Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:41 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times

Advertisements

I went to a Job Fair today for people who are looking to work past 60 years old. What a depressing event!

There were loads of bitter depressed people who were pushed out of their employer in their 50s who were looking for something to supplement their retirement income and get out the house and be paid for it doing something interesting and important and few of them have had any success.

Many blamed the immigrant explosion for the tough job market. They complained in the interactive seminars that employers would rather hire a young immigrant than someone over 60 for part time jobs.

Others blamed age discrimination and told them as soon as they showed up and the employer saw their grey hair they were quickly dispatched.

How many of you are happy to be retired but would love a great part time job for a little extra income cut have not got anywhere getting one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 02:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
I would not even bother to apply for jobs, other than babysitting, and I would not do that. I have found freelancing (writing, editing, design), which I did as part of all the jobs I ever had, to be just right for me. I seem to always have a client or two (knock on wood) and an hourly rate twice what I made on the job. Plus a little teaching here and there. Honestly, I would never want to have a boss again and have to abide by their nonsense. It would stress me out beyond my ability to deal with it.

For older folks who need or want a job, I suggest either Home Depot or Lowes (it they are fit on their feet), garden centers, farm stands, maybe restaurant host/ess, anything where you don't have to prove yourself and meet deadlines. Even 10 or 15 hours a week can bring in enough to pay for property tax or a vacation.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
I am hoping to make and sell aprons and items for the disabled. that will be my part time employment, they will be sold online.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:00 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,223 times
The government is going to concussion summit's for the NFL to discuss helmets and yet we have people who are 50 yrs old being targeted by employers. It's a disgrace.

Employers will start serving up bad reviews each time they have a review until they have enough to fire them so they can hire in the new grads and save money.

Where is the goverment? Where are the Unions?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 PM

344 posts, read 416,816 times
I am fortunate to still be employed but am coming up on what I hope will be an early retirement. In the back of my mind I can see myself working a part time job for some spending money one day. One job that looks appealing to me that I never would have thought of is medical transport driver. I have had a few medical procedures recently and needed the service. Basically they pick you up from home, take you to the medical facility and come collect you when you get released. Both times I went the employees were in their 60s and both seemed to like the job. Each said they had a lot of older retired drivers on their staff, many that work part time. Some only drove cars and dealt with people who were ambulatory (no heavy lifting). I have filed it away in the back of my mind for some future consideration and thought I would throw it out there. A targeted resume and cover letter to these services might yield results.

Last edited by Llep; 05-30-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I went to a Job Fair today for people who are looking to work past 60 years old. What a depressing event!

There were loads of bitter depressed people who were pushed out of their employer in their 50s who were looking for something to supplement their retirement income and get out the house and be paid for it doing something interesting and important and few of them have had any success.

Many blamed the immigrant explosion for the tough job market. They complained in the interactive seminars that employers would rather hire a young immigrant than someone over 60 for part time jobs.

Others blamed age discrimination and told them as soon as they showed up and the employer saw their grey hair they were quickly dispatched.

How many of you are happy to be retired but would love a great part time job for a little extra income cut have not got anywhere getting one?

It's easy to blame all sorts of things for not getting a job. I don't surround myself with such people. I have found no shortage of part time job opportunities, and I am disabled AND old.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I am fortunate to still be employed but am coming up on what I hope will be an early retirement. In the back of my mind I can see myself working a part time job for some spending money one day. One job that looks appealing to me that I never would have thought of is medical transport driver. I have had a few medical procedures recently and needed the service. Basically they pick you up from home, take you to the medical faciltiy and come collect you when you get releaesed. Both times I went the employees were in their 60s and both seemed to like the job. Each said they had a lot of older retired drivers on their staff, many that work part time. Some only drove cars and dealt with people who were ambulatory (no heavy lifting). I have filed it away in the back of my mind for some future consideration and thought I would throw it out there. A targeted resume and cover letter to these services might yield results.
I have a chauffeur's license (class D). I did medical transport when I was younger. There are lots of opportunities for some of you who like to drive and feel competent to drive others. My neighbor was glad to pay me to drive her in her car to doctors appts, etc until I decided it was time for me to quit.

I would say "bitter and depressed" is not the best way to present yourself if you're looking for a job at any age, but then I'm not bitter and depressed, so, easy for me to say.

If I could sew or climb I would do alterations or light handy man (changing light bulbs) jobs. I really miss the lady who did alterations for me before I moved. And I sorely need someone to replace bulbs in overhead fixtures. Word of mouth would keep you as busy as you want to be, judging by the complaints I hear about how hard it is to find people for the small jobs.

I made and maintained a flower bed for a lady on my street a couple of summers ago. I enjoyed that and made a little money.

I could have a flourishing business doing non invasive, non medical pedicures for the older set. You would be surprised at the number of people who can no longer care for their feet.

If I needed to work, I would be working, but as NEG said above, I wouldn't be looking for a job.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:50 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:

This is sort of a 'wake-up call' for the large number of people considering retirement who simply assume, "I can always get a decent job to help make ends meet after retirement." There are a 'ton' of younger workers (and young college grads) out there looking for the same thing! There are a very few companies who go out of their way to hire older, part-time workers, but, they are the exception, rather than the rule.

If/when the minimum wage increases to $9-$10, it's going to get even more brutal as small companies seek to replace full-time workers with part-time (saving benefits to offset minimum wage hike).

I'm sure there are exceptions to this scenario, but, as a general rule, workers in their 60's "need not apply."

Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Anyone who was serious about getting a job would deal with their grey hair before going on an interview. Its simple and common sense to make yourself look younger in any way you can.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
The boomers pushed hard for this dog eat dog world during the 1980s and now are reaping what they sowed.
80's? Its been a bottom race to wealth sharing which is like the bottom always is. Wealth sharing has been going on since the mid 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement