U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM

16,334 posts, read 10,324,206 times

Advertisements

or an Amish horse and buggy?

a farmer hauling a load of hay behind a tractor?

a deer running across the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,954,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
It would be fantastic if it not only drove itself but if it came when you whistled. That way I could have it pick me up at the front of the store when I was done shopping.
Well, not with a whistle, but with a phone, sure. You'll get free valet parking everywhere you go! And no more paying excessive fees just to park close to some event. Your car will be able to park itself some distance away if necessary.

I realize these cars make many people nervous. But honestly, many of the human drivers I see on the road today make me plenty nervous already. Self-driving cars don't need to be perfect... just clearly better (safer) than humans.

hikernut

Old 05-28-2014, 04:00 PM

147 posts, read 205,962 times
Seems like a great idea to have these cars available. I want one now.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM

241 posts, read 226,653 times
Seems to me like technology would response to many of these situations as well or better than most humans. it may not be totally ready for prime time yet but I think it is inevitable.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:03 PM

16,334 posts, read 10,324,206 times
let's think about it tho'. If they became the norm there'd be no need for car insurance. Wonder if the auto insurance companies would allow it.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,284,055 times
I think it would be great for seniors who shouldn't be driving anymore (due to slower response time, fading vision, forgetting basic rules of the road, etc.). It would also be extremely freeing for blind people, I'd imagine. How wonderful it would be to plug in where you want to go and be taken directly there, rather than having to try to navigate sidewalks, streets, buses, trains, etc.

I imagine that Google has planned for cases like jaywalking, animals in the road, etc. They'd have a huge failure on their hands if the cars couldn't recognize pedestrians, animals, bicyclists, buggies, etc.

EDIT: As to cost, I think these self-driving cars would eventually take the place of taxis. You could order one up, it would be sent to your house, and you could hop in and tell it where to go. There could be a credit-card slide right inside for you to use, or a built-in cash machine, etc. Depending on overhead, the cost to use one could be more expensive than a bus, but less expensive than a normal taxi.

Retirement communities could purchase a few for all their residents to use, and same with other organizations (like for those with physical disabilities or developmental disabilities). It would be easy for someone to use the car to go someplace, send the car back to its "home" spot to be used by someone else, and then have the car show up later in the afternoon to pick the first person back up. They could probably incorporate a calendar/time system into the car (so people know when the car is already scheduled to be in use), or an administrator could keep track of where the car needs to be, and when.

EDIT2: To tack onto what I said above - families probably could just use one car now, instead of two or three (since it could be programmed to be sent to one person's work, then the next person's, then school, or whatever). And the cars could be electric much easier, since you could potentially send it off to an electrical charging station while you're at work or in the grocery store, and it could show back up to where it dropped you off, in order to pick you up.

The rate of accidents would probably go far down.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 05-28-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 PM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
seems like too many variables to trust to a machine.
Not the vehicle for those that distrust machines, in general, they'd have a worried look at their faces for the whole journey. Me? I don't even trust my rear-view mirror!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 AM

649 posts, read 553,719 times
I was fortunate to rent 2 different vehicles on my recent European trip. One a Mercedes and the other a Volvo. The safety features and driving aids in these 2 cars was astounding.

Both of them had adaptive cruise control, you set the speed and the distance to maintain to any object in front and the car would do just that. Slow down to adjust speed to match, stop if necessary and speed up to maintain distance.

Camera's around the car, radar around the car to show how close you were to any object. Blind spot warning lights, if a vehicle was in your blind spot, it lit up an indicator on the mirrors to signify which side it was on.

Front and rear parking assist. Lane departure alarms, if you started to cross either line in your lane without a turn signal, it would set off the alarm, first was a small chime, then a louder chime, then a sharp, high volume alarm with a vibration of the seat. I presume this was for falling asleep at the wheel.

Both of these vehicles where diesel engined and it would shut off the engine at a stop light and start up again instantly as soon as you removed your foot off the brake.

Thermal night vision on the navigation systems to allow you to see objects in the road beyond the reach of your headlights.

So, these cars aren't, in my opinion, just a fad, these cars are the future of motorized transport.

We rely on computers and the microchip to do so many things for us now, why not cars?

Space travel, air travel, cars, medical tests, pacemakers all rely on computers.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,615,101 times
Meh... they would be useless in my area, since they max out at 25mph.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM

35,423 posts, read 10,475,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Google has announce they are producing 100 to 200 self driving cars without steering wheels, brakes or gas pedals.

.... it could be a real boon for elderly folks now dependent upon public transportation.

It could also be a real boon for young people who won't have to bother keeping their eyes on the road while texting, surfing the web, posting on Facebook, Instagram, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or