U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM

95 posts, read 201,997 times

Advertisements

Oh my... I've read on this forum for a long time, and am usually pretty quiet and read more than respond.

I just made reservations to go check out Pennsylvania as a retirement area ! Yes, I know it snows there and some would want to move away when they retire; however I had a consultation with a person who does personal relocation advising... I'm nervous, but excited !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,047 times
Oh cool. Can you send me a private message letting me know who does personal relation advising? Thank you.

Best wishes on your trip to discover your future.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:20 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Have fun..observe everything.

When I went scouting one thing I did was go into the local supermarket and just look around at who was shopping there.
I did a lot of people watching.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Oh my... I've read on this forum for a long time, and am usually pretty quiet and read more than respond.

I just made reservations to go check out Pennsylvania as a retirement area ! Yes, I know it snows there and some would want to move away when they retire; however I had a consultation with a person who does personal relocation advising... I'm nervous, but excited !
Before moving permanently :I suggest a longer stay because its like vactioing some where. Much different to live in thre than vacation .Good luck.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:45 PM

Great idea to check out the supermarket.

To texdav, yes I realize a short visit won't let me know if I'll like living there; I have visited PA before, this was an area suggested to me, so now I'm going to visit and drive to various areas I think I'd like to live. I'm looking for a lower cost of living and probably only renting. I'm not opposed to mobile home living if that's more affordable.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 PM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
I just made reservations to go check out Pennsylvania as a retirement area !
That's a VERY big shift from CA... any reason why?

Which part PA?
Near one of the cities or out in the boonies?
What are you looking for or just hoping to find?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM

Yes, it is a big shift from California... I have endured the summer heat for over 30 years, and I am a native California resident. I can't afford cooler areas. I'm tired of more than 190 days of over 90 degree heat, I had the honor of paying (last August) over $400 to "cool" my house to 80 degrees INDOORS where i'm still hot and sweaty...

I had a consultation with someone who does relocation advising and it was suggested I look in Harrisburg PA or Charlottesville or Richmond, VA... the latter 2 seem a little more expensive than I can afford. I have vacation in PA before so am looking there first.

I'm looking for lower cost of living; not as many over 90 degree temp days. I was open to anywhere in the U.S. I am not a big city type, or high maintenance with shopping or entertainment; I enjoy being home and working on needlecraft. I plan to be retired so just wherever feels right to me; no preconceived notion of where that is other than not in a desert

Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Quote:
Great idea to check out the supermarket.

To texdav, yes I realize a short visit won't let me know if I'll like living there; I have visited PA before, this was an area suggested to me, so now I'm going to visit and drive to various areas I think I'd like to live. I'm looking for a lower cost of living and probably only renting. I'm not opposed to mobile home living if that's more affordable.
Glad to see you have kept many options open.
Another thing is to trust your "gut feeling".
And renting will give you the option of extended exploring to find the "real spot".

My job moved me from FL to TX.
I rented for a year and spent the weekends driving around. Kept going back to the communities I liked and eventually settled in one and was very happy for 15+ years there.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,083,611 times
We went through the same process last year, and had a blast. In our case we had narrowed our search down to north Idaho or a few places in Montana. Like the OP, we were looking for a big change from CA. Just for starters, even after living in California for 35+ years I still miss having the four real seasons that I enjoyed in my childhood.

We found that the best insight came from chance encounters with locals, so I'd suggest you seek out opportunities to make that happen. Whenever the schedules worked out we went to farmers markets and local "music the park" type events, and found those to be great places to interact with people and learn more about the community.

We also choose to stay in B&B's on our trip, and that gave us some great opportunities to meet and interact with locals, both the inn keepers as well as other guests. B&B's aren't always my first choice of a place to stay, but on this trip it was worthwhile.

We did a lot of supermarket tours as well, and got some great advice from people we ran into there. My wife and I both love to cook, so that was another reason for visiting the local markets. As a side note, one of the things we learned is that there is a significant degree of homogeneity among grocery stores in different regions. The inside of a Safeway in north Idaho looks pretty much just like the inside of a Vons in So Cal (they are owned by the same company).

During our travels we had several people tell us that when you find your place you will know it. We were lucky enough to have that experience. I hope you do as well.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM

16,355 posts, read 10,340,678 times
I always found visiting the local library very revealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement