U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,034,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
The boomers pushed hard for this dog eat dog world during the 1980s and now are reaping what they sowed.
What in the world are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
There are many stereotypes that high tech is peopled solely by Millennials and the odd Gen Xer, but in reality, especially at large established firms, there are still many Boomers.

There is a massive brain drain looming.

Of course the typical reactive corporations won't realize it until it's too late.

Stay tuned ...

Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 PM

9,741 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I am fortunate to still be employed but am coming up on what I hope will be an early retirement. In the back of my mind I can see myself working a part time job for some spending money one day. One job that looks appealing to me that I never would have thought of is medical transport driver. I have had a few medical procedures recently and needed the service. Basically they pick you up from home, take you to the medical facility and come collect you when you get released. Both times I went the employees were in their 60s and both seemed to like the job. Each said they had a lot of older retired drivers on their staff, many that work part time. Some only drove cars and dealt with people who were ambulatory (no heavy lifting). I have filed it away in the back of my mind for some future consideration and thought I would throw it out there. A targeted resume and cover letter to these services might yield results.

Medical transport driver is a thought. Made me think of the retired guy I met one time who delivered my lost luggage to me from the airport- he had a car full of luggage that he was delivering in the area.

I figure there are a number of services along this line.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:47 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Others blamed age discrimination and told them as soon as they showed up and the employer saw their grey hair they were quickly dispatched.

How many of you are happy to be retired but would love a great part time job for a little extra income cut have not got anywhere getting one?

I have had the opposite problem. Since I have retired, I have been approached five or six times with full time employment and with a couple of part time opportunities.

If someone is looking for a job, they have to look at themselves and see the image that they are projecting. Instead of focusing on how you were "wronged" in your last position, you MUST be able to build a credible story as to what YOU can offer a new employer.

Have you updated your resume to a format that is consistent with people today?
Are your skills (especially computer skills) updated?
Do you even know what social media is?
Are you flexible with your hours and the like?

Have you considered starting a business? There are so many services that are currently unmet.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:10 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
List a link to this job fair. I don't believe it exists.

Quote:

Others blamed age discrimination and told them as soon as they showed up and the employer saw their grey hair they were quickly dispatched.
Nice touch... in your fiction... why would a employer go to a job fair for people over 60 and then discriminate against older employers? Does not compute.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Default Good, but how much does that pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Medical transport driver is a thought. Made me think of the retired guy I met one time who delivered my lost luggage to me from the airport- he had a car full of luggage that he was delivering in the area.

I figure there are a number of services along this line.
Indeed various driving jobs present opportunities for retirees who need some money or just need something to do. However, isn't there an aspect of that which doesn't get discussed, namely the pay? How much do these driving jobs pay? I can't imagine it could be more than $15 or $20 per hour. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right then that's a profoundly discouraging situation for anyone who lost a REAL job and actually needs or wants to make actual money. It has to be very depressing to be forced into working for $15 per hour.

On the other hand, if one just wants a bit more spending money, likes to drive, and needs something to do to get out of the house, all is well.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM

20,704 posts, read 13,720,547 times
Quote:
I went to a Job Fair today for people who are looking to work past 60 years old. What a depressing event!

There were loads of bitter depressed people who were pushed out of their employer in their 50s who were looking for something to supplement their retirement income and get out the house and be paid for it doing something interesting and important and few of them have had any success.

Many blamed the immigrant explosion for the tough job market. They complained in the interactive seminars that employers would rather hire a young immigrant than someone over 60 for part time jobs.

How many of you are happy to be retired but would love a great part time job for a little extra income cut have not got anywhere getting one?
What you may or may not know is many "retired" persons >60 did not all do so of their own free will.

Often older employees of all professions and careers are at the top of the food chain in terms of bennies, wages. This is often but not always due to seniority. So management comes around with an offer these persons cannot refuse; "retire" now and you'll keep your pension and other benefits (such as they are) or face possible termination because the company *ahem* is going through a *restructuring* or whatever and your position might be lost. It is never put in ways that would support a lawsuit, but there you are. Oh and the kicker is these persons are most often required to sign documents that they are *NOT* being forced out due to their age and that they will not bring legal or equitable action against their employers. If they do not sign they will be likely terminated anyway but without the pension and other benefits.

So there you are; persons that had planned on working past sixty or even sixty-five suddenly find themselves retired regardless of liking it or not. For many persons especially the tail end boomers finding themselves "unemployed" so early is not what they had planned when doing their retirement schemes. Often the extra money from going back to work is not so much a luxury but really needed.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 PM

8,761 posts, read 7,689,871 times
Sorry, but I don't see this happening in my area. We have lots of retired folks working part time jobs around here. However, I am sure this varies with location. Texas is a growing area. That makes a big difference.

Try Craigslist. Or create your own business/job/service.

One other hint I've often given to job seekers: Look for the jobs most people don't want. Odd hours/ late shift/weekends. Or jobs that are messy and dirty. Jobs that have inconvenient or irregular hours. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,068,748 times
Or go to real estate school and become a realtor. Lots of over 60s people are now selling houses.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Job Fair is depressing at any age!

Go follow your passion and have some fun. I have had many PT jobs in retirement, and a few bummers (but never low pay). Except by choice... Farm harvest help, for a family that was going under. I still had a blast and worked 16-18 hrs / day doing it.

If you never took the time to learn a skill... get cracking (if that is your desire).

Know any foreign languages? Very ez to get a great PT job if you do. Need to learn a few?... go overseas and live with the poor folk for a few months.!

What do you like?
What can you do WELL?

As an employer myself... we ALWAYS jump at the chance for a dedicated PT retiree who can handle our customers well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or