Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 AM

46 posts, read 55,986 times

Advertisements

Popcorn, congratulations!
Yep, funny how "they" are all concerned about who will replace you AND THINK THAT YOU CARE!

Ive got 4 more years, will retire after 40 yrs (hopefully!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:50 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Retirement day is less than 2 weeks away! I can hardly wait. Things seemed to calm down a bit at work. People are still asking me.... who will replace me. I don't know and I don't care.
Funny how they think you're responsible for this

Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I'm still decompressing...... It will take a while to get away from thoughts about my former job.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
I'm still decompressing...... It will take a while to get away from thoughts about my former job.

Sometimes it takes separation.

Since January, I have split my time between Chicago and Tucson. When I am in Chicago, I am always thinking about my former job which I retired from in May 2013. When I am in Tucson, I am thinking about a lot of things - but never work.

I always suggest a LONG TRIP after you retire.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sometimes it takes separation.
I always suggest a LONG TRIP after you retire.
Great idea. I did the western National Parks on my way out the door (car was packed and waiting in parking lot on my last day)

I met so many HAPPY retirees as National Park volunteers, I was hooked, and came home with more ideas of how to make retirement adventurous and affordable.

I have never 'longed' for work or had to decompress once leaving the door / VM / Email / pager / cell phone behind. National Parks help you stay 'disconnected' with the previous leashes of working life.

I think a winter as a volunteer in Yellowstone or Tetons would help TOTALLY disconnect!

Being a winter piano player in a National Park lodge would be delightful!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Great idea. I did the western National Parks on my way out the door (car was packed and waiting in parking lot on my last day)

I met so many HAPPY retirees as National Park volunteers, I was hooked, and came home with more ideas of how to make retirement adventurous and affordable.

I have never 'longed' for work or had to decompress once leaving the door / VM / Email / pager / cell phone behind. National Parks help you stay 'disconnected' with the previous leashes of working life.

I think a winter as a volunteer in Yellowstone or Tetons would help TOTALLY disconnect!

Being a winter piano player in a National Park lodge would be delightful!
Hmmmm, I live within 20 minutes of a national park. I don't think YNP has wintertime volunteers.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
Congratulations on your retirement - check with that park - they might still have volunteers in the winter.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
"...I want to retire in a few months....and take early Social Security.....so many people say to wait, but I just can't."
I'll be taking early retirement also, but I haven't heard anyone saying it's a bad idea. Probably because I've never posted in a retirement forum before, so besides the obvious reduced SS, what other downsides are there?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
I'll be taking early retirement also, but I haven't heard anyone saying it's a bad idea. Probably because I've never posted in a retirement forum before, so besides the obvious reduced SS, what other downsides are there?
S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G your feeble dollars a few more yrs (or decades for early retirees).

Similar to 'risk-tolerance'. Need to realize your ability to deal with being 'unemployed'.

With coming tax increases on earned (and investment) income, it's best to be ahead of the game and with a flexible strategy.

So far the $250/$500k tax free gains every 24 months on primary residence is the best game in town to collect some extra bones. (it works for me, YMMV)

Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
There has been so much ink spilled on that subject here in this Retirement Forum, but I think you hit on the only downside - reduced SS. People say that if you should happen to live to 90 or 95, you may regret taking it early. But if you're O.K. with retirement finances even in the case you may live a long time, then I don't see it as an issue at all. Some people don't like the idea of dying early and leaving their SS untapped, while others find themselves in desperate need of money to live on at age 62. You have to live to about age 78 (give or take) to "break even". After age 78 you are ahead of the game by having delayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement