U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,857,647 times
Reputation: 6379

Advertisements

Top 10 Smartest States for Financial Literacy

I am here to toot my states horn and our region. The list should generate some talk. Let's see where this goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Reputation: 32309
I'll start. I think the list is fun and amusing but I do not think any serious conclusions can be drawn from it. Certain things were more or less expected, for example deep south states such as (not in any order) Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi being among the 10 "worst" states.

Here's why I don't consider that the lists have any serious purpose: Let's take Arkansas. Most of the state is rural and education in the rural areas leaves much to be desired. That was already well known. But I happen to know a very sophisticated family who lives in Little Rock and I have met some of their friends, who are also well-educated and sophisticated. If one travels in those circles, other people don't really matter.

Conversely, I'm sure none of us believe that the top state on the list contains only well-educated and financially literate people. There are ignorant people everywhere, just as there are sophisticated people everywhere. The point of the list seems to be that the ratio of the ignorant to the sophisticated varies from state to state, but that can hardly be considered news.

My overall take: meaningless trivia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 11:50 AM
 
29,818 posts, read 34,907,142 times
Reputation: 11735
This is a great resource to help put many of our discussions in context. You are often what your friends and neighbors are. Probably the more financially literate your surroundings the more you think certain things to be important. As we often have said our friends and neighbors often think similar to us and we consider that to be the norm everywhere when it often isn't. So even within all states there are pockets of high financial literacy/savvy and areas of low. Affluent neighborhoods within any state probably have a like minded culture regarding investing etc etc etc. The more financially literate the overall population hopefully the more pressure for government to exercise fiscal reality. It might appear to some that this article suggest that some states have a greater of preponderance of financial literacy with varying impacts. Hmmm I wonder how this correlates with average income state to state and what if any cause and effect there MIGHT be ? Perhaps Golfingduo will offer that up to us next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 12:08 PM
 
29,818 posts, read 34,907,142 times
Reputation: 11735
This also has transplanting implications depending on your old neighborhood/state and your new one and what does or doesn't get discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 03:11 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,247,952 times
Reputation: 14870
I'm wondering if South Dakota is on the list because of all the financially-secure full-time RVers who register their rigs in that state.

They live 1 day out of the year in the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 PM
 
14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times
Reputation: 20101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm wondering if South Dakota is on the list because of all the financially-secure full-time RVers who register their rigs in that state.

They live 1 day out of the year in the state

Quite a few counties in SD are among the poorest in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Quite a few counties in SD are among the poorest in the US.
But isn't that because of the vast Indian reservation(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,767 posts, read 10,864,802 times
Reputation: 16651
Attached to the article was a listing of the "Ten Smartest States for Financial IQ in 1Q 2011. It appears that only about 2 -3 of the "top states in 2011" made the 2014 list (???)

I suppose that seven of those states could have gotten a lot dumber ... or seven new states got financially smarter, but, I suspect the real reason is the highly subjective measurements. Irregardless, it appears that the list doesn't mean much if it changes that rapidly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2014, 01:51 AM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,596 posts, read 10,949,665 times
Reputation: 19258
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Top 10 Smartest States for Financial Literacy

I am here to toot my states horn and our region. The list should generate some talk. Let's see where this goes.
Since you are really excited about this you must be familiar with the survey. Please tell us how it was conducted and precisely what factors were used in making these determinations. There's no information on the link.

I'm curious. Do you have a bumper sticker boosting your local high school's croquet team or some other sport?

Now, I'll provide something of real interest to the 70+ crowd; it will also make you proud..

Best states for restaurant food not requiring teeth.

1) California

2) New York

3) Mississippi

4) Massachusetts


5) Maine

6) New Jersey

7) New Mexico

8) Texas

9) Colorado

10) Michigan

Arizona scored 20th and Florida 33rd. Massachusetts is now one of the top retirement states...at least for folks who gum it.

I bet Massachusetts came in so high for three reasons: stuffed lobster in Boston, Friendly Ice Cream, and braised road kill in the Berkshires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Since you are really excited about this you must be familiar with the survey. Please tell us how it was conducted and precisely what factors were used in making these determinations. There's no information on the link.

I'm curious. Do you have a bumper sticker boosting your local high school's croquet team or some other sport?

Now, I'll provide something of real interest to the 70+ crowd; it will also make you proud..

Best states for restaurant food not requiring teeth.

1) California

2) New York

3) Mississippi

4) Massachusetts


5) Maine

6) New Jersey

7) New Mexico

8) Texas

9) Colorado

10) Michigan

Arizona scored 20th and Florida 33rd. Massachusetts is now one of the top retirement states...at least for folks who gum it.

I bet Massachusetts came in so high for three reasons: stuffed lobster in Boston, Friendly Ice Cream, and braised road kill in the Berkshires.
Hysterical! I really enjoyed that. What a great put-down of all "lists"! Restaurant food not requiring teeth. Too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top