U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 AM

56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I moved from Pittsburgh to Southern Arizona and my total utility costs in AZ are significantly cheaper. You might not need AC in Harrisburg that much (although it can often be humid in the summer), but you'll need a furnace running a good many weeks a year. Having lived in Metro DC, too, I also found Virginia to be especially hot and humid in the summer. You will certainly find the cost of real estate to be a lot cheaper in Harrisburg than in Southern California, but if utility costs are a concern, beware of old houses.
Utilities make up about 7% or so of costs versus about 30% of costs being related to housing. So, it is key to think about how much certain things cost in terms of percentages too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 AM

30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times
Several years ago when we lived in our former neighborhood in TX--there was older couple selling a house and I asked her where they were going--
they were moving to the Blue Ridge Mts--not higher elevations where there is good bit of snow in winter--
but just far enough to get reduced humidity--
her husband was someone who had problems breathing in the heavy humidity of DFW in summer (and it is)
not sure if they had family there or not but they weren't moving to be close to family I thought

Personally I am not used to seeing wide vistas cloaked with tall trees---
I get claustrophobic in some situations like that--
found the Muir National Redwood Forrest outside SF lovely but wouldn't want to live in that enclosed type of space so I don't think that I would enjoy living in areas where you can't see the horizon easily or enough of the sky...

Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM

38,304 posts, read 14,974,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Several years ago when we lived in our former neighborhood in TX--there was older couple selling a house and I asked her where they were going--
they were moving to the Blue Ridge Mts--not higher elevations where there is good bit of snow in winter--
but just far enough to get reduced humidity--
her husband was someone who had problems breathing in the heavy humidity of DFW in summer (and it is)
not sure if they had family there or not but they weren't moving to be close to family I thought

Personally I am not used to seeing wide vistas cloaked with tall trees---
I get claustrophobic in some situations like that--
found the Muir National Redwood Forrest outside SF lovely but wouldn't want to live in that enclosed type of space so I don't think that I would enjoy living in areas where you can't see the horizon easily or enough of the sky...
I think many who had breathing problems used to move to the Blue Ridge mountain area. It's really lovely.

I love mountains and trees. We have been in the Raleigh/Durham area. We love our neighbors and our home, but I feel so squeezed in and we get tired of driving on freeways. It's so busy around here. Just going to the grocery store is "off to the races."

Think I will look for a little slower pace of life in a climate with cooler summers.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 AM

95 posts, read 202,152 times
Thank you everyone for the wonderful conversation. The ideas and viewpoints are really helpful; and I've also been viewing a map to find out where the other places that are suggested are in relation to Harrisburg.

To DaveMtAiry (I think that was the poster) who asked about what areas in Virginia I was given and they are Cumberland, Richmond and Charlottesville.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 24,021,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I moved from Pittsburgh to Southern Arizona and my total utility costs in AZ are significantly cheaper. You might not need AC in Harrisburg that much (although it can often be humid in the summer), but you'll need a furnace running a good many weeks a year. Having lived in Metro DC, too, I also found Virginia to be especially hot and humid in the summer. You will certainly find the cost of real estate to be a lot cheaper in Harrisburg than in Southern California, but if utility costs are a concern, beware of old houses.
Except for water and sewer which are much higher in Tucson. I am still trying to understand the sewer bill from the city of Tucson.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:29 PM

82 posts, read 97,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Wow, I didn't check this post for about 24 hours, and I'm so glad to see so many posts. I appreciate all of them, the positives ones especially and the not so positive ones as well for the balancing of the good and bad.

I have considered the Pacific Northwest and went there in December/January. I have been to Ohio and PA before (to visit) so I appreciate visiting is very different than living somewhere.

I could write a long winded and detailed post about why I went to someone who doesn't know me and what factors were used to determine where I should look; but in trying to get an unbiased opinion about what would be good for me and how would I like it, information was given to me that make me want to at least go look.. I am concerned about the cost of living, it was also suggested 3 areas in Virginia too; and those areas seem out of my reality of budget and affordability for me.

It is appreciated that someone is asking me about what will I do as I get older and age, and for both household or health emergencies... and without revealing a lot of personal info, I had to call a professional a/c repair to find out my a/c unit had caught fire and needed replacing when a very closely related to me person was too busy to come look at my a/c.

Yes, I realize I am older, I realize I am looking far from everyone I know... but I have not found any long lasting or tightly bonded relations or friendships in Calif.... so whether I'm 800 miles from "home" or 2,200 miles from "home"... home is something I need to find for me, and not to please those I know... it has taken me over 60 years to feel this way... but I'm also not trying to make a foolish move.

I have read many posts, and followed and read every post on the women retiring alone and moving thread.... and I really do appreciate both positive and not so positive comments, as it does make me think and that's what I posted here for, is to get opinions and thoughts, and suggestion and feelings... I just want a place that I feel happy being.
--------------------------------------
We are also older, recently retired and looking to relocate to PA ((Philly area or suburbs) from LI. Cost of living is lower than Long Island (tax madness!), retirement income is taxed more favorably, and as far as weather, we know that in most major NE cities the snow gets taken care of pretty quickly. Manhattan and Philly had plenty of snow this past winter, but you can still get around pretty quickly after an average snowfall. Good public transit helps, too.
You also can't generalize about all of PA no more than you can generalize about CA. Philly offers everthing you would want culturally, transportation wise and medically. I understand Pittsburgh and Harrisburg do as well.
PA is not all snow and freezing weather. Of course the Pocono Mountain area will get worse weather in the winter, but that's why it's also popular as a ski area. Check out the Philly and PA forums for insight from the locals.
We also understand your reality check about depending on or living near family. In this highly mobile society, there are job transfers, etc., that can change the scenario very quickly. Are you going to move to follow your support network? While some people are fortunate enough to have dependable relatives nearby, as the OP noted you can't assume a person will be there when needed just because they're a relative.
You sound like an interesting, adventuresome person with a positive outlook. I'm sure you'd quickly build your own network of good, dependable friends wherever you go. I know an 81 yr old grandma who moved from NY to FL 10 years ago and has a more active social life and greater network of dependable friends than her kids in NY!
We can't live life worrying about every little "what if" - you'd never take a chance and might miss out on some wonderful adventures. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
You seem practical and intelligent enough to do your homework, give it a decent try, then decide. Best of luck and please keep posting as you embark on this exciting venture.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:33 AM

10,484 posts, read 5,944,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think many who had breathing problems used to move to the Blue Ridge mountain area. It's really lovely.

I love mountains and trees. We have been in the Raleigh/Durham area. We love our neighbors and our home, but I feel so squeezed in and we get tired of driving on freeways. It's so busy around here. Just going to the grocery store is "off to the races."

Think I will look for a little slower pace of life in a climate with cooler summers.
Boone? Asheville?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:05 AM

1,612 posts, read 1,317,837 times
Default We recently retired to Asheville

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

We take the Blue Ridge Parkway as a short cut to the Fresh Market (grocery store). Can't get anymore laid back than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement