U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 12:07 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 741,983 times

Advertisements

This is an old thread, wonder how Popcorn turned out.

Well anyone else, retire as soon as practical. Enjoy your life remaining, you worked hard enuf as a worker bee supporting the king and queen bees. But, I'm a slacker, so I lean to taking it easy. Trump would call me super low energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 12:27 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I just want to update my status. I did retire in Nov. 2014. I am so glad that I did this. I spent the next 18 months getting my house ready to put on the market. I accepted an offer just 6 days after it was put on the listings. A month later, I headed back home to Indiana, where I have purchased a larger, newer, but less expensive home. I have not gotten bored. I am beginning to do some volunteering and am looking forward to planning, planting and enjoying a garden. I moved to an area where the COL is so much cheaper than south Florida. Life is good!
I turned out just fine.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:28 PM

88,078 posts, read 3,670,665 times
Congratulations, popcorn. Happy to hear things turned out so well for you!

Old 12-25-2016, 12:51 AM

676 posts, read 334,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I've worked 41 years for the same non-profit. I've been putting money into a 403b for 40 years (TIAA-CREF). I am 63 years old. I just can't continue working at this place! My emotional and physical well-being is suffering....boredom, stress, lack of appreciation, etc. and a very long commute (since 1978) has just about made me nuts!

I want to retire in a few months....and take early Social Security.....so many people say to wait, but I just can't.
Do it! At this age our health has to be a priority.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:08 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
Do it! At this age our health has to be a priority.
I did, I retired November, 2014.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,617,981 times
IMO..the only people who say "wait" are the ones sitting at their desks at a job they have been at forever....looking out the window wondering 'what's happening out there'....I don't know anyone who has made the choice to take ss early and LIVE and ENJOY a new adventure who would say "wait".....lol...no way!!!!!! Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,444,420 times
Congrats Popcorn! I think I remember reading this when originally posted.

I just hit 60 and plan to retire within a year. Glad to hear you're happy and not bored. My company wants me to work another year on a consulting assignment in Kuwait and I'm weighing whether or not to continue for that year. The extra boost before retiring is seductive but I'm really feel ready to call it quits, just not thrilled to be in Kuwait another year.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:35 AM

4,104 posts, read 2,576,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I don't know anyone who has made the choice to take ss early and LIVE and ENJOY a new adventure who would say "wait".....lol...no way!!!!!! Merry Christmas to all.
There is a difference between retiring early and taking SS early. Doing the former is fine. Doing the latter is a big financial loss for most people.

Bottom line - if you can retire early without taking SS early go for it. If you cannot, you should think about it carefully. The difference between taking SS early (at 62) and taking SS at 70 is about 76% more in benefit payments at 70!!

I retired at 63 but I am waiting to take SS until I am 70.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:14 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
most retiree's really do not have the asset base behind them to retire and delay safely .

whether to delay taking ss or not is a popular topic very few without decent pensions really have retiring and delaying as an option .

most of us who delay draw the full income amount we need day 1 and the only difference is when ss kicks in the bulk of the money that used to come out of savings comes from ss instead but the income draw on an inflation adjusted basis stays the same .

it would make little sense to wait until 70 to start enjoying the ss money . so you really need the funds to lay out while delaying and take that full income draw day 1 to have delaying make sense .

i could never see us retiring at 62 and living on a partial budget while we waited for 70 . that would make no sense to us .

we take our full budget while waiting and eventually when ss kicks in we go from a 3.50% draw rate to 2.50% but you need to have enough assets to safely lay out without running your balance dangerously low . very few have that choice .

Old 12-26-2016, 04:42 AM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times
I hope to retire a year from next Saturday and am having the "But... but... one more year..." syndrome. Of thinking, anyway. How much is enough? (I have a pension). I'll be four months short of 65 in one year (and my Soc.Sec. FRA is 66).
How much is enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or