U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM
 
1,974 posts, read 2,722,569 times
Reputation: 3492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Oh my... I've read on this forum for a long time, and am usually pretty quiet and read more than respond.

I just made reservations to go check out Pennsylvania as a retirement area ! Yes, I know it snows there and some would want to move away when they retire; however I had a consultation with a person who does personal relocation advising... I'm nervous, but excited !
Just a very few years ago, I was thinking of moving to Pittsburgh, PA. (I'm a long-time Southern CA gal even though I don't live there now.) I got on the Pittsburgh board on C-D, and I stayed there for 6 months or so. And I loved the posters. They were so helpful. However, in the end, I decided against it, because: (1) the winters -- and trying to navigate in the winter as I grow older; and (2) people are different in PA from those in CA. Very different. Not better or worse. Just very different from Southern CA people. And at my age I decided I didn't want to spend the years trying to adapt to a much different climate and a different culture. SO -- I'm moving back to Southern CA, from NM. Yes, I know how expensive it is. No, I'm not rich (but I'm not exactly poor either). Anyway, as the kids say, "I'm just saying": spend some time in your city of choice in PA before you decide to move there, hook, line and sinker. I REALLY wish I had spent 6-12 months in NM before deciding to just pack up and move here, after having spent just one week here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Virginia
95 posts, read 201,997 times
Reputation: 52
Wow, I didn't check this post for about 24 hours, and I'm so glad to see so many posts. I appreciate all of them, the positives ones especially and the not so positive ones as well for the balancing of the good and bad.

I have considered the Pacific Northwest and went there in December/January. I have been to Ohio and PA before (to visit) so I appreciate visiting is very different than living somewhere.

I could write a long winded and detailed post about why I went to someone who doesn't know me and what factors were used to determine where I should look; but in trying to get an unbiased opinion about what would be good for me and how would I like it, information was given to me that make me want to at least go look.. I am concerned about the cost of living, it was also suggested 3 areas in Virginia too; and those areas seem out of my reality of budget and affordability for me.

It is appreciated that someone is asking me about what will I do as I get older and age, and for both household or health emergencies... and without revealing a lot of personal info, I had to call a professional a/c repair to find out my a/c unit had caught fire and needed replacing when a very closely related to me person was too busy to come look at my a/c.

Yes, I realize I am older, I realize I am looking far from everyone I know... but I have not found any long lasting or tightly bonded relations or friendships in Calif.... so whether I'm 800 miles from "home" or 2,200 miles from "home"... home is something I need to find for me, and not to please those I know... it has taken me over 60 years to feel this way... but I'm also not trying to make a foolish move.

I have read many posts, and followed and read every post on the women retiring alone and moving thread.... and I really do appreciate both positive and not so positive comments, as it does make me think and that's what I posted here for, is to get opinions and thoughts, and suggestion and feelings... I just want a place that I feel happy being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,697 posts, read 2,546,087 times
Reputation: 9139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When I went scouting one thing I did was go into the local supermarket and just look around at who was shopping there.

I did a lot of people watching.
I've done that before. We were in the Sonoma Wine Country and went to the Raleys store in Windsor and were immediately turned off by the shoppers (daytime). After that we drove around Windsor and noticed many ADT security signs. Scratched that town off the list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,697 posts, read 2,546,087 times
Reputation: 9139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And we all know that taxes never go down. If taxes have to enter the picture in your retirement planning then that comes across to me that one is not wealthy enough to be able to afford to absorb rising taxes in their future, especially if the taxes rise more than your retirement income.
Actually, property taxes have gone down here in California each time there has been a real estate bubble that burst. It's not done automatically, but if you can demonstrate a significant decrease in your home's real estate value to your county assessor's real property division, then your taxes will be lowered, sometimes dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 PM
 
1,974 posts, read 2,722,569 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
I just want a place that I feel happy being.
I do think that, definitely, we are more comfortable in one place rather than another place. But happiness is always an 'inside job'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,872 posts, read 13,552,358 times
Reputation: 29033
I moved from Pittsburgh to Southern Arizona and my total utility costs in AZ are significantly cheaper. You might not need AC in Harrisburg that much (although it can often be humid in the summer), but you'll need a furnace running a good many weeks a year. Having lived in Metro DC, too, I also found Virginia to be especially hot and humid in the summer. You will certainly find the cost of real estate to be a lot cheaper in Harrisburg than in Southern California, but if utility costs are a concern, beware of old houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 03:51 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Reputation: 16156
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Wow, I didn't check this post for about 24 hours, and I'm so glad to see so many posts. I appreciate all of them, the positives ones especially and the not so positive ones as well for the balancing of the good and bad.

I have considered the Pacific Northwest and went there in December/January. I have been to Ohio and PA before (to visit) so I appreciate visiting is very different than living somewhere.

I could write a long winded and detailed post about why I went to someone who doesn't know me and what factors were used to determine where I should look; but in trying to get an unbiased opinion about what would be good for me and how would I like it, information was given to me that make me want to at least go look.. I am concerned about the cost of living, it was also suggested 3 areas in Virginia too; and those areas seem out of my reality of budget and affordability for me.

It is appreciated that someone is asking me about what will I do as I get older and age, and for both household or health emergencies... and without revealing a lot of personal info, I had to call a professional a/c repair to find out my a/c unit had caught fire and needed replacing when a very closely related to me person was too busy to come look at my a/c.

Yes, I realize I am older, I realize I am looking far from everyone I know... but I have not found any long lasting or tightly bonded relations or friendships in Calif.... so whether I'm 800 miles from "home" or 2,200 miles from "home"... home is something I need to find for me, and not to please those I know... it has taken me over 60 years to feel this way... but I'm also not trying to make a foolish move.

I have read many posts, and followed and read every post on the women retiring alone and moving thread.... and I really do appreciate both positive and not so positive comments, as it does make me think and that's what I posted here for, is to get opinions and thoughts, and suggestion and feelings... I just want a place that I feel happy being.
You are a very brave woman, I am considering a move to Tennessee (7 hours away) and it scares the crap out of me. And you appear to be possibly doing this alone if I can read between the lines. A 3,000 mile move is different psychologically and physically than a 400 mile move. But it's clear CA holds nothing for you so I never questioned the idea of moving, just the final location. Again nothing wrong with PA but it's cold for sure.

Since we are also considering VA where may I ask were the other suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 04:58 AM
 
38,176 posts, read 14,918,071 times
Reputation: 24615
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Yes, it is a big shift from California... I have endured the summer heat for over 30 years, and I am a native California resident. I can't afford cooler areas. I'm tired of more than 190 days of over 90 degree heat, I had the honor of paying (last August) over $400 to "cool" my house to 80 degrees INDOORS where i'm still hot and sweaty...

I had a consultation with someone who does relocation advising and it was suggested I look in Harrisburg PA or Charlottesville or Richmond, VA... the latter 2 seem a little more expensive than I can afford. I have vacation in PA before so am looking there first.

I'm looking for lower cost of living; not as many over 90 degree temp days. I was open to anywhere in the U.S. I am not a big city type, or high maintenance with shopping or entertainment; I enjoy being home and working on needlecraft. I plan to be retired so just wherever feels right to me; no preconceived notion of where that is other than not in a desert
Since you enjoy needlecraft, you may want to keep an eye out for areas where many people do your type of needlecraft. A friend of mine does needle felting and yearns to go to fiber craft gatherings. I think one is in Paducah, KY. But there are others. She lives in an area where she has to order all her supplies over the internet and the only other person that does needle felting is a friend that she has taught.

The area around Asheville, NC has cooler summers and mild winters. Lots of handmade items in that area as well.

Eastern TN is beautiful, affordable, and as you get more in the Smokey/Blue Ridge mountain areas has cooler summers.

How fun that you plan to work with a relocation advisor. Please keep us informed of how it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 05:42 AM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,491,597 times
Reputation: 2170
I'd go to the grocery store and check on prices. I've found that groceries in the northeast and midwest are a lot more expensive than they are in socal and arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Reputation: 16156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I'd go to the grocery store and check on prices. I've found that groceries in the northeast and midwest are a lot more expensive than they are in socal and arizona.
I did that when I went from our home in Maryland to our possible future home in eastern Tennessee. I was stunned at just how close the prices were. Now housing and property tax, that's another story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top