U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM

82 posts, read 97,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Know many "Boomers" are from generations that don't like to make a federal case out of everything, but someone really needs to start calling employers, agencies et al out on what appears to be rampant age discrimination.

If these places pulled half the stunts they get away with on gays, African Americans, Latino-Hispanics, and other minority groups they'd be on the evening news with the federal government leading the charge to hang.

Speaking of employment/temp agencies, the places have historically been ripe with discrimination and apparently that has not changed.

Employers could (and again apparently still do) specify what sort of persons they wanted sent an agencies would comply. Here in NYC years ago an undercover investigation was launched that found many such places used various codes on applications to indicate race, age, gender, sexual preference and so forth. If you were this or that minority there was a good chance you would not be sent to certain places (top law firms, investment banks, ad agencies, etc....) because they didn't hire "those" sort of persons. If they did it was for "invisible" back office positions where you wouldn't be seen by clients or so forth.
---------------------

Happened to me interviewing with one of the largest international charities that I had donated to for years. I had sent a follow up thank you to the 2 younger men who interviewed me (they barely made eye contact once they noticed that I was old enough to be their mother) and received no reply at all. Second attempt was an email follow up, third another email. The field is not one in which age should matter - fundraising.
I finally contacted the HR person who had arranged the interview and she told me that they both said I was only interested in P/T work - not true! She then said it was too late to reconsider, as another person was hired.
Funny, when she first phoned me for the interview she mentioned that there had been an overwhelming number of applicants and they would arrange a meeting at my convenience due to how well the phone interview went and my qualifications.
My qualifications were excellent, references from top folks in the field, etc. Pretty sure it was my age.
The next time I received a solicitation from the organization I replied that I'd be interested in speaking with someone in management about why I would no longer be a donor - no return message or call. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UL885 View Post
My qualifications were excellent, references from top folks in the field, etc. Pretty sure it was my age.
The next time I received a solicitation from the organization I replied that I'd be interested in speaking with someone in management about why I would no longer be a donor - no return message or call. Go figure.
Heh, never too old to be a donor.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,079,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Have to disagree with you on this ER, except for about 8 people in my office, everyone make less than 20 dollars an hour working full time. And they are all required to have a college degree. 20 dollars an hours may not be much in LA, but it is a lot in most other places. Especially when you consider that 66 percent of all Americans make less than 41k dollars a year.

And I consider all of my coworkers to have REAL jobs.
I might look up the article or information in a minute but I've posted this stat on here before that 60% of the jobs in this country pay $20.00 or less an hour. That was incredible to me because that's about enough, $41,600, on the highest end of the scale for one person to survive independently with a little left over for saving for retirement 401K. Add in student loans, gas, car costs, medical, dental etc... and you'd be lucky to take an occasional vacation.

I've said on here before the top twenty percent are still doing pretty good especially the top 10% but would say between what's left of the jobs between the 60% and 80% are what's left of the "working class". the bottom to 60% of jobs are now in my mind working poor and no longer meaningfully working class jobs anymore. The 20% to about top 10% are all that's left of middle class jobs and when you gat into the top 10% you're into the upper middle class then the rich and wealthy.

But basically the bottom 60% of the jobs in this country today, SIXTY PERCENT, are all working poor now. From 60-80 is what's left of the "working class", 20-10 the few "middle class" that are left and then you're into the top 10% who for now are still being taken care of, for now.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,135,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
I might look up the article or information in a minute but I've posted this stat on here before that 60% of the jobs in this country pay $20.00 or less an hour. That was incredible to me because that's about enough, $41,600, on the highest end of the scale for one person to survive independently with a little left over for saving for retirement 401K. Add in student loans, gas, car costs, medical, dental etc... and you'd be lucky to take an occasional vacation.

I've said on here before the top twenty percent are still doing pretty good especially the top 10% but would say between what's left of the jobs between the 60% and 80% are what's left of the "working class". the bottom to 60% of jobs are now in my mind working poor and no longer meaningfully working class jobs anymore. The 20% to about top 10% are all that's left of middle class jobs and when you gat into the top 10% you're into the upper middle class then the rich and wealthy.

