U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would be easy in this setup to put in a mini-fridge, a simple countertop for coffee maker, and a hotplate or toaster oven. Would that qualify as a real kitchen and thus not be allowed?

Also, in my town, in households with those not related living together have to pay a higher sewer bill, not sure by how much but that is usually factored in.

Doing anything at all here, such as adding even a small half-bath, sends the property tax skyward.
Ahhh, the benefit of being in the communist republic of New England! Where nobody can actually afford to live, so most are on the dole. Keeps the house prices - err, taxes - up, doncha know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,342,982 times
Quote:
Also, in my town, in households with those not related living together have to pay a higher sewer bill, not sure by how much but that is usually factored in.
Did that come out correctly?

1) how would the town know who is related or not in a private home?
2) why would unrelated people create more sewage than related people?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Did that come out correctly?

1) how would the town know who is related or not in a private home?
2) why would unrelated people create more sewage than related people?
I have no idea, except that we have an annual town census and have to report everyone living in the household including dogs and cats. They probably figure that unrelated folks need to ante up, to add to the tax base (?)

In this town many homeowners rent rooms to college kids and many college kids rent together and have parties and sleepovers and "extended stays" that may add to the sewer burden.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Ahhh, the benefit of being in the communist republic of New England! Where nobody can actually afford to live, so most are on the dole. Keeps the house prices - err, taxes - up, doncha know.
Yes, Taxachusetts, where the upper and middle classes carry an enormous burden.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 AM

8,615 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
The "granny pod" isn't new, it's been around awhile. This story was picked up by my local paper this morning.

Homes for extended families are a new trend in the Charlotte area - KansasCity.com

Does anyone have positive or negative experience?
A "granny pod"...that's what my mom had in mind when she had my little house redone. Didn't work out because my brother decided he didn't want to move his family into mom's house. So I live here. So far I'd call it a very positive experience. It has allowed me to save a LOT of money, build up my savings substantially AND even have a few 'wants' satisfied. My mom and I get along great, we don't step on one another's privacy and I'm here anytime she needs me to be. I pay rent and also pay for some of the maintenance, mostly on my little house. That can get expensive sometimes but I'm grateful I can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or