U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

The "granny pod" isn't new, it's been around awhile. This story was picked up by my local paper this morning.

Homes for extended families are a new trend in the Charlotte area - KansasCity.com

Does anyone have positive or negative experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 AM

1,427 posts, read 2,570,688 times
We've thought about it for my mom. She's not to the point where she'd want to/need to do it yet, but my brother and I are both already sort-of set up for it. He has a building behind his house that is already stubbed for plumbing. We have a former detached garage that's been finished as a laundry room/studio. Both spaces could easily convert to living spaces, albeit small ones of the studio variety, not with full kitchens. I could see us both finishing out the spaces and mom living with him in the winter (Austin, TX) and us in the summer (Santa Fe, NM). I think if mom had "two homes", then it wouldn't wear on any of us as much as if she were in one place all the time.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,301,479 times
It's an interesting idea but may be tough to do in many places. Where I am we've got all kinds of zoning rules about what are called accessory apartments. Some of what is described in the article might be OK, other examples would fall under two family design and would not be allowed except in a very few places in towns. Certainly not in a subdivision of new single family homes.

Two separate buildings each with living space on one lot would be a big no-no.Such things do exist here and there but they are old and non- conforming. Then I look at relatives in CA, a couple of whom have
bought homes with casitas in the rear yards and which are common. Guess it depends on where you live.

I'm sure there is a need for multi unit, multi generational designs.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,795 posts, read 54,455,776 times
In our area where many immigrants from India are coming to work for Microsoft, the new home builders are actually building with two master suites because so many of them are bringing parents with them. So called "in-law" apartments are not allowed in our city so they have come up with this alternative. With these new homes selling quickly at $800k-1.2 million it seems to be a hit.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In our area where many immigrants from India are coming to work for Microsoft, the new home builders are actually building with two master suites because so many of them are bringing parents with them. So called "in-law" apartments are not allowed in our city so they have come up with this alternative. With these new homes selling quickly at $800k-1.2 million it seems to be a hit.
It would be easy in this setup to put in a mini-fridge, a simple countertop for coffee maker, and a hotplate or toaster oven. Would that qualify as a real kitchen and thus not be allowed?

Also, in my town, in households with those not related living together have to pay a higher sewer bill, not sure by how much but that is usually factored in.

Doing anything at all here, such as adding even a small half-bath, sends the property tax skyward.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:52 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,199,187 times
We have a converted garage that has it's own bathroom, separated bedroom and small kitchen area. We are renting it to my son and his girlfriend and our grandson while they finish thier studies, but we intend to use it for my mom or dad when the time comes. With a lot of Hispanic cultures the grandma and grandpa live with at least one of thier kids and I grew up this way.

In fact back in the 70's in new jersey the first level of our three story house was our apartment, the second level was my aunt's house. The house next door my other aunt lived second floor and my grandma lived in the first floor. As little kids me and my cousins would play together on the enclosed driveway between two houses.

I love that my grandson is so close but they have their own separate spaces with separate entraces. Eventually when their careers take off and have saved more money they will move on. But the way this ecomony is working out I think this a smart option for a lot of families.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
We shopped for our home in MN knowing it was likely my parents would end up living with us. And that's exactly what happened.

My parents had the upper floor and we had the walkout basement. The only rooms we shared were the kitchen on their level and the laundry room on our level. We also used the downstairs den a lot together because the big screen TV was there but they had their own TV room. My parents had 3 br, bath, living room, dining room, and kitchen. Plus a finished 2 car garage that was heated. We had a 2 car garage, 1 br, bath, computer room, den, and laundry room.

It worked out pretty well overall.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,578 posts, read 39,952,759 times
I find it ezr to live with someone else's kids or parents, and expect that is what will be the plan.

I also keep full living qtrs on 2 separate floors. Will either be for me, or my caregiver, or anyone who happens along and needs a place. It will be nice if they will stay home and feed the dog and water the plants. I prefer to be gone.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,795 posts, read 54,455,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would be easy in this setup to put in a mini-fridge, a simple countertop for coffee maker, and a hotplate or toaster oven. Would that qualify as a real kitchen and thus not be allowed?

Also, in my town, in households with those not related living together have to pay a higher sewer bill, not sure by how much but that is usually factored in.

Doing anything at all here, such as adding even a small half-bath, sends the property tax skyward.
No one would know or care if a few small appliances were placed in a master bedroom. It would require plumbing, wiring, or other permitted work to become an issue with the city.

Our sewer district would also never know or care whether the people in the home are related or not, nor how many people are living there. The bills are simply based on the winter water use, when no one is watering the yard, since most of that goes down the sewer.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
We have a converted garage that has it's own bathroom, separated bedroom and small kitchen area. We are renting it to my son and his girlfriend and our grandson while they finish thier studies, but we intend to use it for my mom or dad when the time comes. With a lot of Hispanic cultures the grandma and grandpa live with at least one of thier kids and I grew up this way.

In fact back in the 70's in new jersey the first level of our three story house was our apartment, the second level was my aunt's house. The house next door my other aunt lived second floor and my grandma lived in the first floor. As little kids me and my cousins would play together on the enclosed driveway between two houses.

I love that my grandson is so close but they have their own separate spaces with separate entraces. Eventually when their careers take off and have saved more money they will move on. But the way this ecomony is working out I think this a smart option for a lot of families.
Nice setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or