U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

I recently looked at a job listing in my former field, arts administration and marketing. As I read through the many job titles and lengthy, detailed job descriptions, I became overwhelmed. Not only with what was outlined for each, but by the fact I HAD DONE ALL THAT and more, and these being nonprofits, you can guess what the pay and benefits generally are. I mean, I could not go back and do all that I did if I were paid triple what I was paid. I cannot fathom summoning the sheer amount of energy needed to do any of these jobs, which I formerly did and under considerable stress (mostly from warring board members). I think I'd be led away to an institution if I had to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I recently looked at a job listing in my former field, arts administration and marketing. As I read through the many job titles and lengthy, detailed job descriptions, I became overwhelmed. Not only with what was outlined for each, but by the fact I HAD DONE ALL THAT and more, and these being nonprofits, you can guess what the pay and benefits generally are. I mean, I could not go back and do all that I did if I were paid triple what I was paid. I cannot fathom summoning the sheer amount of energy needed to do any of these jobs, which I formerly did and under considerable stress (mostly from warring board members). I think I'd be led away to an institution if I had to go back.
This is exactly how I feel about doing my job - any of them - again.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Have a friend who did volunteer work at a work force center. From what he describe that will not only depress but make you wander where the country is going. They have what is called life skills they teach at like 900 dollars cost per. Its basically a course on what it takes to get and hold a job. Such as show up on time; don't call in sick on Monday after Friday payday and that you have to progress in the job to get promoted or retained. These are not seniors ;they are young people to middle age mostly. He said many will tell you they only came in because their unemployment ran out. Truly sad.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I know what you mean-maybe it's my age talking, or something like that, but I'm very glad I no longer have to be a part of the workforce these days. Especially as towards the last few years when I was working, the powers that be seemed to expect 24/7 availability of their employees.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:36 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,262,187 times
[quote=Emigrations;35092898]Sigh...[/QUOTE

Did you think that most of my generation was oblivious to the fact of a terrible economy?

Did you think that the "coddling" as you term it is something peculiar to the US and boomers in general? It isn't. It was and IS the fallout ("the good life") of a supra economy that cherished growth as it's main contribution to society. Doing better than the previous generation IS the American dream, right or wrong that's the way things go here. Low employment stats are simply a reflection of a new economic paradigm, known as "the global economy", do I support it in theory, no, I don't.

You're drinking the Kool Aid if you think an entire generation of American's determined anything, I guess I should have denigrated my Dad's generation for supporting the notion that hard and possibly dirty work may just be your ticket to ride. I guess my generation was coddled also simply because we had running water, electricity, and many things that the previous generation didn't have. I got a crappy education in public school but managed to learn a lot from my folks, I had crappy jobs but managed to survive simply because I worked, I went into the Army, drafted at nineteen, big disruption, but managed to pick up the pieces and move on, got married, worked two jobs, raised a child, finally got a good union job and began to prosper (age 40), retired, helping my daughter (43) with her education to get different work, helping grandkids with education and music lessons, oh the evilness of us boomers...............

Poverty is and has been a constant in America, it has had an impact on EVERY generation since the colonial days, study your US history, read Howard Zinn's "A People's History of The United States", you want to kick somebody? Kick those who really run this nation, I'll give ya a hint it aint the boomers, it's been the same old crowd that ate the boomers lunch, that ate my fathers lunch, my grandfathers, and all the way back to Scotland where the British uppers ate the lunch of entire nations........

What is your plan for your self? Did you think we came of age in a society that had it all mapped out for us?
I lived in what would be considered a very low income area in my youth, I didn't have new anything, and I certainly had a lot of company in that situation, not ALL boomers were well off, ever. Have you thought about all those in my generation who died in Vietnam as the unwilling soldiers of an unpopular war? How terrible it would have been for you and your buddies had they (50,000) lived, oh God, more of those nasty Boomers to contend with now..

Please take a moment to read something more than the right wing dogma you now take as a new gospel, and while you're at it read some good US history that puts this economy in the correct perspective with regard to who got what and why. Most of our national history is replete with tales of unfair treatment of those who must work for a living, the upper class has always been the upper class regardless of what generation they may have been born into. Now I guess it's my turn to sigh.........

