U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:14 AM

4,141 posts, read 2,587,409 times

Advertisements

I left my home town 35+ years ago and only returned to visit my mother. Once we moved her to where I live, I never went back again and have no desire to. It was a nice beach town in So Cal but I have no fond memories of it really and never even think of the place. So nope, won't be returning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 AM

39,554 posts, read 47,780,182 times
I went back a few years ago and found the areas to be totally unrecognizable, everything changed from new developments to completely overtaken by foreign citizens.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
yep; place and things change overtime. Its why so many moved after they can't recognize where they once lived and liked to stay there.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM

8,992 posts, read 7,758,201 times
I was born and brought up in a city adjacent to Boston MA thus the overall physical characteristics of the city do not change. No new streets, many older buildings still there though their use has changed, etc. The 100 year old house I was raised in is still there. Now instead of a two family rental it is a two unit condo but still the same house.

I left that city when I was 18. I had no goals but I was anxious to see the world so I joined the US Navy. When I got out of the US Navy at age 22, I briefly returned to live and work in that same town. I soon realized that I wanted more in life so I applied myself to getting more with education and work.

I visited that town many years later, I walked the streets and I smiled. I smiled at good memories but I also smiled that I had been able to advance beyond that environment. While it was a good family environment at the time, I was glad I was able to move beyond it and build a better life for myself.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,154,879 times
The main change for my old digs has been demographic. When I was a kid there were a few techies and many bankers and insurance people who commuted into the City. Now, it's mainly just techies. Also, it went from being mostly WASPs to an admixture of the world.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,592,634 times
A strange thing happened in my life about this. After living in quite a number of cities across this country for 20 years, at the age of 50 after returning to my "home" region again, I ended up buying a place on the next street over from where I had spent ages 1-7, even though I had purposely not looked there at all until other neighborhoods proved unsuitable. I have even run into a fellow who was a neighbor kid a few years older than me here.

The place I consider my "hometown", ages 7-23, there's no one there I know anymore, they have either died or moved out of state, I only have one friend from that period I know even in the region now.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 PM

21,916 posts, read 14,406,502 times
We knew we would move eventually, even when we didn't know when we'd move. I took a long goodbye to my hometown. At one point when we thought we had our home sold, I and DH went to every home I had lived in before I got married, and I took pictures of each place. I also took a picture of my old H.S. And then we went to our old home sites. (Our previous homes have been demolished, so the home sites are vacant. It is a very odd feeling to be in that neighborhood. ) I also visited the art museum where I had been taken a few times as a child, and where I visited when I was a young adult. I visited all "my" pictures several times. We visited other places as well. I did not visit any older work sites.

We also visited a few times in my DH's hometown and stated.

We took long goodbyes because we figured we'd not be back after we moved half a continent away. While I do miss some of my old haunts, my life is better now because I see my kids and grands more often. Overall, I think we did OK. I appreciate the long, years long goodbyes I did before our big move.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 AM

17,417 posts, read 21,259,305 times
For those that didn't have a memorable childhood, it could be torture for them to return, reawakening memories better left buried.

My childhood was half memorable, half unmemorable, but I did go back 6 years ago and tried hard to focus on the memorable, but I didn't want to stay too long, or the unmemorable might have come back.

Both childhood houses still intact, but no desire to return again.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,736,812 times
I believe in the old saying............" you can never go home again "

It usually has changed so much it is hard to relate .

Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 AM
JRR

3,685 posts, read 2,229,421 times
I was born in a small central NY town and lived there until 1958. The last time I visited, it was pretty much unchanged. Still one gas station, same old bar/hotel, the name of the little grocery store was changed. Not exactly a "Time stood still" situation as everything looked older and shabbier, but no real big changes. Certainly not a town that is going to make any list of "Best places to retire"! But I do have fond memories of those years we lived there.

I still have some relatives that live in the area and we plan to visit next year. It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, have taken place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or