for two cooks
and there is huge pantry--a Mormon family type pantry--even though it is just two of us...

Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 PM

30,141 posts, read 47,370,265 times
We also recently bought a second/vacation home in FL south of Sarasota that is right next to our daughter--lucky buy--

the previous owners remodeled the original 70s kitchen and took down wall of upper cabinets to open up the LA/Dining/kitchen area--
believe me it made a world of difference in what otherwise would have been a claustrophobic galley kitchen--BUT it cost them most of their storage...
there was not even a pantry in the kitchen--
after we bought the house we ordered a wood kitchen pantry from unfinished furniture store nearby and had it painted to match the walls--it sits just around the corner of the refrigerator in area that is too small to be really used for anything else but it is just perfect for storing still like chips and canned goods for the two of us...definitely better than the hall closet the sellers were using...

Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 PM

20,182 posts, read 11,183,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
My neighbors in WI just furnished a house with garage floor same level as house. I will ask him this weekend how he got it past the code guy.
Is the point to have the garage with a lower floor so that carbon monoxide (which is heavier than air) doesn't rise into the house?

It's not a national code requirement to have the garage floor at a different (I'm presuming, lower) level than the house. It is a code requirement that the garage be fireblocked from the house and that the door between the two is self-closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement