U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:23 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My husband got laid off at 38. Even at that age, he was discriminated against. One job he felt really good about -- he didn't get it because they "thought" he wouldn't want to drive over the bridge every day. While on another interview in the same area, he decided to go thank them for the consideration on the job in person, just to check out who they hired.

It was a woman he had talked to in the big mass interview, who lived 20 miles farther away, and crossed two bridges to get there.

But she was much younger than his 38 years.

That was when we started the janitorial company.
Funny how they make such an assumption about an applicant- deciding he doesn't like crossing bridges as a reason not to hire him???

I don't know, somehow I'm amazed that an employer thinks a 38 year old applicant is too old for the job. The thing is, there could be any number of reasons the woman got that job, maybe not her young age, who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,415,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
Some of the responders in this thread strike me as quite complacent, with easy, pat answers, though they have no skin in the game themselves. For those that seriously want to find work, this is not a frivolous discussion!

I speak from some experience in that I moved to a city where I knew no one and had no connections at all. I'm 63 and fortunate enough to have a pension. I looked for a part-time job in order to meet people and earn spending money. Believe me, ageism is real, and finding a job, in general, is no picnic. Most jobs (at least where you have zero connections) are found through the Internet. In approximately 18 months I applied for about 300 jobs. In the huge majority of cases, I received absolutely no feedback at all. In jobs that I was quite interested in, I wrote very carefully tailored cover letters, in the hope of an interview. My 300 applications yielded between five and ten interviews.

I landed a total of three jobs in those 18 months, and one was, in fact, as a medical transport driver. I enjoyed that job greatly; I met interesting people and, as well, got to learn the highways of my new adopted city.

I won't go on to describe my other two jobs. As it is, my wife and I are in the process of joining the Peace Corps--that other popular activity of the newly retired. My point, however, is that getting a job in your senior years is not a simple proposition. I hate to read posts where people are snide or cavalier about it.
I'm incredibly impressed.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 PM

28,210 posts, read 47,610,571 times
My local employment office is finding people over 55 years old a job. Some government program here in Tennessee. This city I live in is a college town and it's hard find work here.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,415,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
My 80 year old mother got a job being a weekend receptionist for a psychiatric hospital in Texas. It pays $15.00/hour. She got the job because of her prior experience working is hospitals and she was willing to work weekends. Because she is retired, it does not make any difference to her what days of the week she works. She is also very personable.
Go, Mom!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 PM

17,267 posts, read 10,194,544 times
Reading all these stories of older people being shut out of jobs is incredibly depressing.

If one is physically and mentally able to do a job, why not?

I'm already at the age range when age discrimination is very real, in my 40's. In fact I'd say that age discrimination, especially in certain industries, starts in early to mid 30's.

I'm fortunate to have a job, but the thought of what I would do if I lost my job is something I think about quite often.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 PM

We all might have to move to North Dakota to find good paying jobs.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:01 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My local employment office is finding people over 55 years old a job. Some government program here in Tennessee. This city I live in is a college town and it's hard find work here.
The effects of ageism become even more rampant in places with bad job markets, like most of Tennessee.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:45 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,919,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
This is me except I'm almost 52. The part in bold has been my magic formula too. Wish I would have figured it out even younger.
I work in an office full of 30-somethings and most are married and have kids. This is in Orange County. I worked for years in L.A. and there were more singles/never marrieds there, our age and older.

I normally eat lunch alone at my new job. At my old job in L.A. I always had singles to go out with at lunch.

Big cultural differences of course. I'm not a fan of hearing how Johnny did well in soccer last night. And my new colleagues are not fans of hearing how I spent my evening last night.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The effects of ageism become even more rampant in places with bad job markets, like most of Tennessee.
Your right, Tennessee is place to retire to but not a place for older people to find work. Many of Tennessee jobs are low paying.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:23 PM

10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
Just try really hard to be a 28 year old white male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or