U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:59 PM

10,138 posts, read 12,402,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
One of the big things that is wrong with this country today. Overbearing and overreaching government, laws, and regulations. And a LACK OF COMMON SENSE.
it is because they get to much money and when they have to much they do stupid stuff with it not unlike people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 AM

6,409 posts, read 3,594,818 times
Senior Care | Seniors Helping Seniors - Home Care Services

Why not? Who BETTER? I did something similar when I was in my 40s. Moved on from there to working with special needs kids and adults until 4 years ago at the age of 62.

It is so rewarding to help others.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 PM

9,693 posts, read 15,888,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Senior Care | Seniors Helping Seniors - Home Care Services

Why not? Who BETTER? I did something similar when I was in my 40s. Moved on from there to working with special needs kids and adults until 4 years ago at the age of 62.

It is so rewarding to help others.
My BIL and his wife are looking to start a shopping service for seniors, mainly grocery shopping, perhaps also assist to doctor appts, etc, but I warned them to be very careful with insurance issues for the medical transport. My DS might help them get started in the grocery delivery part......

Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 PM

10 posts, read 6,272 times
Some of us over 50 do not have the luxury to have a retirement...dependent on the 401k that you cannot access until you are 67.5 With that said, why did they increase the retirement age when both the government and society do not recognize this fact? I am starving, barely making it, lost everything and cannot get on my feet. My 30 year old let's me live with her but it should not be her concern. No grey hairs, big smiles, C++ programing skills, and more. I have a lot to offer society and others...dependable and do not feel "entitled". We all just want a sustainable job and stop the stereo typing. Please. Wake up, there are more and more of us in this situation living in poverty, when...before we were not. More of us are getting older than ever before.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:40 PM

12,057 posts, read 5,156,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I would not even bother to apply for jobs, other than babysitting, and I would not do that. I have found freelancing (writing, editing, design), which I did as part of all the jobs I ever had, to be just right for me. I seem to always have a client or two (knock on wood) and an hourly rate twice what I made on the job. Plus a little teaching here and there. Honestly, I would never want to have a boss again and have to abide by their nonsense. It would stress me out beyond my ability to deal with it.

For older folks who need or want a job, I suggest either Home Depot or Lowes (it they are fit on their feet), garden centers, farm stands, maybe restaurant host/ess, anything where you don't have to prove yourself and meet deadlines. Even 10 or 15 hours a week can bring in enough to pay for property tax or a vacation.
I always laugh when I read people suggest they apply at a big box store. I work at a big box store. I'm 57 and will continue to work full time until I'm 62 and then work only part time. I think most people have an unrealistic expectation of what kind of work you'll be doing. I've witnessed many people in their 50s, 60s, get hired and then quit within a few days.
Working in a large home improvement store can be back breaking. If you work an 8 hour day, you will be walking close to 10 miles during that 8 hours. I know because I've measured it. You'll be having to lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds or more, off and on all day. You'll have to be fast on your feet when you are loading out and lifting block, fencing, lumber while your phone rings constantly and someone at the other end tells you other people are waiting for you so they can get some help. Every dept has heavy objects. You'll have to keep your mouth shut and smile while some people (not everyone but enough) start complaining because they've been waiting for help and you can't get to them fast enough. Just the other day, I had a customer call me an a-hole just because I couldn't mark something down for them a few dollars. I witnessed one new employee say "I didn't sign up for this" when she was asked to sweep and clean.
Don't get me wrong, I like my job. I'm good at it and know how to deal with all of this and let it go when I go home. Not everyone can do this though, especially older people like myself. Just be aware that you won't just be walking around and greeting people as they walk in. There's a lot more to it.

