U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,354,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
You MUST be joking, LOL!!! You actually think there is a left wing conspiracy to get people to move to population centers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Maybe not a 'conspiracy' but there is an effort to limit so-called 'sprawl' and encourage 'metro density'.
Where do you get these ideas? You think the government is controlling where the cable/internet providers are providing their services? When has big business ever listened to the government?

Last edited by ansible90; 06-01-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 AM

10,478 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I embrace the online world. I find it really convenient. Just today, a Sunday, for instance, I was able to find out how much it would cost to send a package to Canada (granted I have a small scale at home), and even complete the info needed for the customs form, and print everything out myself. I even saved about $1.50 in postage by doing everything online. I then was able to drop it off at a local post office drop box. I didn't have to talk to anybody to do it, and didn't have to stand in line. The lobby was open, so I could drop off my package in a secure location that is temperature controlled. But the office was closed - and unneeded.

Nowadays, I find it really inconvenient to have to stand in line somewhere. I pretty much only do business now in a brick and mortar store if it's something I can't order online (fresh salad mix, milk, etc.) or can't get free shipping.
I think we all feel this way, as we post on an internet message board. But the simple fact is the web site can not give you all the answers to complex, critical questions. Questions that shape our financial future. Only a trained SS professional can. And as we are seeing the people they have answering the phones there are not trained professionals and listening to them could have disastrous consequences.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 AM

71,769 posts, read 71,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Social Security Threatens to Close All Field Offices

Need to figure out whether it makes sense to retire at 62 or 65? Wondering how much your monthly Social Security benefit will be? Been married three times and wondering what that means for your benefit?

Answers have never been farther than your local Social Security office, where employees are extensively trained to give you accurate and helpful answers. There’s a reason Social Security is the most popular of all government programs.

But that will change if the Social Security Administration’s “Vision 2025” comes to pass. Bureaucrats are mulling closure of most of SSA’s more than 1,000 community field offices in the U.S., where 43 million people sought services last year.

Even as the number of visitors continues to grow, Vision 2025 would virtually eliminate face-to-face service, replacing it with Internet services and an 800 phone number.

Read the rest here:
forget asking those low level, low payed robots a question like the above . it is so complex they could never evaluate your personall situation.

a site like social security solutions is a far better choice. they have people who know the system in and out as well as take a whole lot more into the equation.

see the link below

What Is It?

as far as what makes it so complex see the discussion we are having on city data below

Good SS analysis

Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Need to figure out whether it makes sense to retire at 62 or 65? Wondering how much your monthly Social Security benefit will be? Been married three times and wondering what that means for your benefit?

Answers have never been farther than your local Social Security office, where employees are extensively trained to give you accurate and helpful answers. There’s a reason Social Security is the most popular of all government programs.

But that will change if the Social Security Administration’s “Vision 2025” comes to pass. Bureaucrats are mulling closure of most of SSA’s more than 1,000 community field offices in the U.S., where 43 million people sought services last year.

Even as the number of visitors continues to grow, Vision 2025 would virtually eliminate face-to-face service, replacing it with Internet services and an 800 phone number.

Read the rest here:
Agents in the B and Mortar offices quite often don't have correct answers.
People on this forum are better informed.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:39 AM

10,478 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
forget asking those low level, low payed robots a question like the above . it is so complex they could never evaluate your personall situation.

a site like social security solutions is a far better choice. they have people who know the system in and out as well as take a whole lot more into the equation.

see the link below

What Is It?

as far as what makes it so complex see the discussion we are having on city data below

Good SS analysis
$250 is a small price to pay given what's at stake. With that said it's pathetic that we can not get correct answers from SS

Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,951,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
You MUST be joking, LOL!!! You actually think there is a left wing conspiracy to get people to move to population centers? And to do it via keeping internet out of the hands of rural people?? There are meds for paranoia this extreme.
In the words of the immortal Andy Grove: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you". Personally, I also subscribe to that philosophy.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 PM

28 posts, read 177,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No, no, no.

There is nothing like face-to-face with an experienced SS worker. My benefit is higher because of it. Correspondence to SS in DC got me nowhere. Couple of years later, I went to a local office, career SS person there said I was given wrong info - in a letter from DC no less. When I returned w/tax returns and same info I had mailed to DC, the issue was corrected on the spot.

Routine things can be done online. Complex problem-solving, not so much.

I HATE, absolutely HATE the online world we've become. In many cases, only local, face-to-face will do. That option should NEVER be eliminated.

I agree with you, I prefer the face-to-face interaction vs closing SS offices which is not the way to go. One too many times, I've dealt with surly and uninformed workers via phone (maybe volunteers?). And I dislike waiting for call backs when they are overwhelmed with phone calls. We have a great SS office in my neighborhood and my issues were dealt with efficiently and resolved much quicker than if I spent hours on line.

I too hate the online world --- I'm sick of waiting in lines at my local post office (especially during holidays) due to online shopaholics returning unwanted merchandise and haggling with postal workers about "free" return shipping when there is none.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz47 View Post
I agree with you, I prefer the face-to-face interaction vs closing SS offices which is not the way to go. One too many times, I've dealt with surly and uninformed workers via phone (maybe volunteers?). And I dislike waiting for call backs when they are overwhelmed with phone calls. We have a great SS office in my neighborhood and my issues were dealt with efficiently and resolved much quicker than if I spent hours on line.

I too hate the online world --- I'm sick of waiting in lines at my local post office (especially during holidays) due to online shopaholics returning unwanted merchandise and haggling with postal workers about "free" return shipping when there is none.
but I take it collecting full amount owed is first consideration. Well that might not happen in fewer years than most think. Its reported SS disability funding runs out 2016 as it is . Read the SS trustee report is my suggestion. Remember SS by law does not come out of general funds. Hate lines at Post Office then call to privatize it. You'll pay more for not waiting but that is reality.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:49 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
but I take it collecting full amount owed is first consideration. Well that might not happen in fewer years than most think. Its reported SS disability funding runs out 2016 as it is . Read the SS trustee report is my suggestion. Remember SS by law does not come out of general funds. Hate lines at Post Office then call to privatize it. You'll pay more for not waiting but that is reality.
Disability comes out of general funds as far as I know.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:35 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Disability comes out of general funds as far as I know.
No. Social Security Disability Insurance benefits come out of Social Security funds. It is one component of OASDI, that is, the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance program. However, there are two trusts within the OASDI program. One "holds" the Old Age and Survivors Insurance funds and the other "holds" the Disability Insurance funds. Historically, funds have been transferred between the two Trusts as needed. The transfer requires authorization of Congress.

Supplemental Security Income (aka SSI) comes out of the general funds. It is a welfare program that is merely administered by the SSA. I really wish the SSI program had another name. It confuses too many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or