Last edited by jertheber; 06-06-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 11:02 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,223,870 times
Quote:
if I'm right then that's a profoundly discouraging situation for anyone who lost a REAL job and actually needs or wants to make actual money. It has to be very depressing to be forced into working for $15 per hour.
Excuse me. $15.00 and hour IS "real" money for some people. I don't know if you meant it to be but what you said seems very condescending.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Excuse me. $15.00 and hour IS "real" money for some people. I don't know if you meant it to be but what you said seems very condescending.
As the writer of the post which you quoted and responded to, I see your point. Yes, I was already aware that some people's regular jobs pay in that range. But it's all relative, and partly it depends on where one lives because cost of living varies quite a bit across the country. At the other end of the spectrum, we have large numbers of people making $100 per hour and up: doctors, lawyers, CPA's, middle and upper management. That latter territory seems like a dream world to me, as I have never been part of it. Yet obviously I did better than those making $15 per hour, even though as a high school teacher I always considered myself part of the permanent underclass.

It's fairly normal to respond from one's own perspective, and my perspective was that the doctors and lawyers were "normal", and that I had fallen far short of the "normal", i.e., the acceptable. The reason I placed "normal" in quotes is because I don't mean statistically normal, but what was acceptable to me personally.

My perspective changed after retirement, as I have come to understand that I did O.K., and that I am now quite O.K.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,223,870 times
There've been some good ideas for job that some people might not have thought of -- like airport shuttle driver, or luggage courier, car delivery person -- who knew? Google search for behind the scenes jobs, hidden jobs, or jobs no one wants. Ever see the show "Dirty jobs?"

The more competition for jobs most people would think of -- the more You really have to think outside the box. I think I read that funeral homes sometimes need workers. I know I NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER would have thought about that if I hadn't read it somewhere.

And of course the more limitations or requirements one has for the location, pay, hours or duties of a job the harder it might be to find what you're looking for.

I've read this entire thread. And the unfortunate truth is it is ROUGH out there economically for a lot of people. If you have your health and a job and can pay your bills -- you may just have to let go of the idea of taking vacations, eating out and traveling like you used to or had hoped to do. Need money? Take in a boarder, sell stuff, barter services? Of course I could never suggesting thinking "under the table," but as I did say think outside the box.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:48 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,138,510 times
If in that boat, I would want to go to job fairs / interviews where employers who were smart would fall over each other to snap up people who have been working with software, chips, systems, you name it, for 30+ years (maybe longer) who can do just about anything while hopping on one foot with one hand tied behind our backs ...

Oh wait ... in my dreams.

(.....---- POP!----.....)

Back to the real world!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:41 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
There've been some good ideas for job that some people might not have thought of -- like airport shuttle driver, or luggage courier, car delivery person -- who knew? Google search for behind the scenes jobs, hidden jobs, or jobs no one wants. Ever see the show "Dirty jobs?"

The more competition for jobs most people would think of -- the more You really have to think outside the box. I think I read that funeral homes sometimes need workers. I know I NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER would have thought about that if I hadn't read it somewhere.

And of course the more limitations or requirements one has for the location, pay, hours or duties of a job the harder it might be to find what you're looking for.

I've read this entire thread. And the unfortunate truth is it is ROUGH out there economically for a lot of people. If you have your health and a job and can pay your bills -- you may just have to let go of the idea of taking vacations, eating out and traveling like you used to or had hoped to do. Need money? Take in a boarder, sell stuff, barter services? Of course I could never suggesting thinking "under the table," but as I did say think outside the box.
Seriously, we had a neighbor who worked for at least one funeral home. His job was pick up the deceased folks from where they died (hospitals, nursing homes, or anywhere else) and transport them back to the funeral homes where they would be prepared for their funerals. I know he made trips all over the state, and his wife told us he would pick up several bodies at a time and take them back to their respective funeral homes. He drove an old Chevy Astro van and we noticed he had the seats in the van as he sometimes also used that van for family trips. We used to speculate just how he would arrange several deceased folks at a time in that van to get them all to their destinations. One of those speculations was whether or not he would be able to use the high occupancy lane on the interstate, and speculations went downhill from there.

But.....someone has to do it! I don't know how much competition he had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or