Last edited by marino760; 09-26-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I always laugh when I read people suggest they apply at a big box store. I work at a big box store. I'm 57 and will continue to work full time until I'm 62 and then work only part time. I think most people have an unrealistic expectation of what kind of work you'll be doing. I've witnessed many people in their 50s, 60s, get hired and then quit within a few days.
Working in a large home improvement store can be back breaking. If you work an 8 hour day, you will be walking close to 10 miles during that 8 hours. I know because I've measured it. You'll be having to lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds or more, off and on all day. You'll have to be fast on your feet when you are loading out and lifting block, fencing, lumber while your phone rings constantly and someone at the other end tells you other people are waiting for you so they can get some help. Every dept has heavy objects. You'll have to keep your mouth shut and smile while some people (not everyone but enough) start complaining because they've been waiting for help and you can't get to them fast enough. Just the other day, I had a customer call me an a-hole just because I couldn't mark something down for them a few dollars. I witnessed one new employee say "I didn't sign up for this" when she was asked to sweep and clean.
Don't get me wrong, I like my job. I'm good at it and know how to deal with all of this and let it go when I go home. Not everyone can do this though, especially older people like myself. Just be aware that you won't just be walking around and greeting people as they walk in. There's a lot more to it.
Renovating this old house, DH and I are in Home Depot all the time. You are right of course; I often notice over-55 or 60 (mostly men on the floors) doing the kind of strenuous work you do and I never fail to be amazed. OTOH, you and they must be in great shape for all that physical labor. At some point it must take a toll.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:42 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,472,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srobens View Post
Some of us over 50 do not have the luxury to have a retirement...dependent on the 401k that you cannot access until you are 67.5 With that said, why did they increase the retirement age when both the government and society do not recognize this fact? I am starving, barely making it, lost everything and cannot get on my feet. My 30 year old let's me live with her but it should not be her concern. No grey hairs, big smiles, C++ programing skills, and more. I have a lot to offer society and others...dependable and do not feel "entitled". We all just want a sustainable job and stop the stereo typing. Please. Wake up, there are more and more of us in this situation living in poverty, when...before we were not. More of us are getting older than ever before.

WHO told you that you can't access your 401k before age "67.5"?

That's INCORRECT. You can access your 401k without penalty, as early as age 55, IF you got cut in a "workforce reduction". You would have to pay regular taxes on withdrawal.

If you voluntarily quit, or otherwise left your job, you can access the 401k without penalty at age 59.5!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
Interesting this thread got revived.

A good checkpoint for me. In the two years that went by, the Boomer brain drain has proceeded apace.

I'm scrambling to get as much knowledge into knowledge management systems as possible. One good thing, Millennials who are now up and coming are thirsty for knowledge. But that will not be enough. I'm wondering how long it will be until we start calling Boomers back from retirement in some of our key knowledge and tech industries?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:57 PM

8,209 posts, read 11,929,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
WHO told you that you can't access your 401k before age "67.5"?

That's INCORRECT. You can access your 401k without penalty, as early as age 55, IF you got cut in a "workforce reduction". You would have to pay regular taxes on withdrawal.

If you voluntarily quit, or otherwise left your job, you can access the 401k without penalty at age 59.5!
Well, you're more correct than he is, but it's also possible to access one's 401(k) even earlier than that without penalty. Anyone who leaves their job at any age whatsoever, can access their 401(k) without penalty; it's just that you're limited in how you do so. For example, distributions made as part of a series of substantially equal periodic payments over your life expectancy or the life expectancies of you and your designated beneficiary are permitted at any age without penalty as long as you are no longer employed by the entity providing the 401(k). There are other exceptions as well.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc558.html

Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 AM

23,649 posts, read 17,623,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Interesting this thread got revived.

A good checkpoint for me. In the two years that went by, the Boomer brain drain has proceeded apace.

I'm scrambling to get as much knowledge into knowledge management systems as possible. One good thing, Millennials who are now up and coming are thirsty for knowledge. But that will not be enough. I'm wondering how long it will be until we start calling Boomers back from retirement in some of our key knowledge and tech industries?
Can't depend on that forever - we all die someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or