U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:54 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,135,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Can't depend on that forever - we all die someday.
Convincing the retired to return is clearly nothing more than a tactical mitigation in response to a failed knowledge management process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,270,885 times
I'll move to a small village in Thailand before I even think about taking some part time BS job to supplement my retirement in a first world industrialized nation. The rat race just isn't worth it.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I always laugh when I read people suggest they apply at a big box store. I work at a big box store. I'm 57 and will continue to work full time until I'm 62 and then work only part time. I think most people have an unrealistic expectation of what kind of work you'll be doing. I've witnessed many people in their 50s, 60s, get hired and then quit within a few days.
Working in a large home improvement store can be back breaking. If you work an 8 hour day, you will be walking close to 10 miles during that 8 hours. I know because I've measured it. You'll be having to lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds or more, off and on all day. You'll have to be fast on your feet when you are loading out and lifting block, fencing, lumber while your phone rings constantly and someone at the other end tells you other people are waiting for you so they can get some help. Every dept has heavy objects. You'll have to keep your mouth shut and smile while some people (not everyone but enough) start complaining because they've been waiting for help and you can't get to them fast enough. Just the other day, I had a customer call me an a-hole just because I couldn't mark something down for them a few dollars. I witnessed one new employee say "I didn't sign up for this" when she was asked to sweep and clean.
Don't get me wrong, I like my job. I'm good at it and know how to deal with all of this and let it go when I go home. Not everyone can do this though, especially older people like myself. Just be aware that you won't just be walking around and greeting people as they walk in. There's a lot more to it.
I used to marvel at on older lady that worked at the Walmart garden center. You could tell that she loved plants and took better care of them than the others. But doesn't seem like she lasted long, because it is more than just watering plants. It is heavy hot work.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM

5,936 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I'll move to a small village in Thailand before I even think about taking some part time BS job to supplement my retirement in a first world industrialized nation. The rat race just isn't worth it.
Forget the small village, move to town so you can hang out at the expat bar drinking from 10:00 am on everyday. Thursday is corned beef day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or