But basically the bottom 60% of the jobs in this country today, SIXTY PERCENT, are all working poor now. From 60-80 is what's left of the "working class", 20-10 the few "middle class" that are left and then you're into the top 10% who for now are still being taken care of, for now.
America's death march. A strong middle class gave us decades upon decades of American strength. Alas, the future is dark. My wife and I may be able to eke out survival especially if deflation kicks in. That would enable us to live off our war chest no matter what the job situation is. It would take vastly renewed interest in and funding of infrastructure, big engineering, big science and serious war preparations to turn this sinking ship around. After years of the shopping mall culture and "if it feels good do it" mentality, harsh medicine would be required.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:16 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,249,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Interesting topic...

IMO, there is a BIG difference between older people who lost their jobs and are seeking another in order to stay alive with food and shelter -- and those who are retired but are looking for P/T work to supplement their reiterment income--which is ADEQUATE for survival.

I'd like to see this discussion divided into two segments, each reflecting one of the two situations, as they are VERY different.

And I agree, it is very difficult for older workers to find full-time, decent paying jobs. There is definitely ageism alive and well in the job market (and in other parts of society, too, but that is a different topic).

What do we do about that -- this age discrimination? Maybe we seniors need to launch new businesses -- and then have seniors hiring seniors.
You are going to have the progressives wishing for all old white people to die off again and again. That is racist ageism.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 AM

741 posts, read 641,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
There were loads of bitter depressed people ...
And their bitter and depressed vibe is easily identified, and a potential employer isn't going to touch such a person with a 10-foot pole. A good attitude, even in the face of hardships ... is paramount to success at anything. Be that a greeter at Wal-Mart, or a computer programmer.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Speaking of being fat and unhealthy, has anyone been alarmed at the epidemic of obesity among our youth? At my local gym the old dogs are still running to keep in shape, and some of the older ladies are looking fantastic when compared to their daughters, could it be that hatred and stupidity is fattening?

I'm alarmed at the obesity epidemic, but it is now impacting everyone, and certainly not just "the youth." No, hatred and stupidity are not "fattening."

Seriously though, this kind of hate posting should give all of our (boomer) generation a good look at what a great economic prosperity can bring, a kind of mental laziness seems to be the thread that runs through so much of the youthful conversation these days, spoiled to distraction leaving some youth lacking any direction or goals, this is our reward for wanting a good life for our offspring, the above post is really the proof that much of our youth has been spoiled to the core, making idiots of those who see their parents or grandparents as the enemy.

Many of the Millenials are spoiled because their Boomer parents willfully coddled them. As kids, a lot of us Millenials were given "medals for trying" or an "E for effort," systems your Boomer generation designed and put in place. For many of the youth, there is little chance on getting a decent job because many displaced boomers are hogging what should be entry level jobs in a healthy economy.

Just the notion that "all" the people of any generation acted in concert with regard to aberrant behavior exposes the poster as a poster boy for the ignorant, not to mention the kind of mindset that wishes for the early demise of his elders. To the posters dismay the boomers are actually living quite healthy and economically rewarding lives, and why shouldn't we, we worked for over forty years to have this time of leisure. I am very thankful for those youthful Americans that CAN think, that DO respect their elders, and who DO take responsibility for themselves, we all thank the young Americans who possess these qualities!!

Actually, many of the Boomers are woefully unprepared for (and can't afford to) retire, and are also less healthy than their parents' generation. Many of the economic and social problems the nation faces today were misguided policies created and implemented by Boomers.

Immaturity seems to be the one common trait among those younger American's who can't do the reading necessary to see who brought the ailing economy to their doorstep, or the fact that most of those on Wall street aren't boomers at all, instead it's their own peer group who is now running America's biggest financial institutions, look around at all the 40 somethings who seem to have more money than God, great educations, big fancy homes, expensive fast cars, kids in private schools, European vacations, but you have to get past the hate to see this. My Dentist, Doctor, banker, my IT neighbor are all doing quite well and they are in their forties. So much for the theory that boomers ruined the world for the young.................

A forty something today certainly did not take the brunt of the collapse of the entry level job market over the past six years. The forty somethings actually had experience before the bust, something Millenials are having a hard time getting due to the catch-22 of not being able to get experience because no one will hire you without experience
Sigh...

Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM

730 posts, read 1,026,943 times
Quote:
Many of the Millenials are spoiled because their Boomer parents willfully coddled them. As kids, a lot of us Millenials were given "medals for trying" or an "E for effort," systems your Boomer generation designed and put in place.

I agree with this 100%, and will freely admit my guilt at being a "coddler" myself. If I had a time machine I'd definitely go back and re-do certain aspects of my parenting -- especially the one that accustomed DS to instant gratification. Although I will say that I cringed every time the teams and schools handed out the "participation medals" and "E for effort", because IMHO all that does is deflect reality and cheapen the 'real' wins. I loathe that inane "Everybody's a winner" concept. But unfortunately that's the way the system was (is it, still??) set up. Protect the kids' self-esteem at all costs and let them figure out how to deal with reality when they're adults. Problem is, too many of them are now in their 30s and haven't figured it out yet (or don't want to accept it), LOL

As a result, we now have too big a chunk of Millenials thinking that the world owes them a living. And yes, our generation is responsible for that to an uncomfortable degree.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:51 PM

9,751 posts, read 7,030,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UL885 View Post
---------------------

Happened to me interviewing with one of the largest international charities that I had donated to for years. I had sent a follow up thank you to the 2 younger men who interviewed me (they barely made eye contact once they noticed that I was old enough to be their mother) and received no reply at all. Second attempt was an email follow up, third another email. The field is not one in which age should matter - fundraising.
I finally contacted the HR person who had arranged the interview and she told me that they both said I was only interested in P/T work - not true! She then said it was too late to reconsider, as another person was hired.
Funny, when she first phoned me for the interview she mentioned that there had been an overwhelming number of applicants and they would arrange a meeting at my convenience due to how well the phone interview went and my qualifications.
Well, there WAS the time that as a young single woman with a newly minted graduate degree ( and gainfully employed), living in Miami, I had more time than money, and wanted to offer my services as a volunteer with a large national organization that mostly used volunteers, although they had jobs to train handicapped folks, had large stores where they sold donated refurbished and cleaned up items, and so on.

I got as far as one of their people coming to my place to interview me for my service as a volunteer. That interview got no further than the woman asking me how my Spanish was. I told her I could understand it, and speak some, but I wasn't fluent in it. She informed me that if I wasn't fluent enough to carry on a conversation with their clients ( they apparently had been looking for me to take clients without cars to their appointments, and shopping, etc), their agency had no use for my services. In any capacity.

That ended that. And that attitude also ended any hope of any money donations I will ever contribute to that organization. If my time isn't good enough for them, neither is my money.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:11 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,484,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, there WAS the time that as a young single woman with a newly minted graduate degree ( and gainfully employed), living in Miami, I had more time than money, and wanted to offer my services as a volunteer with a large national organization that mostly used volunteers, although they had jobs to train handicapped folks, had large stores where they sold donated refurbished and cleaned up items, and so on.

I got as far as one of their people coming to my place to interview me for my service as a volunteer. That interview got no further than the woman asking me how my Spanish was. I told her I could understand it, and speak some, but I wasn't fluent in it. She informed me that if I wasn't fluent enough to carry on a conversation with their clients ( they apparently had been looking for me to take clients without cars to their appointments, and shopping, etc), their agency had no use for my services. In any capacity.

That ended that. And that attitude also ended any hope of any money donations I will ever contribute to that organization. If my time isn't good enough for them, neither is my money.
I don't blame you one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or