U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:00 PM

720 posts, read 1,484,895 times

Advertisements

We love the Gettysburg area and camp there almost every year. Beautiful country, nice people, lots going on. We saw some attractive parks for manufactured homes. If only it didn't have such cold winters.....enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 PM

30,081 posts, read 47,320,143 times
We have friends who have lived in various area of US from Louisiana westward--
They were living in Houston when the guy retired and wife was working for company where she traveled to Washington state quite often--
they had lived in Alaska, Denver together and before their marriage he had lived in Phoenix--
she had married son in San Diego but cost of living is high there--
they chose to move to Spokane WA area--
she said they liked the seasons but the weather wasn't too cold and it wasn't as rainy as Seattle...

I would suggest you try Arkansas--
from what I have read it has a low cost of living --
check out Ft Smith--that area is seeing lot of growth but still has historical aspect

Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Yes, it is a big shift from California... I have endured the summer heat for over 30 years, and I am a native California resident. I can't afford cooler areas. ..

I'm looking for lower cost of living; not as many over 90 degree temp days. I was open to anywhere in the U.S. I am not a big city type, ...no preconceived notion of where that is other than not in a desert
Consider the PNW. Very cool summer nights, few days over 90, some areas quite low CoL (I get buy on $100 Util and $100 food / month). Needlepoint / sewing crafts... I am in a little WA town (home of a Pendleton Woolen Mill factory) Fabric arts are huge in Portland area. and we have weekly craft groups that get together. And many craft markets / outlets. If I need sun in winter, I can Jet to San Diego for as little as $19.90 each way. (More common is $38. or $59 to Bay Area). I can be to the airport in 20 min, and there is a city bus that can take me to Portland or Vancouver. Great senior activities.

The Messenger Home | City of Vancouver Washington

I do like PA a lot, and visit there for house swapping. I prefer visiting to living, due to harsh summer (humidity) and winter.

When I survey an area, I always stay in Guest Hospitality homes ($10/ worldwide) been doing it for 25+ yrs) You get to know the locals. Always visit meetings of interest groups. I also go to hardware stores, lumberyards, fix-it shop, barbershops... wherever I can strike up a conversation (Often in Grocery)

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Consider the PNW. Very cool summer nights, few days over 90, some areas quite low CoL (I get buy on $100 Util and $100 food / month). Needlepoint / sewing crafts... I am in a little WA town (home of a Pendleton Woolen Mill factory) Fabric arts are huge in Portland area. and we have weekly craft groups that get together. And many craft markets / outlets. If I need sun in winter, I can Jet to San Diego for as little as $19.90 each way. (More common is $38. or $59 to Bay Area). I can be to the airport in 20 min, and there is a city bus that can take me to Portland or Vancouver. Great senior activities.

The Messenger Home | City of Vancouver Washington

I do like PA a lot, and visit there for house swapping. I prefer visiting to living, due to harsh summer (humidity) and winter.

When I survey an area, I always stay in Guest Hospitality homes ($10/ worldwide) been doing it for 25+ yrs) You get to know the locals. Always visit meetings of interest groups. I also go to hardware stores, lumberyards, fix-it shop, barbershops... wherever I can strike up a conversation (Often in Grocery)
I would be worried about screening out weirdoes if I were to offer my home to a stranger for $10 per night. Especially in light of what I read here on City-Data I would worry big time about weirdoes. Have you ever suggested to a City-Data poster that they should have you stay with them for $10? Any suggestions for telling the weirdoes from the legitimate?

Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 AM

75 posts, read 132,611 times
Default Looking for a New place to Retire

Hi
I am looking to retire soon, I have live in California most of my life. We move to North Idaho in the 90
We live there nine years, the winter were long and cold and snowy, so then we move to Portland Oregon
live there foe 3 years. it rained 47in where we lived. so we ended back I Southern California. now I been
looking at Durham North Carolina. but don't know if I will like the Humid summers. I not sure where to retire. I just tired of California. it so expensive here. and always hot. I miss the beauty of the northwest.
so I hope I will fine my new home.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Oh my... I've read on this forum for a long time, and am usually pretty quiet and read more than respond.

I just made reservations to go check out Pennsylvania as a retirement area ! Yes, I know it snows there and some would want to move away when they retire; however I had a consultation with a person who does personal relocation advising... I'm nervous, but excited !

How much time have you given yourself? That is a huge question. The longer you do the more your mind will change as you get opinions and form opinions. Looking at areas is a fun time though. You get to see new things and it is exciting. You need to spend time there in the deep of the winter before you make your final decision though. Spend at least a month or two. A good place to get homes to rent is Home Away. There are others but I have had great luck with this one.

Either way though there are a great number of people here that will put there two cents in. You can also go to the city/state part of C-D and ask questions there too of the areas you are interested in. There are a great number of wonderful people here.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
I would like to know this advisor's rationale for suggesting PA. OP, can you give us your retirement utopia criteria? What would your ideal retirement location have to have to make it perfect for you?

There are so many individual variables for every person. It's a really big country with so many different climates, so many different lifestyles, hobbies, interests, political climates, etc. Friends and family were shocked when we selected TN for our retirement relocation from CA. We started with very specific climatic requirements, our interests, preferences, and financial considerations (home costs, taxes, etc), and then factored in things like medical care options, ease of entry into local community, opportunities for local recreation, and ease of travel options. Then we visited several areas, in a few states, and when we visited we basically pretended to live there i.e. visit stores, go to restaurants, theaters, local parks, church, local events, etc, just as we would if we lived there (not like tourists) while trying to imagine that we are doing these things day in and out, to "try it on for size".

I hope your trip is a good one, but I'm curious why they suggested PA for you.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 AM

480 posts, read 506,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

I hope your trip is a good one, but I'm curious why they suggested PA for you.
As someone who lived in Pennsylvania for 22 years, I'm curious as well. I strongly suggest you visit in the winter. I don't see how any place that gets snow could be a good place to choose to retire in. Have you driven in ice or snow? Or tried to navigate an icy sidewalk? It's even worse when you're in your 80's.

I also thought the tax burden was pretty high.

But the only way to know is to go visit and check it out yourself! Good luck!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 AM

255 posts, read 233,576 times
I'd certainly check PA out during the winter months. Have you considered OR or WA? Much milder temperatures. Good luck

Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,489,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
As someone who lived in Pennsylvania for 22 years, I'm curious as well. I strongly suggest you visit in the winter. I don't see how any place that gets snow could be a good place to choose to retire in. Have you driven in ice or snow? Or tried to navigate an icy sidewalk? It's even worse when you're in your 80's.

I also thought the tax burden was pretty high.

But the only way to know is to go visit and check it out yourself! Good luck!
The OP is from California so pretty much anywhere is going to have a lower tax burden.
And if they rent they can always leave after a year if they find they don't like the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement