U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 04:48 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,257,642 times

Advertisements

New trend??
What's old - is new according to the media

My maternal grandmother lived with us from before I was born until I graduated from high school in 70. Said it was time to move. The big old house was built in the 20's - she had her own kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath.

So she moved to a retirement community in town (own apartment, then to residential living with services, then to assisted living, and finally to nursing care) for 17 years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,017,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No one would know or care if a few small appliances were placed in a master bedroom. It would require plumbing, wiring, or other permitted work to become an issue with the city.

Our sewer district would also never know or care whether the people in the home are related or not, nor how many people are living there. The bills are simply based on the winter water use, when no one is watering the yard, since most of that goes down the sewer.
I'm so nervous about taxes here. Some folks even those who are well off deliberately do not overly fix up the outsides of their homes, as the tax man/lady cometh.

I like the idea of a little kitchenette with hotplate/toaster oven, maybe with a tiny sink installed on the other side of a bathroom wall. That means plumbing, but not much. That way simple meals can be made or dinner can be in the main part of the house.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,256,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
New trend??
What's old - is new according to the media

My maternal grandmother lived with us from before I was born until I graduated from high school in 70. Said it was time to move. The big old house was built in the 20's - she had her own kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath.

So she moved to a retirement community in town (own apartment, then to residential living with services, then to assisted living, and finally to nursing care) for 17 years.
Yes, I would say probably 25% of the folks in my community (where I grew up) had some sort of "extended family living arrangement."

Several of my family members have also had these arrangements, which have varied from "granny apartments" to finished basements to opening up 2 existing bedrooms to make a mini-suite for parents, to guest houses, etc.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,581,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No one would know or care if a few small appliances were placed in a master bedroom. It would require plumbing, wiring, or other permitted work to become an issue with the city.

Our sewer district would also never know or care whether the people in the home are related or not, nor how many people are living there. The bills are simply based on the winter water use, when no one is watering the yard, since most of that goes down the sewer.
I've been on a lot of new-home tours where houses with elaborate master suites included what they called a "coffee bar." It's like a second smaller closet, separate from the walk-in closet/dressing room, that contained a counter, a bar sink, a mini-fridge, coffee pot, small microwave, and cupboard space for beverage supplies and light breakfast makings. Similar to what you find in some hotels. Usually it was on the other side of the bathroom wall, for ease of plumbing, I would guess.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 PM

730 posts, read 1,030,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
It's an interesting idea but may be tough to do in many places. Where I am we've got all kinds of zoning rules about what are called accessory apartments. Some of what is described in the article might be OK, other examples would fall under two family design and would not be allowed except in a very few places in towns. Certainly not in a subdivision of new single family homes.

Two separate buildings each with living space on one lot would be a big no-no.Such things do exist here and there but they are old and non- conforming.
Here on LI, such a setup (in order to be legal) would require multiple ($$$) permits and inspections, and subsequently the house would be taxed as a "mother/daughter". There are limits to who the person occupying the secondary space can be (relationshipwise); otherwise it'd be considered a "two-family".

Property taxes -- which are already obscene even for single-family homes here -- are even higher for either type of dwelling. Which is one reason why there are so many illegal apartments on LI. :-/

ETA: Here is someone wanting info on creating a mother/daughter setup in their house; very illuminating as to what's involved in my area and how it can vary considerably even from one town to the adjacent town(s):
Is it a Good idea to turn my home into Legal Mother/Daughter?

Last edited by Never2L8; 05-30-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM

983 posts, read 2,181,330 times
I live in Charlotte area and saw these homes when Lennar introduced them. They are pretty good design and they meet different family needs here. They tend to be larger homes so I decided not to buy and go with a dual master instead. Lennar is building these homes all over Charlotte area and they seem to attract different people not just immigrants.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would be easy in this setup to put in a mini-fridge, a simple countertop for coffee maker, and a hotplate or toaster oven. Would that qualify as a real kitchen and thus not be allowed?
I think that type of setup is just considered having a plug-in appliance rather than a kitchen, in most places. However as the homeowner I would be very nervous about the tenant accidentally leaving the hotplate on, and starting a fire...

Some people claim that you can have a sink and a refrigerator in a "second kitchen" but as long as you don't also have a stove, it's not considered a "kitchen". Because of this, many times when someone puts a house with an illegal apartment up for sale, they remove the stove. Of course nobody would believe for a second that a room containing a fullsize fridge, counters, cabinets and a kitchen sink (but an empty space where the stove used to be) is anything but a kitchen, lol

Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
The only code restrictions I have ruin into is ONE living unit per SFR, defined in local code as permanent RANGE (cooking). So... I build all my 'accessory' dwellings without a range. no problem...as in the pantry I have a mobile 'canning kitchen'. a range in a cabinet on wheels. inspector leaves, roll out the canning kitchen and plug it in. Done deal.

I have also had to call my tenants 'boarders' and provide one meal / day (EZ).

Biggest hurdle.. Marriage penalty. Residents can only be ONE family (as defined by marriage) or 9 unrelated persons.

Be careful who you marry.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 AM

Nine totally unrelated persons? Shades of the 1960s commune, LOL

Is that minimum 9 or maximum 9? Now you've got me curious.

So.... say if Joe and eight of his friends (male and female) pool their money together and buy a house, and all live there together, that's okay as long as none of the nine people get married? And they could all be owners of the house on the deed?

Sounds like fodder for a new tv reality show, lol

Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Nine totally unrelated persons? Shades of the 1960s commune, LOL

Is that minimum 9 or maximum 9? Now you've got me curious.

So.... say if Joe and eight of his friends (male and female) pool their money together and buy a house, and all live there together, that's okay as long as none of the nine people get married? And they could all be owners of the house on the deed?

Sounds like fodder for a new tv reality show, lol
9 MAX to still be considered a SFR.

none of them have to own it, can be a rental, or a co-op, or an LLC (in case all would want to own it )

Any 2 (or more) residents get married, either they are out, or everyone else is out. (Voted off the island)

Weird... yes

I can play within the rules, if I know the rules... but not while married... one of us will have to die.. (this is highly likely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or