U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times

Advertisements

I can see people's experiences with SS field offices vary greatly. I have never waited more than 30 minutes in my local office, and that's without an appointment. I have always received excellent service once my name is called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,017,296 times
I've had pretty much the best service from the Bellingham Wa. and Great Falls, Mt. offices, as I was bouncing back and forth between B.C. and Alberta. The glitch outside the country is that the 1-800 numbers are province specific and there now is no landline direct number working even if you're prepared to pay the long distance.

Since the S.S. system is logistically much more complicated than the Canadian system there was more to wade through. But inevitably government everywhere had been setting up this hidden process since the early nineties. Once in, however, the client service was great.

Thank you Naomi, in Great Falls, Mt.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I never have a problem with reducing the cost of government. I'd never go anyway, I just prefer doing everything online. Hopefully they find someone better than the guys that did the healthcare site and have it running smoothly by the time I need it in 7-8 years.

With that thought in mind, IMO they should also reduce the number of IRS employees.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes, and Expats have internet coverage, Which is much more than can be said for rural America. 16 miles from an 800,000 pop. metro area, and our only choice is 'pay-by-the-byte' dial up... bong-bong,,,

No Satt. dishes, no cell towers allowed, no dsl, no cable.
left wing conspiracy to get everyone to move to population centers to improve their 'democratic' voting concentration. Much cheaper if you only have to poll a couple cities / state. Close the rural election offices next. They serve no value.

Sure, everyone can vote online. Everyone, citizen, illegal alien, or even dead. As early and as often as one wants to....

Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,589,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Like most older people, I've had internet since around 1997 or so (many had it much sooner) but I still want to speak to a human being in person. I've had bad experiences with SS when talking to them on the phone. If I called the local office I got one answer, if I called the national office I got another answer. Finally I made an appointment and went there in person. I was given plenty of time to explain and they listened and asked questions. It made a huge difference and I don't care if I had to wait 15 minutes for my name to be called (or number or whatever) it was well worth it. There's something to be said for actual face to face human contact.
Well then you better learn to adapt. The whole point of this post was that the SS offices are going away. It doesn't really matter to me if they do or don't as i prefer online contact. But those like yourself who prefer face to face contact will need to adapt.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,589,141 times
Quote:
yes, and Expats have internet coverage, Which is much more than can be said for rural America. 16 miles from an 800,000 pop. metro area, and our only choice is 'pay-by-the-byte' dial up... bong-bong,,,

left wing conspiracy to get everyone to move to population centers to improve their 'democratic' voting concentration. Much cheaper if you only have to poll a couple cities / state. Close the rural election offices next. They serve no value.
Well you should change then. there are plenty of AOL type providers that will connect you on dial-up with unlimited data. Also, I'm unsure why you can't use satellite? The courts have held that an HOA can't ban you from using dishes so if that's the issue, it shouldn't be one.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:14 PM

730 posts, read 1,027,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Well then you better learn to adapt. The whole point of this post was that the SS offices are going away. It doesn't really matter to me if they do or don't as i prefer online contact. But those like yourself who prefer face to face contact will need to adapt.
I find it strange that some people seem to think that others who have different philosophies, opinions, preferences or circumstances MUST adapt to what they themselves think is a "better" or "inevitable" way of thinking or living.

It seems a rather cold and unfeeling attitude, in my opinion. Sure, "survival of the fittest" and all that (and I certainly have no quarrel with Darwin) but when dealing with human beings rather than giant tortoises or peppered moths it does come across as a bit harsh.

In any case, like most news stories this one seems more of the Chicken Little variety than anything else. Alarmist media-catching title and cherry-picked content.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,876,909 times
Quote:

You MUST be joking, LOL!!! You actually think there is a left wing conspiracy to get people to move to population centers? And to do it via keeping internet out of the hands of rural people?? There are meds for paranoia this extreme.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,148,738 times
The Company I work for use to have in its 200+ field offices a Customer service function. At most of the office there was 1 "Person" (Normally 3-4 Trained people) to the function. Quality control test of walk-in's ("a Secret shopper") and phone calls to them got inconsistent results

After years of not providing the quality service we expected to provide to our customers, They moved the function out of the field offices, into 4 call centers, Now 2. The call center staff is better trained then the Field staff, they do this full time, can be better monitored, The QA tests that are done show better and more consistent results from call to call. Each call taker "Owns" the call until the problem/issue is resolved, Even if the problem is send off to a different area to be worked on. That Call Center agent "owns" its till its resolved, and is responsible to see that it get resolved. If you call back, the phone system catches your phone number from the caller ID and routes it back to the same agent, if possible.

We still have one "Walk-in" office in New York City (Home office) with about 6 staffers there, Down from 12 a few years ago.

So a Call Center if done correctly Can work....

Last edited by flyonpa; 06-01-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 02:23 PM

5,396 posts, read 21,401,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
You MUST be joking, LOL!!! You actually think there is a left wing conspiracy to get people to move to population centers?
Maybe not a 'conspiracy' but there is an effort to limit so-called 'sprawl' and encourage 'metro density'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or